Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: pitching a personality profile

pitching a personality profile

When you pitch a personality profile idea to a magazine, do you first secure the interview? Or do you sell the idea and then pursue the subject?

My idea is for a local women's magazine and I'd like to profile a local professional, who I've worked with so it's not like I'm after a celebrity but I also don't know for sure she'd be interested.
    Lia Joy Rundle
    Typing one-handed with a baby on my lap. Please forgive typos and the hurried nature of my posts!
    Self Directed Woman -- Self Directed Childbirth

Getting better all the time AW Moderator Melina's Avatar
    In a case in which the whole article depends on the person you hope to interview, you should definitely get the subject on board before pitching. If you don't, you risk getting the assignment, and then not being able to write the article if your subject won't agree to the interview. That would make you appear unprofessional to the editor.
    My Website
    'Like' me on Facebook

"If it's not one thing, it's another."--Gilda Radner as Roseanne Roseannadanna

Thank you
    Lia Joy Rundle
    Typing one-handed with a baby on my lap. Please forgive typos and the hurried nature of my posts!
    Self Directed Woman -- Self Directed Childbirth

banned as an incurable tosspot
    Unless it's a huge star, your subject will probably work with you. He/she will agree to the interview knowing a published piece is forthcoming, then with that secured, you can pitch the idea to the publication.

Getting better all the time AW Moderator Melina's Avatar
    Right--my approach is to call or email the interview subject before I begin pitching with something like, "I'm preparing a pitch to xxx magazine. If I get the assignment, would you agree to an interview?" And then I go on to tell them a little about the query process (it could take several weeks before I know anything, I may pitch more than one mag, etc). I also let them know how much of their time I'll need for the interview, and ask if they'd prefer an in-person or a face-to-face interview (depending, of course, on whether or not a face-to-face is even feasible).
    My Website
    'Like' me on Facebook

"If it's not one thing, it's another."--Gilda Radner as Roseanne Roseannadanna