Male in Chick-Lit class....help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeragon7

Registered
Reaction score
Okay so I'm a fool who apparently ignores subtitles and accidentally enrolled in a chick-lit class which I thought was simply "topics after 1900" in American literature. Class starts in about 15 minutes and I have no idea what kind of stuff to expect. I don't think there's an option of switching to a different class this late in the game, so I'm looking to tough it out. I'm certainly open to learning about different genres than I'm used to, but this could be a stretch. Anyone have any words of wisdom for me?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Tell them you want to be the next Nicholas Sparks.

zeragon7

Registered
Reaction score
Tell them you want to be the next Nicholas Sparks.

Thanks for the laugh :D I'm in the classroom now and actually have seen two other guys so far...not sure if they're in here knowingly or if they made the same mistake as me yet. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This might be an excellent way to meet women.

julie_a_w

Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like an interesting class to me! At least you're not the only guy.

Sheluvspink

IA-Romance Editing at 84,000k
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like the beginning of a great story :) It probably won't be that bad.

zeragon7

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the positive thoughts guys! I actually think I'm going to enjoy it. I thought people would look at me weird and shy away from me, but I felt very warmly accepted. Engaging conversations.....should be an interesting perspective at the very least.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And by the end, maybe you'll have special insight into women!

Maryn, ever hopeful

WhatTheWhat

PRing my little heart out
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jaynedenker.com
When I was in college, two guys signed up for the Women in Fiction class. They thought they were going to be able to bag chicks that way. They might have, if they'd spent more time listening and less time talking over the women and being condescending. They certainly got an education that semester, but I don't think it was quite what they had been hoping for. :D

So listen, observe, absorb, learn--and then you'll have a kickass insight into women that men would kill to have. And enjoy the literature!

calieber

Couth barbarian
Registered
Reaction score
When I was in college, two guys signed up for the Women in Fiction class. They thought they were going to be able to bag chicks that way. They might have, if they'd spent more time listening and less time talking over the women and being condescending. They certainly got an education that semester, but I don't think it was quite what they had been hoping for. :D

Learning that the rule "listen when other people are talking" doesn't continue "... but women don't count as people" probably will help someone "bag chicks," though.

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
You want to enjoy this class?
Then take the time to ask and answer this single question:

Why aren't there 'Men's Lit' classes listed in the catalog?

If you can think that through and still manage to keep your temper in check...

You'll do fine.

zeragon7

Registered
Reaction score
So....woah this thread is old, but I just saw some posts that I hadn't seen previously and felt bad for never getting back to this thread. Anywho, I just wanted to let everyone know that the class actually ended up being my favorite class of the semester/one of my favorite of all time. Can't express how much gratitude I have for lucking out with such a great professor and such an enjoyable class! :)

A_McGowan

Registered
Reaction score
Aww, I can't believe I only just saw this! :) We're doing feminism in literature at the moment, and we've a really feminist teacher.
There are two blokes in the class. And they're being more 'feminist' than I am. :p Do you think that you would try writing Chicklit now, or not?

zeragon7

Registered
Reaction score
Aww, I can't believe I only just saw this! :) We're doing feminism in literature at the moment, and we've a really feminist teacher.
There are two blokes in the class. And they're being more 'feminist' than I am. :p Do you think that you would try writing Chicklit now, or not?

Ha, that's awesome! It was really crazy to see myself get so passionate about engaging with feminist scholars and to see how much my world view was rocked over the course of the semester. One of our "quizzes" was to write a short Chicklit story (it was mostly for fun because she knew there were several writers in the class) and that was an interesting experience for me. I definitely think I'll be writing a Chicklit novella or novel in the future. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.