Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Harry Potter Quilt

  1. #1
    practical experience, FTW JoyMC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Seattle-ish
    Posts
    1,134

    Harry Potter Quilt

    Hi there,

    This is my first foray into this section - I mostly post in the Writing for Kids section. But I thought this would be the appropriate place to share my newly completed Harry Potter quilt. (Or rather, completed quilt top. I still have work to do. But I'm excited about it so far.)

    Here it is:



    I hope you like it! I have had so much fun making it so far!

  2. #2
    Flying blind on a rocket cycle.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,865
    Wow! That is amazing.

  3. #3
    New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin SunnyE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    24
    I love it!! You obviously put a ton of work into it, and it's just wonderful.

  4. #4
    i luv you giant bear statue AW Moderator Kitty Pryde's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lost Angeles
    Posts
    9,092
    *continues to swoon over Joy's quilt*

    So tell us more about your kidlit quilt you are planning!

  5. #5
    Sassy & Mr. Groove sassandgroove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Alabama -my home sweet home.
    Posts
    12,258
    That is really cool.
    Sassy
    my creative journey: sassandgroove.wordpress.com

    Leela, the bringer of joy, Hoshi, little sweetness and light in a dark package, and Garrus, the buddy boy
    (image on flickr.com http://www.flickr.com/photos/jennymocha/8662266835/)
    **************************

  6. #6
    Sophipygian AW Moderator Alessandra Kelley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois, USA
    Posts
    11,576
    That's a sweet quilt top. How are you planning to quilt it?

  7. #7
    practical experience, FTW JoyMC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Seattle-ish
    Posts
    1,134
    Thanks so much everyone! This was my first quilt (aside from one very small just squares quilt I made a few years ago) and it turned out to be very fun. The pattern is available online block by block here: http://sewhooked.com/harry-potter/

    And the same people are just starting a year long Lord of the Rings quilt-making project. I don't care about LOTR, though. I wish they'd do Narnia. But the LOTR one is here: http://www.fandominstitches.com/2013...t-month-1.html

    And Kitty, it's still just in the brainstorming stage, but I'm thinking about another bookshelf quilt with the same set-up as this Harry Potter one, but the titles would be real titles of kid lit books - Ramona the Pest, Charlotte's Web, Charlie & the Chocolate Factory - and then the main thing would be figuring out all the different objects to place on the shelves that would pertain to the books I put on. So far I've thought of:

    Oz - ruby slippers
    Harry Potter - probably Hedwig & the glasses
    Charlotte's Web - a web with SOME PIG written in it
    Mouse & the Motorcyle - a toy motorcycle
    Ramona - a drawing of a Q like a cat
    Despereaux - red cloth & needle
    Winnie the Pooh - pot of hunny
    Charlie - Wonka Bar w/a golden ticket
    Ballet Shoes - um, ballet shoes
    Mary Poppins - umbrella standing up next to the bookshelf, like the broom in this one.

    I would like to include Narnia, Little House, and Anne of Green Gables, but am not sure of objects for those. Also Peter Pan.

    The thing with the kidlit idea is it requires me to learn to design the blocks - I didn't have to do that for the Harry Potter quilt - it was all designed for me. I'm also considering just doing it as a painted wall mural, although I trust my sewing skills far more than my painting ones.

  8. #8
    practical experience, FTW JoyMC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Seattle-ish
    Posts
    1,134
    Quote Originally Posted by Alessandra Kelley View Post
    That's a sweet quilt top. How are you planning to quilt it?
    Thanks. The previous quilt I did was just knot-tied. So I'm a little nervous about the quilting, but am just planning to do stitch in the ditch around the shelves and books and various objects. I'm actually going to buy a walking foot this afternoon!

  9. #9
    [insert witty title here] KateH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    249
    Wow, that quilt is beautiful. As a Harry Potter fan, I love it!

  10. #10
    Sassy & Mr. Groove sassandgroove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Alabama -my home sweet home.
    Posts
    12,258
    I would like to include Narnia, Little House, and Anne of Green Gables, but am not sure of objects for those. Also Peter Pan.
    what great ideas. for Narnia, you could use Lucy's bottle or SUsan's bow. for Peter Pan you could have Tink. or a clock heh heh. I'd have to think about Anne. maybe a broach like she's accused of taking?or a slate like the one she breaks over Gilbert's head.
    Sassy
    my creative journey: sassandgroove.wordpress.com

    Leela, the bringer of joy, Hoshi, little sweetness and light in a dark package, and Garrus, the buddy boy
    (image on flickr.com http://www.flickr.com/photos/jennymocha/8662266835/)
    **************************

  11. #11
    practical experience, FTW JoyMC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Seattle-ish
    Posts
    1,134
    Quote Originally Posted by sassandgroove View Post
    I'd have to think about Anne. maybe a broach like she's accused of taking?or a slate like the one she breaks over Gilbert's head.
    Oooh, yeah, I love the idea of a couple of pieces of broken slate! Thanks!

  12. #12
    Heckuva good sport frimble3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    west coast, canada
    Posts
    3,493
    Quote Originally Posted by JoyMC View Post


    Oz - ruby slippers
    Harry Potter - probably Hedwig & the glasses
    Charlotte's Web - a web with SOME PIG written in it
    Mouse & the Motorcyle - a toy motorcycle
    Ramona - a drawing of a Q like a cat
    Despereaux - red cloth & needle
    Winnie the Pooh - pot of hunny
    Charlie - Wonka Bar w/a golden ticket
    Ballet Shoes - um, ballet shoes
    Mary Poppins - umbrella standing up next to the bookshelf, like the broom in this one.

    I would like to include Narnia, Little House, and Anne of Green Gables, but am not sure of objects for those. Also Peter Pan.

    The thing with the kidlit idea is it requires me to learn to design the blocks - I didn't have to do that for the Harry Potter quilt - it was all designed for me. I'm also considering just doing it as a painted wall mural, although I trust my sewing skills far more than my painting ones.
    Block design: these are all foundation pieced? (Based on the site you linked to.) How do you feel about straight-up applique? Draw the object on fabric, and apply that to the block. That way you wouldn't have to work out the correct sequence of little geometric pieces, and how they'd all fit together. You could do a mix of foundation piecing and applique blocks, as seems most suitable.

    Narnia: A lion
    Little House on the Prairie: a log cabin, just because
    it would be more recognizable that a sod cabin. Or,
    a couple of Sunbonnet Sue-type girls to represent the
    sisters.
    Little Women: 4 girls
    All Pony Books, and The Black Stallion: a black horse. And, a
    white one for The Little White Horse. Maybe mirrors of
    each other?
    Peter Pan: how about Tinkerbell trapped in a lantern? The ball
    of light in a lantern outline? Or Peter's green pointy cap?
    Nancy Drew: a magnifying glass?
    All of Dr. Suess: summed up by the Cat in the Hat's hat.
    Peter Rabbit: little blue jacket.
    Ruth Chew witch stories: a witch's hat.

  13. #13
    knows a hawk from a handsaw Shakesbear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Elsinore
    Posts
    3,545
    Awesome!

    Thanks for the links - I think the HP one is far superior to the LOTR one. Shame, because I would have liked to do the LOTR one.




    And my large kingdom for a little grave,
    A little little grave, an obscure grave . . .




  14. #14
    practical experience, FTW JoyMC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Seattle-ish
    Posts
    1,134
    Quote Originally Posted by frimble3 View Post
    Block design: these are all foundation pieced? (Based on the site you linked to.) How do you feel about straight-up applique?
    I've never done it. (I mean, I've appliqued little figures onto t-shirts for my kids, but not applique quilting.) I could see how it would be easier. But I actually really enjoyed the paper piecing technique.

    I want the objects to be things that would fit on a bookshelf, so a lion or a log cabin wouldn't work. In the HP quilt, it's only items that might actually be found on Harry's bookshelf (which is why the broom has to be at the side). I could do just a kid lit quilt that had things of different sizes, like log cabins and blue bonnet girls, and I might someday. But I like the idea of interspersing the objects with the books.

    But I love the idea to include Dr. Seuss' hat! I'll definitely use that, paper pieced or not! Thanks!

  15. #15
    Heckuva good sport frimble3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    west coast, canada
    Posts
    3,493
    Quote Originally Posted by JoyMC View Post
    I want the objects to be things that would fit on a bookshelf, so a lion or a log cabin wouldn't work. In the HP quilt, it's only items that might actually be found on Harry's bookshelf (which is why the broom has to be at the side). I could do just a kid lit quilt that had things of different sizes, like log cabins and blue bonnet girls, and I might someday. But I like the idea of interspersing the objects with the books.

    But I love the idea to include Dr. Seuss' hat! I'll definitely use that, paper pieced or not! Thanks!
    I'm sorry I wasn't clearer (it was so clear in my head ). I was thinking of the lion, (and the horses) as sort of china animals. If your books are more-or-less life size, the animals would be about the size of a book, as well.
    Actually, the two horses would make nice book ends.

  16. #16
    The Surreal Thing AW Moderator Maryn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Beneath Gloomy Skies
    Posts
    34,860
    Awesome quilt, Joy.

    Maryn, whose quilt remains 1/3 finished for all eternity
    Kindness. It doesn't cost a damned thing. If you're smart, you'll spread that stuff all over the place.

    Brick by Brick, a ménage à trois novel
    Taming the Wilde, spotted--and striped--in the wild
    Maryn Says
    , an irregular blog
    The Occasional Tweet

  17. #17
    practical experience, FTW JoyMC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Seattle-ish
    Posts
    1,134
    Quote Originally Posted by frimble3 View Post
    I'm sorry I wasn't clearer (it was so clear in my head ). I was thinking of the lion, (and the horses) as sort of china animals. If your books are more-or-less life size, the animals would be about the size of a book, as well.
    Actually, the two horses would make nice book ends.
    Oh that would certainly work then. I like the idea of book ends!

  18. #18
    Pinkamena Diane Pie chloecomplains's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    75
    That quilt is fantastic! Great job!

    Have you considered at all free motion quilting in the negative space as an alternative to the stitch in the ditch? It might be a little late for that now (I see this was posted a couple weeks ago), but it's a good way to avoid any concerns about messing up the quilt, and it looks impressive.

  19. #19
    Dreamer. Believer. Overthinker.
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Across the Universe
    Posts
    60
    Merlin's beard, that's brilliant!
    I followed my heart and figured that if I tried and failed, at least I'd know that I tried. - Michelle Branch

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Custom Search