The No News is No News Purgatory Thread, Volume 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick

"Thriller" Apprentice
Registered
Reaction score
I'm just nervous - I won't be able to relax and enjoy my time off until I have another job lined up. I won't start the new job until April at the earliest, so I've got the opportunity for some proper goofing off - after I have a new job lined up, of course.

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Pretty baby pictures, Jo!

Lovely Chinese beauty, Cindy!

Good luck on the job search, Rick, and well, everyone, since almost everyone seems to have had it with where they are. Kia, you get the first dibs.

My preschooler was sick today and threw up in the library when I was talking to my librarian friend who is planning a young writer's workshop and seems to be under the impression that I am helping to run it. I think I said I'd "help out however I could," but that means "leading the teen workshop." Um.... not really qualified or experienced for that.

Very happy to find out that my second grader's art was chosen for the district-wide art show! There are 7,200 students in the district so it's a big honor, and she's not as confident as I would like so I'm glad she's been recognized. Of course, the show is tomorrow, but somebody forgot to tell the parents from her school until today -- oversight.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Hey all. Still hoping to diagnose the dead laptop. Heading to B3st Buy tomorrow to stare at choices. Want a macbook but might settle for a newer toshiba. Gah. Eyes still hurt typing on phone. Night all

dystophil

Wielder of the Literary Lead Pipe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
Macbook! Macbook! Yes! :D

Evening Purgs!

Yay for all the good news around here! Go everyone! :D

Tas and Rick, extra vamp dust for the job search! I'm joining the ranks of you resume tweakers and have officially applied for a rather shiny-sounding summer teaching gig and am trying to line up all my ducks for school district interviews starting in March. Anticipation, I has it.

Not much here. Survived my first week of teaching and from next week on, it will be pretty much just me, all the time. I came home, had some food and promptly dozed off for a three hour nap, because I was so dead. :tongue

Oh well, now I can go to my er "day job" for the next three nights. Ugh. Tired. Drag...

Red-Green

KoalaKoalaKoala!
Registered
Reaction score
At the publishing party, whacking the piñata
Website
www.bryngreenwood.com
People who love me have told me that my voice will cut thru cinderblock, so I'm totally up for audiobooks. ;o)

Rick, perhaps you'll be amused that my pop who just retired went and applied for a job as a Wal-Mart greeter. He's been sayin he was going to for years but we always thought he was joking.

Rick

"Thriller" Apprentice
Registered
Reaction score
Damnit!

* scratches top job off list *

Rick

"Thriller" Apprentice
Registered
Reaction score
(((little Kell))) Oooh, you're putting together a young writer's workshop? When is it? (Congrats on big-ger Kiddo's art being selected! Good luck tomorrow!)

Thanks Dys! Good luck with your job search too! And get some sleep!

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
Rick, I am unclear about what I'm supposed to do. On the one hand, my librarian friend (who I only know from the library -- I spend a lot of time there) says she's just happy I'm going to be there. And yet she assigned me responsbility for the teens. I'm not a teacher and I don't even write YA! Oh well. I'll just make them write stuff.

lwalker

Butterflies
Registered
Reaction score
Ugh. This stupid cold has finally made me feel sick.

Bright side: I have no appetite when I have a cold, which has staged off the usual snow day snack fest. But I feel crummy now.

Lil, I say treat yourself to the MacBook. I have an air, and I love it!

Rick and others, thank you for the sweet comments and reps. Just like before, I keep staring at the contract and grinning.

Rick, good luck with the job hunt. I'm sure you won't have any trouble at all.

Red, I love the story about your dad. My mom would have liked that, I think. She could talk to anyone.

Night, all. Not even any cold meds in the house, and we can't go out because of the snow. Boo.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Rick, I am unclear about what I'm supposed to do. On the one hand, my librarian friend (who I only know from the library -- I spend a lot of time there) says she's just happy I'm going to be there. And yet she assigned me responsbility for the teens. I'm not a teacher and I don't even write YA! Oh well. I'll just make them write stuff.

May I make a suggestion? I think something most teen writers could use is a lesson in helpful/effective critiquing, both giving and receiving. It's a valuable skill not just for writing, but in taking criticism throughout life. :) (And it's something I wish I had learned much earlier in life!)

Ugh. This stupid cold has finally made me feel sick.

Nooooooo! May it pass quickly.

As for me, time for bed!

timp67

Guinea pig in the laboratory of God
Registered
Reaction score
This thread can run, but it cannot hide!

xiaotien

bedazzled /bootay shaker!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
MIsSED YOU TIM!

greg and i talked about
you on our book signing
adventure. did your ears burn?? =D

Kiahanna

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yay it's Saturday! Today shall be a writing day while listening to The Hobbit soundtrack (which if you haven't heard yet you must, even if it's just the some The Mountains of Mist). So many great songs!

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
Kiahanna, sounds like a good day.

Up early because kiddo has to take the SAT. His school wants them to take it twice, so this one is sort of a practice one, but he is dreading the essay part. I've read some of the practice prompts and they are hard! Plus his handwriting is terrible unless he writes so small that aging eyes need a magnifier to read it. We'll all be glad when it is done.

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
Have "fun" Dee. At least more than your son.

Good writing, Kiahanna!

Good morning. Since it snowed here, I predict that I will be playing in the snow and going to the art show as my Saturday.

sammyig

Vampire Connoisseur
Registered
Reaction score
Morning all.

Still snowing here. We've got a veritable winter wonderland going on. I hope it quits soon, as I would like to get out of the house sometime. I'm starting to get that twitchy feeling.

I plan on writing and possibly finishing crocheting an afghan for my Dad.

((hugs for everyone that needs them))

I'm kind of brain dead. They made me do simple math half-asleep.

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
Kell, I second Jo. I used to write as a teen and do workshops and summer camps and...okay I was a nerd..lol. One thing I don't think I ever learned until college was how to take and receive critique. How to give it properly. I only knew the "kind" (Oh this is good! X part was so interesting!) feedback. I wish I'd known how to give critique and receive so I could improve, and y'know not wait til I was many years older to learn how to revise/edit. Good luck!

Rick, good luck on the job hunt. I feel you though obviously not in the same position.

Lily, I have a Macbook (2008) and love it. But I've also heard great things about Toshiba and HP. *shrug* It's up to you but I am always converting peeps to Macs lol. Including my mom (she now has an iPad). :)

Little1

Hakuna Matata
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning all :) I am hopin to get some writing done today. Well atleast outlining :)

LIl, that stinks :( puters can be ssssooo expensive and they only last about 2-3 years the way we use them :(

idontknowwhatimdoing

Procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
Rick, close enough. :D

I second Macs... At least for longevity. I had an iBook that lasted over 5 years. When it died, I couldn't afford another so I went to the dark side. Had an asus for 2 years before it died and then got this samsung which lasted all of ohhhh 3 MONTHS. :I

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Morning, humans!

Maryn, semi-human

charmingbillie

Are we there yet?
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning! Short post from me because Blue is lying on my arm.

Repped as I read. Good luck to everyone job hunting. Happy writing!

WritingDemons

Reclusive doesn't begin to cover it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jackykendricks.blogspot.com
For those that haven't seen my mad squeeing on twitter and facebook, I'm going on an impromptu road trip!

My sister and I decided we wanted to drive down to Phoenix Arizona to go to one of our favorite author's signings! It's going to be an insane trip, since she needs to be back Monday morning for school, but I don't care! I'm going someplace new, with someone who's fun to travel with, and I get to meet one of my writing idols. I'm more excited than a kid on Christmas who got the pony she asked for.

Just...just. EEEEEEEEEEE! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.