So we have all of these post-apocalyptic novels...

jennarielly

Registered
Reaction score
what about novels that chronicle the actual apocalypse itself? Are there any apocalypse novels? Or do they all take place afterwards?

Just curious because it is something that I would be interested in reading/writing and I don't think I've ever seen any.

What do you guys think?

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
what about novels that chronicle the actual apocalypse itself? Are there any apocalypse novels? Or do they all take place afterwards?

Just curious because it is something that I would be interested in reading/writing and I don't think I've ever seen any.

What do you guys think?

Not Young Adult, but Lucifer's Hammer chronicles the actual disaster.

And The Stand covers Captain Trips right from the very beginning...

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Charlie Higson's zombie series covers what many of the characters were up to at the time society fell. And that one dreadful series...Gone, I think? It too late for me to think of more but there are plenty of others.

lastlittlebird

avem narrans
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lastlittlebird.blogspot.com
The only one that springs to mind right now is Children of the Dust (the first third of the book is about the nuclear war, the rest about the aftermath).

Also, there is The Day of the Triffids (John Wyndham) and The Tripods series (by John Christopher) if you are interested in alien apocalypses.

maybegenius

might be a giant
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maybegenius.blogspot.com
I think the ASHES trilogy by Isla J. Bick is about a apocalypse-in-the-process?

Also, ANGELFALL by Susan Ee is a (very well-done) self-pubbed YA that was picked up by Amazon Publishing that opens six weeks after angels attack Earth, so it sort of fits.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Forget apocalypse or post-apocalypse novels.

I'm interested in pre-apocalypse. When everyone knows the world is about to end.

Think Melancholia.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com

What do you guys think?

World War Z is a good 'oral history' of the zombie apocalypse. Fun stuff.

Violeta

All I Ever Wanted Was The World
Registered
Reaction score
I would consider an alien invasion to be an apocalyptic
event, so POD (pearls of death), by Stephen Wallenfels. It's YA.

bertrigby

Dysfunctional dystopian
Registered
Reaction score
The only one that springs to mind right now is Children of the Dust (the first third of the book is about the nuclear war, the rest about the aftermath).

most. terrifying. book. ever.

I seem to rec this series all the time on here, but Jean Ure's Plague series starts off with the apocalypse, then books 1 and 2 are post.

eta: pre-apocalypse - endgame by chris wooding. also scary.

frankiebrown

Simplify.
Registered
Reaction score

What do you guys think?

Working on one now.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Not Young Adult, but Lucifer's Hammer chronicles the actual disaster.

And The Stand covers Captain Trips right from the very beginning...

Lucifers Hammer made me think about a lot of things I had not considered before. Very good book...

jennarielly

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I never realized there were so many! I will definitely have to read some of these.

I'm interested in pre-apocalypse. When everyone knows the world is about to end.

This is kind of what I meant! Like a novel that goes through everyone knowing and finding out it is going to happen and then as the climax or whatever being it actually happening. Then maybe one or two other books showing what happens after.

It's like the prequel to a dystopian! lol

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
I'm actually doing one that's pre apocalyptic, apocalyptic, post apocalyptic, pre evacuation, and evacuation, and post earth evacuation, pre totalitarian wars, totalitarian wars, post totalitarian wars, planet colonization, and post planet colonization all in one novel.

Jessica_312

Registered
Reaction score

What do you guys think?
These are some YA novels that show the "apocalypse" actually happening (all of these deal with a 'zombie' type apocalypse - not actual zombies, but something that affects the way people act). I enjoyed reading all three:

Dark Inside by Jeyn Roberts
Ashes by Ilsa Bick
Monument 14 by Emmy Laybourne

MttStrn

Action is my reward..that and bacon
Registered
Reaction score

Think Melancholia.

It's not YA but The Last Policeman by Ben Winters is an awesome noir-ish mystery set in a world where an asteroid is going to hit earth in a couple of months. I loved it.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
My favorite kind of stories are when the end of the world is a metaphor.

It's not YA but The Last Policeman by Ben Winters is an awesome noir-ish mystery set in a world where an asteroid is going to hit earth in a couple of months. I loved it.

Someone else suggested this in a rep, too. I don't generally like crime fiction, but maybe I'll check it out.

Rachael_A

Registered
Reaction score

Think Melancholia.

This. I want to read stuff that exists between Our World and the crazy dystopian, post-apocalyptic world of the future. Stuff that makes the crazy seem eerily possible and way too close to home.

Also, Melancholia is in my Netflix queue and I'm thinking I need to watch it :)

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
The oldest one I can think of dates back to the 19th century: Omega, by Camille Flammarion. He was an astronomer, and wrote this novel based on the idea of a cometary collision disaster. It's actually pretty good, and worth a read, if you can find it.

A half-century ago, at the height of the Cold War, Level-7 by Mordecai Richler provided an unrelentingly bleak account of a nuclear apocalypse. Also too little read today.

And there's always Daphne DuMaurier's delightful little novella, The Birds, which was the basis for the classic Hitchcock movie. Except in DuMaurier's story, the ending isn't quite so nice.

caw

lolchemist

Shooting stars.
Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to read something like that! As long as the romance part of it isn't too hamfisted. I imagine authors just shoving ther characters together like THE WORLD IS ENDING GO FALL IN LOVE BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE! And the idea just makes me gag. Like if the possible end of the world was happening right now I'm sure my teenaged self could probably get a grip on her hormones and not worry about getting a boyfriend right now. I'd bee too worried about staying alive, my friends, family and pets. Food and shelter, finding information, finding other survivors, etc etc. And don't even get me started on love triangles LOL

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm actually doing one that's pre apocalyptic, apocalyptic, post apocalyptic, pre evacuation, and evacuation, and post earth evacuation, pre totalitarian wars, totalitarian wars, post totalitarian wars, planet colonization, and post planet colonization all in one novel.

That's impressive! Are you sure that's just one book? It sounds like it would make a great outline for a big series.

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
I'm definitely leaning toward a series, I'm just being conservative cause of my tendency to underwrite.D: