Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: ? chat page down ??? 1-22-2013

practical experience, FTW Rockweaver's Avatar

? chat page down ??? 1-22-2013

i have been trying to connect and i keep getting the same message every time tonight

"
    The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.
    The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
    If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection.
    If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

did not know if anyone else was having this problem

s
    NaNo 2014
    The Jewel of Andera
    EDIT... i hate this part.

Happiness is like a bird. The damn thing keeps flying away. Next time I find it I will shoot it and have it stuffed.

The moving hand, having writ... AW Moderator Maryn's Avatar
    I'm "timing out" with the StarChat software not loading in time.

Usually when this sort of thing happens, somebody's on it, but it may not be a fast fix, depending on the cause. Might be a good writing night, or reading...
    Kindness. It doesn't cost a damned thing. If you're smart, you'll spread that stuff all over the place.

Brick by Brick, a ménage à trois novel
    Taming the Wilde, spotted--and striped--in the wild
    Maryn Says
    , an irregular blog
    The Occasional Tweet

Cultus Gopherus MacAllister SuperModerator Medievalist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Maryn View Post
    I'm "timing out" with the StarChat software not loading in time.

Usually when this sort of thing happens, somebody's on it, but it may not be a fast fix, depending on the cause. Might be a good writing night, or reading...
    StarChat depends on Java, not JavaScript, but the Java binary.

Recently Java has been labeled as unsafe by all manner of folk. Some security software on Windows will disable Java automatically.

Were I a regular habitué of AW Chat, I'd get an IRC Client.

AW Admin
    About.Me
    AWers On Twitter
    Lisa L. Spangenberg
    My opinions are my own. | Who else would want them?

Hey Rockweaver. I've been in the room this afternoon for a quite a while and no one mentioned connection issues. Do you use Mibbit, by chance? Lately a lot of people who do have been having issues with it.

i am on FF and just use the connection via the link here its a java script not sure if that is answering your question or not ?

i should mention that i have run all updates, and my AV software so on my side the system is fine. also all the other sites are working for me.
    NaNo 2014
    The Jewel of Andera

Happiness is like a bird. The damn thing keeps flying away. Next time I find it I will shoot it and have it stuffed.

practical experience, FTW KitCat's Avatar
    the java site is probly down today or somethin's bein funky (very technical term, I know lol), if you follow Medievalist's link for IRC programs, you can access the room by IRC itself instead of using the java connnection.
    Dreams soar on the wings of imagination. ~Unknown
    WIPs: Too many to count
    Word war with us in chat at: MSWishlist.com
    Usually on Twitter
    Lives in AW Chat

if i have any sanity when i get home in 16 hours i may give it a try
    NaNo 2014
    The Jewel of Andera

practical experience, FTW
    Quote Originally Posted by Medievalist View Post
    StarChat depends on Java, not JavaScript, but the Java binary.

Recently Java has been labeled as unsafe by all manner of folk. Some security software on Windows will disable Java automatically.

Were I a regular habitué of AW Chat, I'd get an IRC Client.
    Actually, StarChat.net is a true IRC service, with several servers. They are fully capable with all IRC Clients, such as you suggest, and as well, they implement a javachat entry. This is the javachat link we provide elsewhere in the forum.

I agree completely with Medievalist that if you have plans to visit the chat room more than once, and for sure if you plan do visit there on a regular basis, by ALL MEANS, obtain a true IRC client. There are many. A good percentage of those available are free, or require a one-time fee, which will provide you with periodic updates as software improves.

Personally, I use mIRC, for the main reason that I'm familiar with it. It isn't fancy, but it does everything I need a chat client to do. StarChat provides its own customized version of PIRCH, called StarPIRCH, for free, I believe. You can obtain that from their website: StarChat.net.
    ~ Vita Brevis, Ars Longa ~