Usefulness of an internship?

Sparklederp

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm a self-sustaining freelance writer and have enough work that I can live comfortably from it. I have steady clients that give weekly work and I'm always looking for new clients because I don't believe in becoming complacent, as even the best clients dry up at some point. I've built my freelance career through writing samples, recommendations from previous clients and most recently, an addition to my resume of a legitimate news writer position for my university's communications office. I've gotten a number of new press release clients just because the client happened to see my profile or resume and noted that I wrote press releases at this job.

I'm in school pursuing a B.S. in psychology, not a writing or English major, but I've been increasingly considering undertaking writing internships while I still have the ability to do so. I'm in my third year of school and only have a year and a half left before graduation, at which point it'll be harder to get internships (my school has great leads). Previously, I dismissed the idea of a writing internship because I was worried it would interfere with my psychology education and didn't think clients would see an internship as important compared to the quality of writing samples. However, listing experience as a news writer on my resume and seeing the response from clients has changed my mind.

As a freelance writer in content writing, nonfiction, blogging and press releases, anyone have advice or an experience to share? I'm considering a copywriting internship, but I'm also finding leads for feature writing, PR writing and more. I'm thinking copywriting is the most universally applicable to what I do, but I'm not sure.

Melina

Getting better all the time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atozwordsmith.com
I haven't ever done an internship, so my advice is going to come from the point of view of someone who wishes she could do one.

I would do it, purely for the opportunity to learn from the pros. I've always found that on-the-job learning is more interesting for me than classroom learning, probably because I find it more engaging.

If you think it might take up more of your time than it's worth, or that you won't be learning much of anything new, then maybe don't do it. That is something only you know.

kohuether

Registered
Reaction score
If you already get paid as a writer then I don't see the value in pursuing an internship, especially if it is one that has long hours. Is it part time or full time? What are your overall goals? Is the internship in line with them? I associate internships with beginners and it doesn't sound like you're a beginner.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
I have to agree with what's above. Are you planning a career in writing? An internship could lead to that day job. If you plan to use your psych degree, perhaps you should seek an internship in that field. Only you can assess your goals and passions.