Using wkipedia and wikiquote

Wandererer

Registered
Reaction score
Regarding your first quote of me, which was actually said by me, I already said that in cases where the audience is the general public that you could get away with it (though I'd encourage someone to cite other sources if possible).

In regards to your second quote of me, which is not actually a quote of me, I say two things:

1) See why many people are rightfully skeptical about internet quotes and citations?

2) I come from a science background, and have published peer-reviewed work. I don't really know what the standards are in fields like Internet History or Web Conventions or things like that. I just know that in my field, you will get laughed back to your job at McDonald's if you try to cite Wikipedia. Other fields may differ, and certainly the standards of my field do not necessarily apply to nonfiction works for general consumption. Nevertheless its a good idea to have more reliable sources than Wikipedia so that more skeptical readers will not stop reading as soon as they see (Wikipedia 2009). If you're writing a review of toaster ovens, by all means quote Wikipedia. :)