Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Writer's Bloq / Collective Presse

Patron Saint of Sarcasm plunderpuss's Avatar

Writer's Bloq / Collective Presse

I have a friend being published by Collective Presse. The editors discovered his Writer's Bloq profile and solicited his novel.

He says he "maintains rights" to his book, which already worries me, because they can't publish it without using some of his rights for good--first-time digital publishing rights, even if they're non-exclusive, are still gone. He also said, "once a certain sales quota is reached, representatives from the Collective Presse will help me find and negotiate print rights with a conventional publisher."

Does anyone have experience with these people? Is it likely that my friend's interpretation of their business model is just incorrect because this is new and confusing to him, or should I be telling him to jump ship?

http://writersbloq.com/collectivepresse
    Last edited by plunderpuss; 01-24-2013 at 07:20 AM. Reason: typo

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    As of July, became a full-time "book accelerator". Which, despite all the talk about publicity, looks to be acting as agent for both published and unpublished books.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Site's borked, and FB ceases mid-'14. Anyone have recent contact?
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: