Not open for further replies.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
What Haupe meant was clearly not "intrigue" but "distract for several hours."

It's good I've got a baby on the way because my firstborn has, for about a month now, been clearly demonstrating that he is no longer a baby or even a toddler. He is a little boy! He opened his door after bedtime tonight to request more milk. When I refilled his sippy, he thanked me and then informed me very politely that he could tuck his own self in, thank you very much. I said, "But... but can I at least have a hug and a kiss?" He considered this for a moment before deciding that would be all right. Affection dispensed, he bid me good night and shut the door. Sniff. That boy is gonna break my heart.

OL

Still a beach bum...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisabrackmann.com
Awwww, Jo!

Greetings from faraway Lake County, where, thank god, I have satellite email access. I'm visiting an old friend for a couple of days and realized that, oh crap, I have, like, deadlines and stuff. But I can get on the interwebz, so I guess I'll live.

Blogging about Chinese train trips, for those interested...

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Awwww, Jo!

Greetings from faraway Lake County, where, thank god, I have satellite email access. I'm visiting an old friend for a couple of days and realized that, oh crap, I have, like, deadlines and stuff. But I can get on the interwebz, so I guess I'll live.

Blogging about Chinese train trips, for those interested...

Lisa, have you ever considered writing a travel book? I would totally read about your travels in China. I love travel books. I've only ever done one Chinese train journey, from Ulan Bator to Beijing. We had to get off the train at Erlian so the bogies could be changed. I will never forget standing on the platform in a snowstorm and watching a steam locomotive appear out of the darkness. The station lights lit the cloud of steam in the swirling snow and a young man stepped off the footplate, smiled and said 'Welcome to China'. I loved our carriage, all wood panelled, overheated and the endless sodding music on the PA system. I fell in love with China on that journey. Brilliant.

Little1

Hakuna Matata
Registered
Reaction score
Gm all :)

Glad they almost sold out L
Aw it's hard to watch them grow up Jo. I couldn't believe it when my sis oldest started school.

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
-Morning all,
Happy Birthday, Dragon! :partyguy:
Kell, glad you survived :)

Okay, so the good news is that I have definitely improved as a writer since 2011. The bad news is that if it takes me as long to fix up the rest of the Israel book as it did the first page, it should be ready to see daylight sometime in 2019 :rolleyes:

Hope everyone has a good Sunday :)

sammyig

Vampire Connoisseur
Registered
Reaction score
Morning all.

Snow here.

Rick and LynDee- those pics of the signing look great. I wish I could have been there.

Feeling nervous about several things, but I imagine it will all work out in the end.

I may get my father's afghan done today.

I'm also excited for the Puppy Bowl! I watch it every year.

Kiahanna

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A lot has happened in the past week. I've no hope in catching up with everything so hugs to those who need it as well as yays..

LMP was fired, pending investigations into other bad stuff that she was doing. I'm relieved to not have to tolerate the bullying any more.

The day before yesterday one of my cats, Sable, has been unwell. She continued to get worse so yesterday, after realising that I had left grapes out and she had gotten hold of some, I admitted her to our emergency vets. So far it doesn't look good. The vet thinks she's in full kidney shut down. I've been careless beyond words and there is nothing that I can do to fix this. We'll know more tonight on if she's going to make it.

http://i.imgur.com/VuaZr5R.jpg

JennW

Hangin' with my writing peeps
Registered
Reaction score
Morning purgies!

Off to do housework and pay bills and go grocery shopping. WOW WHAT A FUN SUNDAY.:)

Lisa, have you ever considered writing a travel book? I would totally read about your travels in China. I love travel books. I've only ever done one Chinese train journey, from Ulan Bator to Beijing. We had to get off the train at Erlian so the bogies could be changed. I will never forget standing on the platform in a snowstorm and watching a steam locomotive appear out of the darkness. The station lights lit the cloud of steam in the swirling snow and a young man stepped off the footplate, smiled and said 'Welcome to China'. I loved our carriage, all wood panelled, overheated and the endless sodding music on the PA system. I fell in love with China on that journey. Brilliant.
I agree. Lisa, I think you'd write an excellent travel book!

Rick

"Thriller" Apprentice
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning Purgies!

(((Kiahanna))) I had no idea grapes and raisins are bad for dogs and cats, and I grew up with a stable of 5 cats and dogs. I learned about citric acid and hamsters the hard way (we lost a hamster after feeding it lemon wedges) and that chocolate can kill dogs (our friend lost her dog after feeding it chocolate). It's hard to remember that stuff we like to eat can be deadly to our pets.

Glad to hear LMP got her come-uppings and that things should be getting better at work.

dystophil

Wielder of the Literary Lead Pipe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
Morning, Purgs!

I'm indulging in some serious caffeine in order to get all of my lesson plans written and materials made for the first two days this week. Between work and student teaching, my weeks feel like a continuous, never-ending Monday. So dead, it's not funny. All hail the caffeine Gods!

Kia, I really hope your kitty is going to be okay.

And I third Lisa writing a travel book. That would be brilliant!

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
Era: blond, nevermind, if you still have your uk rights, then it wouldn't be there.

Blond and Cindy, did you realize neither of your first books is available for kindle in the UK? It never occurred to me to look before today, but neither of mine are there, though other kitlit pub books released at the same time or later are. I know americans can't buy kindle books through the uk site, but you can at least see the availability

With the increasing use of ebooks by kids and teens, I want all the sales I can get, and I'm sure you do too!

((Kiahanna)) I tried to rep you earlier but couldn't from my phone. Hope the kitty pulls through. You can never know what they'll eat, even though I used to think cats wouldn't eat anything bad for them. It's impossible to keep everything away from them.

Last edited:

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com

Lake County? Good god, you're in the middle of nowhere! Watch out for the bears!

I loved our carriage, all wood panelled, overheated and the endless sodding music on the PA system. I fell in love with China on that journey. Brilliant.

Wait... you... are you saying you had a comfortable, pleasant experience on a Chinese train? :D

Okay, so the good news is that I have definitely improved as a writer since 2011. The bad news is that if it takes me as long to fix up the rest of the Israel book as it did the first page, it should be ready to see daylight sometime in 2019 :rolleyes:

Ohhh, I hate that! But it's also good, right? Improving is good.

LMP was fired, pending investigations into other bad stuff that she was doing. I'm relieved to not have to tolerate the bullying any more.

HOORAY! That's fantastic news.

The day before yesterday one of my cats, Sable, has been unwell. She continued to get worse so yesterday, after realising that I had left grapes out and she had gotten hold of some, I admitted her to our emergency vets. So far it doesn't look good. The vet thinks she's in full kidney shut down. I've been careless beyond words and there is nothing that I can do to fix this. We'll know more tonight on if she's going to make it.

:( So sorry to hear this. Please don't blame yourself. I would never have thought a cat would eat grapes or even considered not leaving them out. It's just one of those random things you really can't predict or prevent. I hope kitty pulls through. :(

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Jo just said everything I'd have liked to.

No blame on the kitty, promise? I shall cross everything I've got for her recovery.

No news here. Which is a good thing, right?

Maryn, empty-headed

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Wait... you... are you saying you had a comfortable, pleasant experience on a Chinese train? :D

(

Yep! It was...an adventure. The food improved considerably once we crossed into China. On the Mongolian side...not so much. I won't be eating Borscht for a long, long time. *shudders*. The trip was worth it just for the things we saw.

((((K)))), no way is it your fault. I knew grapes were bad for dogs but had no idea that applied to cats too. I hope your cat pulls through.

xiaotien

bedazzled /bootay shaker!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
mornin' puglets!

amarie, yes, i did. you would have
had to sell uk rights to have your ebook
available there, i believe?

kia, hugs.

family day then chinese school!

SelmaW

Follow your heart; take your brain
Registered
Reaction score
((((Kiahanna)))) I'm so sorry about your sick kitty. Grapes do seem like such a strange thing for a cat to eat. I knew that dogs could get sick off them, but I didn't even know that about cats.

*hails caffeine gods with dystophil*

Going to a coffee shop to try to get some writing in before going riding. It's snowing here, but come rain, wind... no wait that's the post office.

xiaotien

Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
amarie, they are?

huh. it's amazon right?

/don't care.

isn't that sad?

eta: what other versions are there? i can
only think of nook? sony? it might be a HC
thing. *shrugs*

Kiahanna

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for their well wishes.

I am actively restraining myself from phoning my vets for an update. She is due to take blood again at 6, and then to call me once the results are in so I just have to wait for that...

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
amarie, they are?

huh. it's amazon right?

/don't care.

isn't that sad?

thing. *shrugs*

Ack! I want you to care. Both your hardcovers and paperbacks are there, because I assume Harper held on to the uk rights in your case as they did mine. I just know i'm more likely to sell ebook copies of anything in the years to come, so I want them available.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
thing. *shrugs*

I suspect what's happening is that the existing US paperback is being sold through Amazon UK - slightly naughty, but since there is no UK publisher, they're not stepping on anyone's toes. But since UK ebook rights were never sold, there is no ebook available through Amazon UK.

xiaotien

Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
amarie, my hard copies have always
been there via amazon but not a uk
edition. ebook has never been in uk
that i know of.

i have too many other things to
focus on alas. even if i cared, uk