So we have all of these post-apocalyptic novels...

Brishen

It was meee! I was the turkey!
Registered
Reaction score
(Bears, beets,) Battlestar Galactica.

OK, not a book, but the BSG pilot/miniseries blew my mind. I remember sitting there and thinking, as I stuffed my face with popcorn, "That is exactly how I would react if a race of humanoid robots attacked the homeworld." I recommend it. For research.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
(Bears, beets,) Battlestar Galactica.

OK, not a book, but the BSG pilot/miniseries blew my mind. I remember sitting there and thinking, as I stuffed my face with popcorn, "That is exactly how I would react if a race of humanoid robots attacked the homeworld." I recommend it. For research.

I agree, which probably comes as a big shock to everyone. Bears and beets are also cool. I prophesy the day when the bears will rise up against their human oppressors, fortified by a strain of super-beets. Those of us with the foresight to stock up on preferred ursine munchies will survive, though only as pets.

Last edited:

wishflower

blanket fort afficianado
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.q-washburn.com
I second the rec for This Is Not a Test by Courtney Summers for zombie lovers, although it's more about group dynamics in an apocalypse than the zombies and world itself. Also, who wrote Children of the Dust? Goodreads has two different apocalyptic sounding books by that name.

Emermouse

Registered
Reaction score
I'd recommend Susan Beth Pfeffer's Last Survivors series if it hasn't already been recommended.

maybegenius

might be a giant
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maybegenius.blogspot.com
Recently had a discussion with my agent during which she told me the futuristic/dystopian post-apocalyptic are super oversaturated, but more real world/present day post-apocs feel fresher and may do better.

So, yes, there's a still some wiggle room for stuff that feels more accessible to present day teens. She mentioned that stuff that feels like another world or the distant future pretty much has a fork in it (as far as post-apoc and dystopia are concerned -- sci-fi is another story).

jennarielly

Registered
Reaction score
Yes this is exactly what I am talking about! Something that has a very NOW feel to it. I totally agree that dystopian/post-apocalyptic are completely done for now...there have just been too many published in the past few years.

Recently had a discussion with my agent during which she told me the futuristic/dystopian post-apocalyptic are super oversaturated, but more real world/present day post-apocs feel fresher and may do better.

So, yes, there's a still some wiggle room for stuff that feels more accessible to present day teens. She mentioned that stuff that feels like another world or the distant future pretty much has a fork in it (as far as post-apoc and dystopia are concerned -- sci-fi is another story).

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
The oversaturatedness of dystopian/futuristic/post apocalyptic stories is only relevant, if I'm personally writing it because its popular. Some of us have been writing it since 2004, if not earlier.

Personal Recommendation: The Road - Cormac McCarthy, On The Beach - Nevil Shute

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
I've kind of always wanted to write a contemp where everyone knows the world is going to end soon. Offers a lot of tension and drama.

JFitchett92

Registered
Reaction score
I'm unsure if this counts as I havn't read it yet, but The Maze Runner series has a prequel book called "The Kill Order", which I think is set around the events of the apocalypse, whereas the first book of the series is set afterwards.

Don't take my word, it's on my to-do list :/

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
Not exactly your traditional nuclear war apocalypse, but I'll be checking out Virus by Sakyo Komatsu.:3

Jaegur

mmmm words.
Registered
Reaction score
I have one in my 'FINISH ME SOON' pile, detailing not only an Apocalypse that is on the brink of happening now, but also 3 that's happened already in our history. Well, in the history that I'll be re-writing to a point. :D

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
Is anyone else familiar with Dying Earth fiction? Its similar to post apocalypse, but is often caused by a more astronomical event, such as the star eventually burning out forever, or expanding into a red giant.

An example would be: The Time Machine, Dark Is the Sun, City At The End Of Time, Sunfall.