hei hei from Finland!

ssjohnson

Registered
Reaction score
Not that I'm Finnish, just happens to be where I live at the moment! :)

American ex-pat, I've been living in Finland for the last year, will be here at least another year, although I'm actually hoping for two. Husband is working here temporarily, and my official job, according to him, is "to write" - gotta love a husband like that, right? He wanted me to have my WIP to an agent by the end of last year...that hasn't happened, I'm nowhere close to being finished! Stuck in rewrite hell...

One of my goals this year is to become more involved in a writing community, especially important considering I live abroad and there is no local writing group! I'm an admitted lurker, but I'm trying to break out of my shell. I'm hoping this forum will be more helpful and beneficial than another one I'm on...won't name the place...

Looking forward to getting involved, learning something new, and engaging in helpful dialogue!
-Sara

Elenma

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Sara!

I'm still new here, too, and also a natural lurker... But talking to other writers can be so helpful. :)

One thing I've learned is that in writing everything always takes longer than you think. ;) I think it's been two years since I last said to myself, "I'll be querying by the end of this year." And yet, here I am, still not quite done.

Anyway, welcome! :)

Elenma

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. Take some time to greet fellow newbies,
critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

Zach Lancer

Registered
Reaction score
Hiya, I'm a Finn in Finland. Whereabouts in SW Finland are you situated? Turku perhaps? I'm a Tampere/Helsinki man myself. The reason I joined this forum is because I figure the chances of finding a productive English writing group here were slim to none. What sort of book are you working on?

ssjohnson

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Zach - I'm in Rauma, so, yeah, very little chance of finding a local group! :) The book I'm currently working to finish is romance, I guess, although not really. The ending is not typical, at all, and there's a bit of paranormal to it. I'm thinking I'll have to query it as more "Women's Fiction."

I've also got a general fiction piece floating in my head, and I'm trying to let it sit there and not start on it yet. It's about a group of ex-pat American women in Finland. Yes, based on personal experience! ;-)

What about you, what sort of writing do you do?

Rockweaver

Registered
Reaction score
welcome aboard and i was wondering if you had tried some whale yet?

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome!

Good to see you made it in plenty of time for St. Urho's day too.

Zach Lancer

Registered
Reaction score
What about you, what sort of writing do you do?

Just short fiction of the speculative fiction variety for now. I've been a semi-professional writer in journalism for several years, but I only recently started on fiction as a hobby. I want to get a handle of the basic skill set of storytelling before I try anything as demanding as on full novel. Good luck on your WIP!

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the Water Cooler!

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
You're right about finding a good writing community, Sara. Hope AW is a great resource for you. I've got a romance novel completed also...with a little time travel, a lot of history and a devil...so, what it is, I'm not 100% certain but I'm hoping someone can figure out the proper label. :)

kenebaker

Master of Meh!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kenebaker.com
Hei Hei - just moved back from Denmark myself, so can understand the cold you must be going through with the winter over there. Welcome to the forums :)

LonnieG

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome. This is the place to learn. I am a new member, but have been in and out of AW for many years.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome. I'm glad you have a supportive husband. I wish I could find someone who would let me just write. That would be the dream.

ssjohnson

Registered
Reaction score
Rockweaver - Whale? Haven't seen it on any menus, so no. Have tried reindeer, though. Still want to try the little fried herrings, but I just want one, so I have to get someone else to buy a full plate and give me one. :)

ElaineA - sounds a lot like mine! History, and a wizard, although not so much time travel, except there are a lot of flashbacks to different periods in time, so I guess that could count.

Everyone - thanks so much for the warm welcome! :)

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Sara!

Welcome to AW!

Don't forget to read about AW basics in the Newbie Guide!

Questions about the forum software can be found in the
FAQ's menu in the handy blue bar at the 'top' of this page.

This common acronym list helps identify our mystifying abbreviations.

Before you ask that Newbie question!!
See if Katiemac has the answer here.
and check out: Sara's 10 Basic Writing Tips!

If you're looking for critiques please read the 50 Post rule.

Posting your writing to the Share Your Work (SYW) area is explained here. This link covers the most common problems posts. found in SYW *Worth reading no matter how long you have been here!*

AW is a community built on the foundations of respecting your fellow writer and helping each other, it's the basic building blocks of how and why AW works.

Welcome to our community! =)

-kelly-

Fun social links:
The Office Party
Kelly's Soft Asylum