This is a really fascinating thread. The whole culture of "boy stuff" and "girl stuff" has always interested me. My parents never pushed any of that on us. If my brother and I wanted to play barbies, that was cool. His favorite color was pink and he had a giant hot pink comforter on his bed. My favorite color was green. When I was five, dad knitted me a green scarf and my brother a pink one.

With my own kids, I just treat them like individual people and try to accommodate their interests and likes. My 18 month old son loves cars, balls, baby dolls, hot pink, and anything with glitter or sequins (who can blame him? That shiny stuff must look amazing to a baby!). He has a hot pink and black stroller and sometimes wears his sister's socks when he has a growth spurt and I can't afford new ones right away.

My five year old daughter adores fairies, pink, glitter, princesses, and Disney anything. Sh also loves robots, math, snakes, dragons, and those Ninjago Lego warrior guys. We recently built a robot dragon together, and it was fabulous.

One time some random person got all uppity at me for having my son in a pink stroller. My mom jumped in before I could say anything. She told them that if several generations of American men, including their ancestors, could spend the first five years of their lives wearing frilly white dresses then her grandson having a pink stroller was not in any way going to damage him.

The culture thing is interesting to me because even though I grew up in the US, I wasn't raised to fit into the stereotypical roles as a girl. My mom is Greek, and comes specifically from the Maniote clan which are basically what's left of the Spartans. Some of the values that have been held onto are the expectations that every kid be strong, resilient, polite, very direct when speaking to people, and learn useful things. There's a big emphasis on being strong and tough, but it's applied equally to all the kids. To my family, I'm their idea of a good normal girl. To people outside my family, I'm a tomboy. Personally, I just feel like a girl.

My dad is half Blackfoot and half Anglo. He grew up in an orphanage until he was a teenager though, and didn't experience much in the way of parenting when he was younger so he was happy to follow my mom's lead when it came to raising kids.