Emanuel Church has a donate button on their website, if you'd like to help.

See also the Mother Emanuel Hope Fund

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Books that mix contemporary plots/characters with low fantasy worlds?

Books that mix contemporary plots/characters with low fantasy worlds?

Hi everyone!

You know how agents always say you should never claim there was nothing like your book out there? I definitely won't make this claim in a query letter, but I haven't actually found any books who mix genres quite the way I do. So I was wondering if anyone here might know something that comes close.

I write YA novels that have characters that feel pretty much the same as those in contemporary YA (think Sara Zarr, John Green, E. Lockhart, etc.) and the plots are always primarily about character relationships (conflicts between siblings, love stories, etc.) BUT they are set in a fantasy world. This fantasy world does have magic and its own countries, cultures, languages and technologies, but it also has a modern feel (they have buses and high schools and a relatively familiar society) and is not what the main focus of the book is about. I try to make the fantasy elements relevant to the premise/plot but it's never the most important thing.

Does anyone know books out there (YA or otherwise) that do this? I would really love to find something.

OR does anyone know other types books with fantasy worlds that feel familiar and modern/western?

Any ideas are appreciated!

Elenma

You might want to check out Clive Barker's incredible Abarat series. It's YA, mixes the modern and the mundane with the magical and the otherworldly, and it is fabulously written. (It's also scary as hell, though, so if that's not your bag of balls, you may want to sidestep it all together.)
    Richard

It was that bastard man’s voice that woke my father. Papu found himself back in his cell, lying atop a lush bed crafted of various male and female organs and his enemy's passions. Strong with that bastard man’s magic, the organs restrained Papu and sensually rubbed against him. Some xxxxxxx him and some xxxxxx with his xxxxxxx.

Poetry and Jest

Quote Originally Posted by richcapo View Post
    (It's also scary as hell, though, so if that's not your bag of balls, you may want to sidestep it all together.)
    Uh-oh. Maybe I shouldn't read it... I did read The Thief of Always a long time ago and don't remember it being too scary, but that's my only experience with Clive Barker's writing.

Anyway, thank you so much for the tip. I'll definitely look it up!

The glint of light on broken glass Tolstoyce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Elenma View Post
    Hi everyone!

You know how agents always say you should never claim there was nothing like your book out there? I definitely won't make this claim in a query letter, but I haven't actually found any books who mix genres quite the way I do. So I was wondering if anyone here might know something that comes close.

I write YA novels that have characters that feel pretty much the same as those in contemporary YA (think Sara Zarr, John Green, E. Lockhart, etc.) and the plots are always primarily about character relationships (conflicts between siblings, love stories, etc.) BUT they are set in a fantasy world. This fantasy world does have magic and its own countries, cultures, languages and technologies, but it also has a modern feel (they have buses and high schools and a relatively familiar society) and is not what the main focus of the book is about. I try to make the fantasy elements relevant to the premise/plot but it's never the most important thing.

Does anyone know books out there (YA or otherwise) that do this? I would really love to find something.

OR does anyone know other types books with fantasy worlds that feel familiar and modern/western?

Any ideas are appreciated!

Elenma
    This is what I do!! I just call mine YA fantasy, because fantastical elements are still important to the plot, but the characters and their relationships are just as important. We should talk.

Visit my blog, s'il vous plaît?
    Follow me on Twitter!

Status of My Novels

The Hollow Between: Complete, editing
    The Flames Within: Complete
    The Pardoning (Working Title): WIP