• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Do you write slower at the beginning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
If you make up your story as you write it, does it take longer when you are writing the beginning? Do you notice a difference between novels and short stories in this aspect of writing?

Beachgirl

Not easily managed
Registered
Reaction score
I completely wing it, but I find I actually write faster at the beginning. It's the middle, right around 15k-20k, when it slows down and I struggle. Once I get to around 25k-30k it starts to take off again.

katci13

creative genie
Registered
Reaction score
Oh my gosh yes! I write more words in the last 3 weeks then I write in the previous 2 months. At the beginning I have a lot of doubts and worries and I'm still getting used to things. At the end, all the doubts are gone and I write like a crazy person because I want to see how it's going to end.

I do notice a difference. A short story for me can be slow all the way through or quick all the through. Novels for me always, ALWAYS start out slow and end fast.

AKyber36

Registered
Reaction score
The middle is where I trudge, and transitions are a pain in the ass. I also find slower sections (the down-time) of the story makes me sit back and think more. Action scenes seem to fly out from my fingers to the keyboard, since I like writing them.

Shenanigans!

Registered
Reaction score
I write a bit slower at the beginning as I'm getting back into the hang of things. However I also have to combat writing faster writing when I reach the finale. I get excited and have to avoid cutting corners in the process of finishing.

fredXgeorge

I heart sexy elves and wizards.
Registered
Reaction score
Nope, beginnings are my fastest. Probably the first 10-20k. Heading into the middle is when I start to slow down, then I usually pick up again towards the end.

jeffo20

Tyrant King
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doubtingwriter.blogspot.com
It's hard for me to say, since I don't exactly analyze the pace of my writing, but I think I'm fairly consistent, speed-wise, throughout, or I may be a bit slower at the end as I try to make sure everything comes together properly.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
No. I generally write faster at the beginning (which doesn't mean the beginning of the story, necessarily, just the beginning of the writing). I get slower when I begin to worry about making the damn thing work as a readable narrative.

caw

SianaBlackwood

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sb.siasan.com
I write at about the same rate the whole way through the draft, but sometimes it's harder going and sometimes it feels easy. Whenever I feel myself slowing down, that's my cue to step back from the story and do some brainstorming about where it should go next.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I generally start out fast, go slow during the middle, then speed up again at the end.

Elenma

Registered
Reaction score
For me, the opening scene or chapter can be very slow as I'm trying to find the right voice and battling self-doubts. Then my pace usually picks up, I slow down toward the middle and, if everything goes alright, I speed up again toward the end. But I'm not sure how exactly this translates to words written a day. It's possible it's more how slow or fast the writing feels than the actual amount of words written.

I only write novels (these days). Short stories are not my thing, so I don't know what the difference would be for me (anymore).

Stephanie Witter

Registered
Reaction score
I write a first chapter very slowly. I think my doubts are the main reason. I don't want to ruin everything with a bad first chapter but once it's written, I'm way faster because that's when I tell myself it's only a first draft and I can rewrite it later.
But I'm also slow in the beginning because I have to get used to the tone and voice of a new story.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Nope, beginnings are my fastest. Probably the first 10-20k. Heading into the middle is when I start to slow down, then I usually pick up again towards the end.

Exactly that

When I have a Shiny New Idea, my fingers are a blur on the keyboard. I slow down at about 20 - 30k ish but get quicker as I see the end looming into view

u.v.ray

greatest writer of his generation
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.uvray.moonfruit.com
I do not believe in being a lily-livered, panty-waisted pussy. Show any weakness and the story itself will take advantage of one's limp wrists.

I exhale whisky fumes angrily. And I write fast and I write hard. All the way through. Hammer the bastard into submission with scant regard for plot or reason.

That is my method.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
A good, right opening makes the entire story possible. A poor, wrong opening makes the rest of the story almost impossible. Get the opening right, and the rest of the novel almost tells itself. Get it wrong, and the rest of the novel will be poor, at best. This means I work much slower in the beginning.

Short stories are not the same. I often finish a short story, first word to final. submittable form, in a matter of hours.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
To back up Buffy, every story is different, so the way I approach each is different. I agree with JAR about the beginnings, and some flow easily and some require a more calculated approach. I do what the story requires and I don't worry about the time involvement.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
I will agonize over the first few sentences/paragraphs. Once I get them down so they set up the tone of the story (at least in my mind), it's pretty steady all the way through. A few roadbumps as I stop to figure out whether I should go right or left, but otherwise...

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
If you make up your story as you write it, does it take longer when you are writing the beginning? Do you notice a difference between novels and short stories in this aspect of writing?

Beginnings are slow for me, and this is true whether it's the beginning of a novel, a short story, or a scene. I'm feeling my way, sorting through a myriad of possibilities. I pick up speed in the middle (middles are tremendous fun. I'm like a kid playing with fire), but I usually stick about 3/4 of the way through, when it's time to start gathering up all the loose wires and connecting them for the final explosion. At that point I have to slow way down. The actual ending, once all the pieces are in place, is generally quick.

Last edited:

teeta6404

Registered
Reaction score
I have tried writing as I go, and when I do that I write much faster in the beginning.
I have done outlines and story boards, and when I do that I feel like I get the most writing done in the middle.

flapperphilosopher

Registered
Reaction score
Website
annakrentz.blogspot.ca
I write fast at the beginning because I want to get it all down in some form, so it's pegged and I won't lose it. I don't worry about it being good or deep when I start writing, I just want it down. On this novel I didn't want to stop because of some fear that if I did the flow would cease and I'd be left with three-quarters and that's it. On the successive rewrites though my pace has varied a ton based on other things, though it's probably still somewhat faster at the start of that particular rewrite so I can immerse myself in what I'm doing with it.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
People talk about writing slowly in the middle. I definitely do not want to have to slow down in that "sagging" middle, and this is the biggest reason I write slowly at the start. A slow, sagging middle means I did something seriously wrong at the beginning. A fast, easy to write middle means I did everything right with the opening.

Status
Not open for further replies.