The No News is No News Purgatory Thread, Volume 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

vfury

Hearts the furrily challenged.
Registered
Reaction score
Evening, Purgatory!

Repped as I went. Nothing much happening with me. Still sick. Tired of being sick. Blergh. Got 800 words written during lunch, though, when I expected only about 400, so I've salvaged something out of today.

Lela, could I get a rep about the super sekrit project? Thanks!

xiaotien

bedazzled /bootay shaker!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
stuffed from jewish deli lunch.

yum!

the hatched bugs are dead. i'm hoping
the ones in the eggs still are too. i am
curious to see what they are--but am afraid
to google. they had little wings though, and
were black. i'm almost sure of it.

flies? i thought flies spawned in poo.

am i make this shit up? haha

xiaotien

Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
happy domestic news!

i'm buying a love seat!
just went to get fabric swatches.

we have ONE sofa in our living room
and hub hogs it like an emperor. as in
lies down across it and works on sofa as
well.

there is a single recliner but it's gotten
so there isn't enough sitting space for
the entire family. esp as the bubs get bigger.

our living room is set up awkwardly, so
a love seat is perfect. i'm excited!

i'm also hoping to reupholster our old sofa
if possible. it's seen a dozen years or more
with new babies then toddlers all over it.
not to mention hub. =p

Dragonstar

a wishin' and a hopin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*runs in*

((((((((Purgies))))))))

How did my life get so busy? I never seem to have much time lately. Love you all, though.

*Runs back out*

Rick

"Thriller" Apprentice
Registered
Reaction score
Evening Purgies!

Lily - WOOHOO on VT on your friend's eReader!

Para - WOOT! for clink-clink!

Lisa - Yay! for the new contest and FB Likes!

(((Sunna))) for the tax refund devouring trees, but Yay! for directional epiphanies!

(((Sammy))) Vamp dist for your queries!

(((Shveta))) for the R. Revenge Query! (And thanks for the cupcake!)

(((Fury))) Get well soon!

(((Tas))) I think we're going to have to take turns holding each other. I hit the Job-search / interview trail next week.

IDK - I can barely work on one thing at a time. I'm too easily distracted by... SQUIRREL!

Cindy - let me know if you're able to get a good price on reupholstery. We have a nice set in the basement with a pull out bed, but it's faded from 12 years of sunlight. I figured it would be cheaper to buy new than pay for the labor to reupholster. Maybe I should look into it though...

LynDee - less than 20 hours to go!!! And no sore throat yet! :hooray:

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
Rick - No way, your wife will kick my ass. ;)

Rick

"Thriller" Apprentice
Registered
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure, with your weapon skills, you'd come out on top. We'll just have to hold each other figuratively to prevent any dust-up, though. Unless you're wearing one of your new corsets...

BTW - I forgot to mention yesterday - while I was at the pharmacy waiting for Brett's meds, I poked though a used DVD bin, and found the new Star Trek reboot from 2-3 years ago for $3.99, plus one of my favorite movies - the original Planet of the Apes with Charleston Heston. I remember watching it as a kid, as a World Premiere Movie (back when there were only 3 channels - before cable, when you had to climb onto the roof every once and a while and tweak the antenna). The realization at that last scene was gut-wrenching and has stuck with me to this day.

BTW 2 - Haupe's the BEST!

Last edited:

mikeland

Call me Pookie
Registered
Reaction score
Rick - Planet of the Apes definitely has one of the all-time classic endings. But when was the last time you saw it? I watched it again not that long ago. The apes are looking a little, well, rubbery.

All this promotion talk has been great. Though I'm thinking about it way too much given that my release date is still seven months away.

I use duotrope a lot, but for short story subs (and it hasn't changed at all since going paid). I tried to research book publishers there and found it hard to deal with. Not sure why there is a difference but for me there is. I've found the only way to get a real feel for a small publisher is their website.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
i'm buying a love seat!
just went to get fabric swatches.

we have ONE sofa in our living room
and hub hogs it like an emperor. as in
lies down across it and works on sofa as
well.

there is a single recliner but it's gotten
so there isn't enough sitting space for
the entire family. esp as the bubs get bigger.

our living room is set up awkwardly, so
a love seat is perfect. i'm excited!

i'm also hoping to reupholster our old sofa
if possible. it's seen a dozen years or more
with new babies then toddlers all over it.
not to mention hub. =p
We had a wing chair and our dining room chairs reupholstered. In the end, it would have been cheaper to buy new on the wing chair. The dining room set, we'd have had to break up, so I guess that was worth it.

I'd only reupholster if the piece was absolutely top quality in the first place, like Stickley or the equivalent, with a solid hardwood frame and tied springs. Anything less won't be worth the labor.

You can always post it on Craigslist in late August, and some student will be delighted to have a stained or faded sofa or chair.

A loveseat is lovely to have, I bet. Never had one here. I was pressing for one when we bought this sectional, which is already looking pretty beat up.

Rick, you lucked out on those two movies, both good ones.

My steal for movies was Lonesome Dove for 95 cents not long ago. It was at a charitable craft and sewing odds and ends store, and I presume the women who price the goods just don't know what they ought to charge. I bet they don't see many DVDs. I was surprised to see them myself.

I worked on edits much of the afternoon. I agree with nearly all the editor's suggestions, but already feel both guilty and defensive about not agreeing with every little thing. Which I know is silly. I have one section to rewrite from the ground up, but I should finish it this weekend.

Maryn, fingers crossed, drinking wine

xiaotien

Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
maryn, i've heard same.

i love shape of current sofa. we'll see.

rick--will let you know.

found my egg fotos online but no ID.

Bluestone

It's never too late to dream big
Registered
Reaction score
Happy Friday dear purgies!

My last company left on Wednesday! I should be celebrating and jumping up and down, but it was my youngest sister and her husband, and not only are they the best houseguests you could ask for, they took us to dinner on the last night and bought us a great GPS system for my husband's car! I know smart phones have them these days, but I've had factory GPS forever, and I much prefer one on/in a car. My husband's car doesn't have one and I mentioned to sis/hub that I got lost the other day. Voila! A GPS.

OTOH, I'm feeling healthy and can get some work done now.

Love the GJB story.

I know something awful is happening with Caleb, but I think he deleted it. Hugs seem to be in order though. :Hug2:

Shveta, vamp dust!

((Tas)) I don't want to be trite, but I know you'll find something better. I truly believe it works out that way.

Rick, hugs for flu, but I am supremely confident they'll be beating a path to your door on the job hunt. :D

Maryn, good luck on edits.

Fury, get well! Rest, vitamins and fluids!

The more I read of book deals and sales, the more I appreciate the sales of my little non-fic. The trick is getting payments from my publisher. Remember I had to press them for over 4 months last year? A new royalty period ended Dec. 31 and I haven't yet received the sales report I requested, much less payment. I feel it's going to start all over again. *sigh*

I'm a hugger, so more hugs for everyone else - for good news and bad. I'm back to work for a bit and then a glass of wine.

dystophil

Wielder of the Literary Lead Pipe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
Evening everyone!

Second week of full-time teaching over with and though I'm generally feeling pretty good about things and am getting lots of encouragement from all kinds of people, I'm pretty wiped.

Repped some, but I hate being so out of the loop because of all the busies. What did I miss?

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
I've realized that I'm not disappointed over not getting THAT job, so much, as I'm disappointed that I'm not leaving my current situation. Those brief few weeks where I thought I saw freedom glimmering ahead of me were pretty awesome, and now that's gone. And I'm bummed.

dystophil

Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
Well...I filed my taxes. The good thing is it's done. The bad thing is, I'm so considerably broke now. Sigh.

Oh well. Onward to do some more teachy stuff, since I've got ALL the things due at university next week. Really would help if they wouldn't saddle us with a ton of course work on top of full-time teaching on top of a full-time job. Eek.

Rick

"Thriller" Apprentice
Registered
Reaction score
:hi: Hi Blue! Enjoy the wine!

Mike - it's been a few years - maybe a decade since I saw the original movie. From what I remember, it's definitely not as good as the CGI these days, but not bad considering it's all makeup and rubber.

* Get your stinkin' paws off me! *

I'm gonna head up and watch a movie with Lynne, hoping she doesn't infect me before tomorrow's trek to LynDee's Book Release party. Lynne won't watch Planet of the Apes - it scared her as a kid and she still won't watch any of those movies. Same thing with Godzilla and especially Gammera (the flying turtle with flames shooting out its shell). Scared her silly and I haven't yet been able to talk her into watching one. Star Trek is a slim possibility - she's not into Sci Fi at all - still hasn't seen a single Star Wars movie - not her thing. On our Netflix queue, I have to alternate Chick Flicks between the good ones to keep her happy. * sigh * The things I do for love.

Maryn - great job on the edits! Good luck this weekend.

Dys - congrats on surviving the second week! How many more to go?

Tas - if there's one good thing about my foray into writing, it's taught me how to deal with rejection. I'd normally be trembling at the thought of interviewing and the potential rejections. But now, it's like - Pffffffft! I'll start worrying after tanking the first 100.

found my egg fotos online but no ID.
Do they look like this?

sperm-fertilizing-egg_zpsd360310c.jpg

dystophil

Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
Dys - congrats on surviving the second week! How many more to go?

I'll be teaching for 52 days today, so I'm about a fifth of the way done. :tongue

Eleven weeks total. I'll be all done by April 12.

Enjoy the movie, Rick!

Enjoy some wine for me, too, Blue!

Good job, agent and book vamp dust for everyone on the hunt. I need to put "resume paper" on my shopping list, too. ;)

FruitTree

Registered
Reaction score
Hello Purgatory!

I am home with Mr. Fruit (doesn't that sound wrong) enjoying champagne - just because.

Hope you all are having as nice an evening as we are!

lwalker

Butterflies
Registered
Reaction score
Rick, don't get sick! If I get any sleep at all, tomorrow will rock!

Guys, I cannot get my head around this sales stuff. It just hit number one in new humorous fiction books and kindle books. Holy crap. I woke up Tuesday convinced it wouldn't sell a single copy.

I would just like to go on the record with another thank you to all of you for the years of encouragement and education. This has been an unforgettable week, and it would not be so without purgatory. :heart:

*snorples everyone*

Eta: (((tas))) you will find a way out of there, hon. Don't be bummed.

Must try to close my eyes now. I have a party tomorrow I have to be coherent for.

lwalker

Butterflies
Registered
Reaction score
C, I can't rep from my phone, but send me the name of the shop and I'll call them. :) that would be lovely!

xiaotien

Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
LW that is amazing! congrats!!

rick, how are the sickiesin your
house?? keep healthy!

hub has agreed to the fabric for
the new love seat. hoorah!

Vespertilion

Flying blind on a rocket cycle.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Here, LynDee. :) It's right down town, and the shelving is a little eccentric, but they do new and used both, and are always doing something to bring people in.

Just let me know if you want to do something there--I'm happy to local-gopher for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.