What do I call this?

Hypatia

Registered
Reaction score
It is a post-apocalyptic homoerotic science-fiction adventure. I realize I will need to do some research on which publishers to submit to.

But how should it be described? It is romance? There is definately a romance, including happily ever after, but it is very explicit, so does that make it erotica?

Anna_Hedley

Fuelled by tea and crumpets.
Registered
Reaction score
I would say erotic romance? I could very well be wrong though.

Ann_Mayburn

Smutty McTitters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annmayburn.com
Oh, and if it's a romance, with lots of sex, it is still a romance. Shit, it may not even qualify as erotic romance as mainstream romance is getting filthier by the day. ;)

Hypatia

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, summary:

Three hundred years after a comet impacts Earth, all advanced technology is in the hands of the Engineers, who are worshipped like gods. Two unlikely friends, Gilroy, king of his own city, and Katsuo, a nomadic hunter, seek to steal the secret of immortality from the Engineers while along the way becoming lovers and having lots of passionate, explicitly described sex.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
Whether or not it is a romance or an erotic romance depends on how much time is spent on developing the romantic arc and how many sex scenes there are versus the rest of the plot.
I would suggest DreamSpinner Press because they will accept manuscripts that aren't strictly gay romance as long as they include gay romantic elements. They accept all heat levels of male/male focused stories.
Their submission guidelines indicate they might be interested in this type of story.

CaPooF

Registered
Reaction score
From what I can tell, the line between "sexy romance" and "erotic romance" basically consists of which words you use to describe female genitalia. Pussy and/or cunt tip the scales. My Etopia editor won't call it erotica if I don't use those. If it's not HEA or HFN I'd say it fits plain erotica, not erotic romance. That's just from my limited experience, so take it with a grain of salt.

CaPooF

Registered
Reaction score
Fil, I think it may depend on your publisher.

dangerousbill

Retired Illuminatus
Registered
Reaction score
It is a post-apocalyptic homoerotic science-fiction adventure. I realize I will need to do some research on which publishers to submit to.

But how should it be described? It is romance? There is definately a romance, including happily ever after, but it is very explicit, so does that make it erotica?

This happens a lot, but it also means you can assign it to any reasonable genre. Erotic SF is very popular, even if it has a strong romantic plot. Someone looking for a romance, OTOH, might be turned off by either the explicitness or the SF.