The No News is No News Purgatory Thread, Volume 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

LGwenn

Rollin' Boulders, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
LYNDEE! That's AWESOME!

Lily- Not really a Rat Rool... Well... I'm a t a place where I'm making my own Rat Rools. :p

So it's a still not talking about it in Public project... But when it gets closer you can bet your sweet bippie that I will be dragging Purgatorians along for the ride.

:D

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Koala turnipcy? Please rep me Cricket!

And me too, LWalker!!!!

I'm a public school kid and so are my kids, but we have good schools here. I had a merit scholarship to an expensive nerdy college and I really appreciated being among so many serious students. Now I work at an expensive private college -- the kids are really smart but feel like a more privileged, entitled bunch.

Vespertilion

Flying blind on a rocket cycle.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Koala! Cover your shame!

Trinza

!!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ztringali.wordpress.com
I don't know what's going on with this koala thing, but now I'm looking at pictures of koalas! So... I'm okay with that.

Little1

Hakuna Matata
Registered
Reaction score
I would like a rep :)

The thought of a Mini Blond/ Mini JL also make me happy :D

All, I am agan going to have to not stay long. I get boddy shaking coffing fits :( i think its more then my allergies and will atteped to see the doc soon.

idontknowwhatimdoing

Procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
All this tuition talk is insane! I have no idea where I'm going to end up when I settle down but it's definitely not here (SE Virginia--hate it) or where I grew up (Long Island--so crowded and expensive now)...But I never really thought about school quality. My school district was so small and homogeneous and sheltered and you just went there if you lived there. There were no choices, just 2 elementary schools and one jr/sr HS. Or if you were rich, you went to Catholic school. Oh, and I can't even imagine how much college tuition will cost when my hypothetical children are of age!

Dragonstar

a wishin' and a hopin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Feel free to help spread the word about Blond's wonderful interview. :)

Not much else going on.

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
Oh God...tuition. I went to private school my entire life so I am pretty sure my parents are broke bc of me. I know for a fact my HS was 30k a year and my college was 40k and last year(when I graduated) went up to 42k. A friend's college in upstate NY (a baby Ivy, V@$$@r) was 50k when we started(2008) so I am sure it's ridiculous now.

In other news, :D I am querying like a fiend and.....not one response. *eye roll*

In better news I'm reading a lot. Next up is A D1SC0V3RY 0F W1TCH3$ - has anyone read it? I hope it's good. :D

Hope you all are staying warm, dry and indoors. (crazy winds here in Boston!!)

idontknowwhatimdoing

Procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck with the queries, Smiley! So exciting!

I wanted to read that book, tell me how it goes! I have so many books TBR in my kindle, it seems I buy a few every week from the daily deals. Plus, I keep turning to those addicting hist. romance novels instead of reading my "research" YA books. Woops. Oh, and I promised myself I would get to read the 4th and 5th G@me of Thr0nes books if I finished my first novel, but they are such time sinks! I literally can read them for hours before realizing I haven't done anything else with my day. :)

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on your news, lwalker!

I checked D!scovery out from the library but didn't even begin it before I had to take it back. I want to give it a try again. I was just daunted by the size of the hardcover and didn't want to carry it around with me, so I didn't read it. Ha! Isn't that the worst reason ever for not reading a book? *whines* "It's too heavy..." I'm interested in it in part because the author is a historian of science (and I am a historical sociologist of science).

lwalker

Butterflies
Registered
Reaction score
More thanks, y'all! :)

I have had more wine. Going to watch Bones and go to bed. :)

*snorples everyone*

Vespertilion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Several zombie rejections this week. Must be coming up on some sort of business quarter/panic-time.

SelmaW

Follow your heart; take your brain
Registered
Reaction score
Tuition... yeesh. It's another bubble like the housing bubble. I'm lucky enough that I only came out of school with about 12k of loans, but still no fun.

Smiley, may the query-force be with you. It takes approximately a metric eternity to hear back, seems like.

Vespertilion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In more delightful news, my cloven darlings, I designed and commissioned a Krampus springerle mold for cookies, papercraft, whatever.

If any of you would like to have a food-safe resin copy of your very own, House on the Hill will make them for us for $37 apiece. I'd like to get an accurate count of takers, so I can make sure the cost of the master mold is going to be worth it. Rep me if you're in. :)

};~)>

ETA: The mold is around 5 inches tall, for an idea of the size.

Last edited:

dystophil

Wielder of the Literary Lead Pipe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
Clovia, that sounds awesome. Alas, broke Dys is broke. Love the idea though! You'll have to take pics of the finished baked goods when you get it! :D

Student loans are an evil topic. I'll focus on the fact that I'll graduate in less than three months instead. :tongue

Vespertilion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No prob, ladies. Once she has the master on file, I think we can come back and order another at any time :)

*egotistically assuming you'd eventually like to have one*

*preens*

*suddenly clutched by irrational anxiety*

Haupe

Mad Thread Killa
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janohara.net
I have a feeling this is going to be a big-ass rep, so brace yourselves.

loveshower.gif
Happy Release Day, lwalker!
2vsj1nm.gif
1+ Can someone kindly rep me since lwalker's gone to bed?!

Speaking of not being deterred, I joined this email job list specifically for educators looking to work in the field of German and got a listing for what is basically my dream job, only that it's not teaching. It's in New York and I probably don't have a shot at this at all, but hey, you never know, right...?
Don't undersell yourself, Ms. Brilliant. Great news about the feedback.

Thus, this kind of freak weather makes me think that humanity finally went too far and we're all about to die messy revenge-deaths.
Me too, Lily. We've gone from -43 Celcius yesterday, including windchill, to a projected high of plus 5 this weekend. Our normal should be ~minus 20, and we're known for weather change, but this is ridiculous.

i also checked in with cuddles and his firm
is closing and he's working on being acquired
by another--so super busy. we miss you cuddles!
Thanks for checking in with him, Cindy.

Good luck, Steve-O.

^ Can I just say that the anticipation of preggers Blond and the resulting mini-Blond/mini JL fills me with delight? Because it does.
1+

Yes, the drugs are everywhere in every type of school. I told both my kids when they hit seventh grade that what they did from that point on was going to help determine their future, so their choices are their own and they're going to have to make the right ones. It seems to help for them to have the responsibility of making the choices themselves based on thinking about consequences, rather than just doing or not doing something because their parents told them to.
This is how we work, too.

sunna and other fitnicks, have you heard of Fitocracy? (As if you need another social media site.) It's like a mini Facebook with challenges and points built into the posting and profile. Rather neat.

Ye gods, x-cin. And no, no homeschooling for us either. Thaaaat would be my personal nightmare. :)
I wasn't keen on the idea either, but we almost went this route for my son when he was in grade 5. There are a number of models here. The one which appealed was to have him take his core courses through an online program, then have his music and sports, etc., organized formally with others. We decided he needed more socialization than this would provide, but he's not made for the factory school system. Fortunately, we were able to find a school that fit his personality.

Eep on the talk about private schools and tuition. You guys have a system that's so different from ours, it might be from another planet.

wait, a newer puglet is a lawyer too, i believe?
That's Chan, I believe.

There are a few around here, yeah. I have cousins who went to Phillips. The one I mentioned is called G0vern0r's Academy. It used to be called Governor Dummer's Academy, but they changed the name a few years ago for obvious reasons lol.
:) A junior high in our city is called Vernon Barford.
[
LynDee, rep meeee!

I don't get the koala-turnip thing either. *is confused*
For the past...year, Red's avatar has been a koala holding a turnip with the caption "query koala turnip." I would assume that means she either has a Rat Rool of her own, she tired of the image, or she tired of querying. Red?

LGwenn, if you're repping, I want one!

In better news I'm reading a lot. Next up is A D1SC0V3RY 0F W1TCH3$ - has anyone read it? I hope it's good. :D
Blue read it and recommended it far and wide.

{{{Clovia}}}
1+

In more delightful news, my cloven darlings, I designed and commissioned a Krampus springerle mold for cookies, papercraft, whatever.
I don't bake, so I'm not in, but very cool.

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
For the past...year, Red's avatar has been a koala holding a turnip with the caption "query koala turnip." I would assume that means she either has a Rat Rool of her own, she tired of the image, or she tired of querying. Red?

I don't think those are the right guesses but it's Red's choice to disclose if it's what I think it is. In any event, yay Red! (it was a thing we were aware of in the pit.)

Status
Not open for further replies.