• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Dictionary of grunts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WriterDude

Writer?
Registered
Reaction score
Is there a list anywhere of the grunty uhh ugh hmm grr type sounds our characters might use? Struggling a bit here.

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Under "grunt," The Flip Dictionary (my favorite thesaurus) lists "groan" and "snort." Not sure if that's helpful to you.

If you're looking for sounds that aren't words, it's usually better to avoid those. Occasionally, a well-placed, "Ugh!" will serve you well. But most of the time, you're better off with a detailed description instead. For example:

His eyes bulged, his face turned red, and he made a sound like a woman during the transitional phase of labor. I guess he didn't like my critique of his novel.

The groan that came out of his throat sounded like a cross between a mating baboon and a dying gorilla. Time to run for my life.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I certainly hope there is no such dictionary that would encourage writers to use more and varied phonetic sounds in their writing.

Last edited:

WriterDude

Writer?
Registered
Reaction score
Under "grunt," The Flip Dictionary (my favorite thesaurus) lists "groan" and "snort." Not sure if that's helpful to you.

If you're looking for sounds that aren't words, it's usually better to avoid those. Occasionally, a well-placed, "Ugh!" will serve you well. But most of the time, you're better off with a detailed description instead. For example:

His eyes bulged, his face turned red, and he made a sound like a woman during the transitional phase of labor. I guess he didn't like my critique of his novel.

The groan that came out of his throat sounded like a cross between a mating baboon and a dying gorilla. Time to run for my life.

My characters aren't a very articulate bunch, and in my quest for realistic dialogue, a grunt or tut is about the best they can plausibly muster. Often its just a roll of eyes, a curl of lip or a two fingered hand gesture.

I worry that detailed sound descriptions might get a bit old as I try to find a unique simile for each. Giving it a go though.

Regards

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
they will sound odd if you have whole pages of "ungh?" "Gah." "OOOh, ungh..." because it's painful and doesn't tell us anything useful.

Try a new spelling each time, and it will be just as painful, and look like you have commitment issues.

Rufus Coppertop

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Is there a list anywhere of the grunty uhh ugh hmm grr type sounds our characters might use? Struggling a bit here.

The publication of "The Oxford Dictionary of Grunts and Ugly Sounds" has been aborted until further notice.

According to my sources at Oxford it would have included such priceless gems as:

guuwhaaaaaa'kh - the first retching groan uttered by someone just winded by a punch to the stomach

also hnnggggaaaawohrrooooowwwwwnggggngngnaaaakh - the sound uttered by an inconsiderate bastard who is trying to defaecate whilst constipated

Last edited:

Lycoplax

Registered
Reaction score
If I come across a difficult sound to describe, I make the sound myself. I find that hearing it out loud helps me figure out how best to write it.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Are there really enough different types of grunts for a dictionary? A grunt is pretty much a grunt, isn't it?

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
The Oxford dons obviously had second thoughts.

Enough different thoughts for an entire dictionary? A grunt is a grunt, and if you write it more than one way, readers are either going to think you're bonkers, or you'll have to explain that, hey, this is a grunt, but a different kind of grunt.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
...and orgasms should be written as, "ung, ung, ung, ung, uuuunnnng, gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh." Or something similar.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Are there really enough different types of grunts for a dictionary? A grunt is pretty much a grunt, isn't it?

Enough different thoughts for an entire dictionary? A grunt is a grunt, and if you write it more than one way, readers are either going to think you're bonkers, or you'll have to explain that, hey, this is a grunt, but a different kind of grunt.

Don't give up, Rufus. If at first you don't succeed, spoof, spoof again.

Rufus Coppertop

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Now obviously you do have a point. I mean, let's face it...a dictionary like that was never going to be anywhere near as long as the Shorter Oxford English dictionary.

They had collected, compiled or come up with enough grunts and noises for at least a few hundred pages though. That's my understanding. I seriously wish they'd go through with it.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Now obviously you do have a point. I mean, let's face it...a dictionary like that was never going to be anywhere near as long as the Shorter Oxford English dictionary.

They had collected, compiled or come up with enough grunts and noises for at least a few hundred pages though. That's my understanding. I seriously wish they'd go through with it.

Way to hang in there! With NeuroFizz's gratuitus sex sounds thrown in, this could be a SuperBowl ad by February 3.

Rufus Coppertop

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Way to hang in there! With NeuroFizz's gratuitus sex sounds thrown in, this could be a SuperBowl ad by February 3.
:evil

Maybe we should start such a dictionary. Here's another offering for starters.

Hwooor Gaw!
- the sound made by a person of uncouth disposition whilst hanging out of a passing car, ogling at a woman he deems attractive.:D

Last edited:

Kittens Starburst

Registered
Reaction score
:evil

Maybe we should start such a dictionary. Here's another offering for starters.

Hwooor Gaw!
- the sound made by a person of uncouth disposition whilst hanging out of a passing car, ogling at a woman he deems attractive.:D

You must write this dictionary! I'm pledging a fiver up front for my copy and I haven't even read the Amazon review yet. You have an incredible ear for grunts.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
Oh, boy, I'm bracing for a torching but there actually IS a website of such words. I know because I used it (judiciously) during NaNoWriMo. When you're under the 30 day deadline, you do crazy things. What can I say? :Shrug:Although, I have to admit that if I'd thought to come to AW for such assistance, I might have gotten several more creative options. Fortunately, I wasn't using such "words" for my characters' couplings because I think my fingers would have gotten tired typing all of those letters.

ANY hoo, I am new and uncertain as to the protocol of pasting website links into posts on AW and, try though I did, I couldn't find the answer in the FAQs, so WriterDude, if you want to PM me, I can give you the link. I don't think I would be doing you TOO terrible a disservice, although I definitely agree, they should be used sparingly.

Kittens Starburst

Registered
Reaction score
Uh oh! I see work looming on the horizon.:chair

You could do a whole series. Work your grunts into different languages, 'Grunts of the World'. Tourists could carry handy pocket-sized grunt guides and know how to grunt in foreign countries without causing offence to locals. They could consult them on those many, many occasions where only a grunt will do, such as falling downstairs.

Then you could branch out to pet grunts, grunts of the farmyard, grunts of the rainforests ... you could really go places with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.