Adobe PDF to MS Word/WordPerfect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A few weeks ago, I received a manuscript in Adobe PDF. I had no trouble converting it to WordPerfect.

Yesterday, I downloaded another Adobe PDF, and when I tried to convert it to edit, it wouldn't convert to either WordPerfect or MS Word. It did instruct that if I wanted Adobe PDF converted to PDF, I must pay an annual fee. I believe it was only $20, but I'm wondering if this is a recent Adobe policy.

You can laugh, but in the interim, I uninstalled Java and Java Script (in fear, because I couldn't find how to disable it, as advised). Is that a possible reason I can no longer convert to a writing program with tools I usually use?

I'm in awe of the mighty techs here and would appreciate any guidance.

Chase

ChristinaLayton

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
My understanding is that when PDF is converted to Word, most times it is converted as an image file, therefore it's not editable. I've tried converting PDF to Word in the past. I couldn't do anything with it. I don't know if this is always the case or what kind of codes some programs use to make converted PDF's editable.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
(Elaborating just a bit for background, 'pdf' is a file format, not a program. There are a number of programs (Adobe, pdfcreator, etc.) that will create, save, print and otherwise manipulate pdfs.)

What program, please, and what version of said program, were you using to open and try to "save as" in? And are you sure this is the same program that was asking you for $20?

ETA: Oh yeah, what versions of Word and/or Wordperfect are you working with?

From there maybe we can send you to alternative software.

Chase

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Will,

Sorry for using the wrong terms. It’s probably the root of much of my technical problems, and I appreciate the education.

The download was by Adobe Reader. The $19.99/year subscription offer was from Adobe ExpertPDF to "convert existing PDF files into Microsoft Word, Excel, or RTF files for east editing with this convenient online service from Adobe."

My operating system is Windows 7 (64-bit). My primary word-processor is WordPerfect Home and Student Office X5, the latest edition purchased in 2011. My secondary word-processor is Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007.

I realize Adobe is a business, but my own tiny business is in startup mode, and with the help friends here at AW, I'm able to keep costs low until I have some operating capital.

Again, any help is gold.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
If retaining formatting isn't important, you should just be able to copy and paste text.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
A lot depends on how the pdf was originally created - some of them can be easily converted, some can be easily copy/pasted from, some are effectively image files, and some have been set so that you can't do anything at all with them (except screenshots - you can always take a screenshot, in my experience, which will get you a picture of the text but not the text itself). If the pdf was created in some limiting manner (which it sounds like might be the case for the OP), you probably need some serious technical know-how/hacker skillz to extract text that's been protected.

Chase

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If retaining formatting isn't important, you should just be able to copy and paste text.

Thanks, Kuwisdelu. Yes, the format's important, and I'm actually halfway through reformatting the piece I'm eventually going to edit. I was hoping to avoid the drudge-work in circumventing barriers against it in the future.

Yep, I'm coming off cheap and lazy. It comes with age, ha ha ha.

Deleted member 42

Ask people to send you files that are either .doc or .rtf or WordPerfect native.

Negotiate what you will return to them in advance.

Much as I love WordPerfect, MS Word is the standard.

You might be able to use free open source Libre Office to export with comments/tracking as a .doc, but I'm wary of promising it will work flawlessly.

It does use Java (not the same as JavaScript) for it's Base module. I do not have Java turned on on my Mac and Libre Office's word processor works, albeit slowly.

It does seem to support tracking and comments, importing or export to .doc but sometimes with software weird stuff happens.

Chase

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ask people to send you files that are either .doc or .rtf or WordPerfect native.

Yep. Two weeks ago, another Adobe PDF downloaded and converted without problem, but with the present experience, I've requested this latest be re-sent and all future be work be sent in WordPerfect or MS Word. To date, I have no problem converting to and from that pair.

Much as I love WordPerfect, MS Word is the standard.

Another yep for good advice. It's why I have both. I'm getting better at editing in MS Word, and as you say, it's the standard for transmission.

Status
Not open for further replies.