Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Fantasy Romance with a Non-Alpha hero?

practical experience, FTW srgalactica's Avatar

Fantasy Romance with a Non-Alpha hero?

I'm writing a fantasy trilogy with a strong romance element. The heroine is a bad-ass assassin and the hero is a healer. I was looking for some fantasy romance books with hero's that are not alpha. I guess I wanted to see the dynamic where the woman is more take-charge then the man.

Any suggestions?

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    I'll buy it, in a second. Other than that, all I can say is: good luck. I know of all of 2 published romances that fit this bill. I wish there were more.

Quote Originally Posted by veinglory View Post
    I'll buy it, in a second. Other than that, all I can say is: good luck. I know of all of 2 published romances that fit this bill. I wish there were more.
    Thanks Veinglory I think mine will fall under fantasy, rather than fantasy/romance...but for research purposes, I thought looking at romantic fantasy might be good for me. I know that in romance, the hero tends to be very alpha. There is a very alpha male character in the book as well, but he isn't the LI.

Would you mind telling me what those two published romances are? Thanks

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    The examples I can think of from fantasy, which I read more often, would seem to be nil. The examples that came to mind from romance were 'Taming the Forest King' by Claudia Edwards (fantasy, with romance elements) and a Harlequin the title of which escapes me (not fantasy)

Maybe other people will know of more alpha fem/beta man. I hope so.

I prefer beta heroes. Some alpha elements, but I think even within the gloss of HEA, it's easier for me to believe in and root for the betas.
    Doing the backstroke in the beer moat.

Try it, you might like it. Blogging life in the big city with Mrs Fringe.

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble Mr Flibble's Avatar
    We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the mess?
    Who Fears Death?

It's not a romance as such, but there is a romance, if that makes sense, and the guy is a healer where the girl is the powerful wizard.

"Fade to Black is a dynamic and original introduction to a world and character that promise further exciting stories". British Fantasy Society

The series has grown in complexity since the beginning, reaches a profoundly moving conclusion that is both unexpected and entirely satisfying - Publisher's Weekly

Twitter

Do you know the authors name? I just looked it up and don't think it's the same book.

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble Mr Flibble's Avatar
    We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the mess?
    Nnedi Okorafor - it won the World Fantasy award a year or two ago.

"Fade to Black is a dynamic and original introduction to a world and character that promise further exciting stories". British Fantasy Society

The series has grown in complexity since the beginning, reaches a profoundly moving conclusion that is both unexpected and entirely satisfying - Publisher's Weekly

Twitter