United States of YA - UK Style!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyA

Always lurking, never posting...
Registered
Reaction score
I've just discovered the brilliant United States of YA on Epic Reads, where they have listed a YA book for every single one of the US states. It's really cool, and it got me thinking...what about a British version? One (or more) book for every county? Representing UKYA (woot woot!).

I'm a bit hazy with geography so I'm just going to start with the English ones, but please, add in Scotland and Wales and Ireland if you can think of any in particular.

And just for fun, if any of your books are set in England, let me know and I'll add 'em on in blue! For future reference ;)

I'll get us started...

BEDFORDSHIRE JUST IN CASE by Meg Rosoff [thanks to TudorRose]

BERKSHIRE

BRISTOL (the city and county of)

BUCKINGHAMSHIRE

CAMBRIDGESHIRE

CHANNEL ISLANDS

CHESHIRE RED SHIFT by Alan Garner [thanks to eyeblink]

CLEVELAND

CORNWALL THE INGO CHRONICLES by Helen Dunmore, PARADISE by Joanna Nadin

CUMBRIA

DERBYSHIRE

DEVON KISS, DATE, LOVE, HATE and SWAPPED BY A KISS by Luisa Plaja, DRAGON'S ROCK by Tim Bowler, BRIGANDS M.C. by Robert Muchamore (part of the CHERUB series), YOU, ME AND EIGHT CRAZY GOODBYES by LadyA, BULLET BOYS by Ally Kennen

DORSET

DURHAM

ESSEX PROVE YOURSELF A HERO and THE PENNINGTON TRILOGY by KM Peyton, DANCE ON MY GRAVE by Aidan Chambers [thanks to Becca C and eyeblink], UNREST by Michelle Harrison

GLOUCESTERSHIRE

GREATER LONDON iBOY by Kevin Brooks, WHAT'S UP WITH JODY BARTON by Hayley Long, the MATES, DATES series by Cathy Hopkins

GREATER MANCHESTER

HAMPSHIRE PARTINGS AND GREETINGS by eyeblink

HEREFORD AND WORCESTER

HERTFORDSHIRE

HUMBERSIDE

ISLE OF MAN

ISLES OF SCILLY

KENT

LANCASHIRE

LEICESTERSHIRE RANI & SUKH by Bali Rai

LINCOLNSHIRE

MERSEYSIDE THE H-BOMB GIRL by Stephen Baxter [thanks to eyeblink]

NORFOLK A BRAVER THING by Becca C.

NORTHAMPTONSHIRE

NORTHUMBERLAND

NOTTINGHAMSHIRE SCARLET by A.C. Gaughen [thanks to TudorRose]

OXFORDSHIRE HIS DARK MATERIALS by Phillip Pullman [thanks to bertrigby]

SHROPSHIRE

SOMERSET THE GIRL IN THE MASK by Marie-Louise Jensen, and the NUMBERS TRILOGY by Rachel Ward [thanks to Netz], TWO DOWN, ONE DROWNING by LadyA

STAFFORDSHIRE

SUFFOLK

SUNDERLAND CLASH by Colin Mulhern

SURREY HARRY POTTER by JK Rowling (That's where Harry lives in his summer hols, but apparently Hogwarts is set in Scotland) [thanks to Cyia], WHITE CROW by Marcus Sedgwick [thanks to TudorRose]

SUSSEX WENTWORTH HALL by Abby Grahame [thanks to TudorRose], SUGAR RUSH by Julie Burchill [thanks to eyeblink], and (I think) the GEORGIA NICHOLSON series by Louise Rennison

TYNE AND WEAR SKELLIG and MY NAME IS MINA by David Almond [thanks to egoodlett]

WARWICKSHIRE

WEST MIDLANDS

WILTSHIRE

YORKSHIRE (yes, I'm cheating and putting this as one county) HOLLOW PIKE by James Dawson, The House of Dead Maids by Clare B. Dunkle [thanks to egoodlett] FLIP by Martyn Bedford

Last edited:

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Isn't Harry Potter from Surrey?

And I know Carrier of the Mark is set in Ireland, but I have no idea where.

LadyA

Always lurking, never posting...
Registered
Reaction score
Isn't Harry Potter from Surrey?

And I know Carrier of the Mark is set in Ireland, but I have no idea where.

I shall add the Harry Potter one - think I'll wait to do Ireland when the England one is done, if only for the fact that there are a heck of a lot of counties to do! (plus my Geography is abysmal)

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Hogwarts is in Scotland ;) (Based on Fettes College in Edinburgh). The "express" line for the train is the West Highlands line.

eventidepress

Registered
Reaction score
The House of Dead Maids by Clare B. Dunkle is also set in Yorkshire... and I swear there was a YA ghost hunter type book set in York itself (cause I was all DAMN I WANTED TO WRITE THAT ONE when I saw it), but I can't remember the title... :|

eventidepress

Registered
Reaction score
Also, David Almond's Skellig is set in Tyne and Wear (and I think one of his other books was too... or in like the fictional version of it?)

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
One of my one WIPs (A BRAVER THING) takes place partially in Norfolk but I don't think that counts ;)

Um... *grabs her stack of UK YA she bought while over there but hasn't gotten to in the TBR pile yet*

Settings are so hard to find out if you aren't reading the book! I suppose the solution is just to read them, then! I have Entangled and Torn by Cat Clarke, Adorkable and Nobody's Girl by Sarra Manning, Breaktime and Dance on my Grave by Aidan Chambers. Anyone know the settings in those?

Ellaroni

Registered
Reaction score
Eoin Colfer's ARTEMIS FOWL is in the Dublin area. Or: his house is there. He isn't there that much with all the underworld and travelling stuff going on ;-)

And Meg Rosoff's HOW I LIVE NOW is mostly set in England, though I don't know where exactly. (Is it said at all?)

TudorRose

not napping... brainstorming!
Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, great idea! Off the top of my head:

BEDFORDSHIRE
JUST IN CASE by Meg Rosoff
NOTTINGHAMSHIRE SCARLET by A.C. Gaughen (I assume, as it's Robin Hood)
SUFFOLK WHITE CROW by Marcus Sedgwick (can't remember if it's mentioned explicitly, but the setting is inspired by Dunwich)
SUSSEX WENTWORTH HALL by Abby Grahame
WALES THE OWL SERVICE by Alan Garner

(errrm... racking my brains is highlighting that I really need to read more home-grown YA)

Last edited:

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
One of my one WIPs (A BRAVER THING) takes place partially in Norfolk but I don't think that counts ;)

Um... *grabs her stack of UK YA she bought while over there but hasn't gotten to in the TBR pile yet*

Settings are so hard to find out if you aren't reading the book! I suppose the solution is just to read them, then! I have Entangled and Torn by Cat Clarke, Adorkable and Nobody's Girl by Sarra Manning, Breaktime and Dance on my Grave by Aidan Chambers. Anyone know the settings in those?

Dance on My Grave is set in Southend, so that's Essex.

I hate to have to mention it, but Julie Burchill's <spit> Sugar Rush is set in Brighton, East Sussex.

Several of Alan Garner's novels are set in Cheshire, so let's go for Red Shift

Stephen Baxter's The H-Bomb Girl is set in Liverpool in 1962.

bertrigby

Dysfunctional dystopian
Registered
Reaction score
Can we have His Dark Materials for Oxfordshire?

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Since we're mentioning our own work, my own Partings and Greetings is set in a fictional town in Hampshire.

(I am a lifelong Hampshire resident - even went to University there, i.e. Southampton.)

ETA: See also Cheshire and Merseyside examples above.

The_Ink_Goddess

we're gonna make it out of the fire
Registered
Reaction score
Jaclyn Moriarty's A CORNER OF WHITE (to be released) is set in Cambridgeshire.

CQuinlan

Registered
Reaction score
I've just discovered the brilliant United States of YA on Epic Reads, where they have listed a YA book for every single one of the US states. It's really cool, and it got me thinking...what about a British version? One (or more) book for every county? Representing UKYA (woot woot!).

I'm a bit hazy with geography so I'm just going to start with the English ones, but please, add in Scotland and Wales and Northern Ireland if you can think of any in particular.

Fixed that for you.

I found this on goodreads (not all YA unfortunately):
http://www.goodreads.com/places/853-england?auto_login_attempted=true

And this:

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/416669-ya-set-in-england

It has loads! And I don't know most of them. GAH!

If we're saying that his Dark Materials are from Oxford than I offer up Diana Wynne Jones and the Howl's books for Wales. :)

Ellaroni

Registered
Reaction score
Ok, for Northern Ireland there's always the good old ACROSS THE BARRICADES by Joan Lingard.

and Siobhan Dowd's BOG CHILD is set in one of the border counties in NI.

nightowling

Maybe it was Utah.
Registered
Reaction score
Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma takes place in London.

Before I Die and You Against Me by Jenny Downham are both set in England to my knowledge. Does anyone know exactly where?

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Before I Die and You Against Me by Jenny Downham are both set in England to my knowledge. Does anyone know exactly where?

The film version of Before I Die (retitled Now is Good) was set and filmed in Brighton. I can't remember if the novel specifies where it's set, though certainly in England.

Julie Bertagna is a Scottish YA writer. Some of hers are set in a post-global-warming-inundated future, but the only one I've read is a contemporary, The Opposite of Chocolate. That's set in Scotland, but I don't think it specifies where - I imagined somewhere in greater Glasgow since Bertagna is a Glaswegian. The one time I saw her in person was at the Glasgow SF Worldcon in 2005.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Malorie Blackman has a lot of teen fiction set in the UK.

Ditto for Keith Gray.

THE GOLDEN COMPASS is set partially in Oxford.

Google Maps has a tool where you can have a map marked with certain notable things. I'm happy to set up a page on my blog for a UK YA map if that would be useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.