Celebrity Biography

abluerwhite

Shredder
Registered
Reaction score
Say you're working with a celebrity to write a memoir, how much would you ask for? Not as a ghost writer, would it be normal to ask for half of everything?

Ruth2

Tam, na Koncu Drevoreda
Registered
Reaction score
It depends on a lot of factors. Do you know the celebrity personally? If so, how well? Have you been published before? If so, what is your track record?

Lots of variables.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Also how much "everything" is there likely to be. If the celebrity plans to sell publish and wait for money to flow in, I'd be more inclined to ask for a minimum amount in advance.

JournoWriter

Just the facts, please
Registered
Reaction score
How much work will you actually be doing? Will the celeb be writing some sections? Will you be interviewing him/her and turning the result into recognizable English?

Consider that the book wouldn't exist without the celeb, so my knee-jerk response would be that the celeb would probably demand 60+%.

abluerwhite

Shredder
Registered
Reaction score
I know her personally. She approached me and asked me to do it. I'm actually a young writer so this would be my first published book. I have other published works as a journalist but that's it.

She emails me the information I need and I'm turning it into a novel. Really, all of the words are mine. Since I'm doing all of the work I felt that we should split royalties and such 50/50.

JournoWriter

Just the facts, please
Registered
Reaction score
A novel?

The time to discuss such things is before you start writing - and you need to get it in writing. However, if you have a good amount done, she may find it more convenient to agree to your terms than to start over with someone new whom she does not know.

I'm not saying a 60-40 deal would be fair, just that I could see someone demanding it.

abluerwhite

Shredder
Registered
Reaction score
Yes. I plan on meeting with her. And she isn't going to find a new writer.
I was just seeing if 50/50 is fair.