Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Gangster Squad

Soldier, Scholar, Writer, WebVoyeur

Gangster Squad

Nice fun little movie, especially if you're a fan of pulp era gangster films or film noir. Plus, there are worse ways to spend $8 bucks than cops vs robbers with Emma Stone/Ryan Gosling to spice things up.
    This is my website, Korsgaard's Commentary.
    Please, read my works, tell me what you think, and be sure to share it and come back again!

figuring it all out
    I didn't like this as much as I thought i was going to. It did get me to rewatch L.A. Confidential, so that was 1 positive.

figuring it all out
    I'm really interested in seeing this, based largely off Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone, who are both completely fantabulous. I am less excited about watching Sean Penn play Cartoon Sean Penn, but I can get past that.

figuring it all out
    Quote Originally Posted by ElJeffe View Post
    I'm really interested in seeing this, based largely off Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone, who are both completely fantabulous. I am less excited about watching Sean Penn play Cartoon Sean Penn, but I can get past that.
    I was kind of in the same boat as you when i went to watch it. I think Gosling does a good job, but unfortunately the script didn't give Emma much to do. She does look great when she's on screen though.

Quote Originally Posted by ElJeffe View Post
    I am less excited about watching Sean Penn play Cartoon Sean Penn, but I can get past that.
    When I saw the preview, I thought Sean Penn looked like a Dick Tracy bad guy.

Remember the first trailer, from last summer? It included a shootout in a movie theater, with characters blasting right through the movie screen with Thompsons. Then that asshole shot up the movie theater in Colorado, and they not only took that out of the trailer, they took it out of the movie, and shot new scenes to work around it.
    Fiction blog as Manuel Royal: Donnetown Today or Recently (or a Long Time Ago)

Fiction column under my real name: Welcome to Smyrnings ; continued as Spland of the Splost

Six-minute YouTube video produced by SandJack from my short script (NSFW): Make The Baby

Self-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lefty23 View Post
    I was kind of in the same boat as you when i went to watch it. I think Gosling does a good job, but unfortunately the script didn't give Emma much to do. She does look great when she's on screen though.
    This would typically be the kind of movie I'd make a point of going to see. Sean Penn is for me, one of the best actors in the business. But I am not at all surprised to see that you were disappointed. It does ring of something not altogether authentic. What was your disappointment really? Where do you think it missed?

figuring it all out
    Quote Originally Posted by Bebop View Post
    This would typically be the kind of movie I'd make a point of going to see. Sean Penn is for me, one of the best actors in the business. But I am not at all surprised to see that you were disappointed. It does ring of something not altogether authentic. What was your disappointment really? Where do you think it missed?
    I'm usually a big sean penn fan too with the exception of just a few films, but he actually doesn't get as much screen time as I expected.

Really, there are too many disappointments to list/discuss (especially without giving away key moments in the film), but the main problem is i don't think the director or the actors knew what kind of a film they were making (dick tracy or LA confidential). It was sort of in between and just didn't work for me.

There were a few fun moments in it, and i actually really enjoyed the first 10-15 minutes, but it went downhill from there. I will mention that the Brolin character has to be the worst leader of any police 'squad' that i've ever seen and this movie had one of the worst climaxes i've seen in a while.

Self-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lefty23 View Post
    I'm usually a big sean penn fan too with the exception of just a few films, but he actually doesn't get as much screen time as I expected.

Really, there are too many disappointments to list/discuss (especially without giving away key moments in the film), but the main problem is i don't think the director or the actors knew what kind of a film they were making (dick tracy or LA confidential). It was sort of in between and just didn't work for me.

There were a few fun moments in it, and i actually really enjoyed the first 10-15 minutes, but it went downhill from there. I will mention that the Brolin character has to be the worst leader of any police 'squad' that i've ever seen and this movie had one of the worst climaxes i've seen in a while.
    Yeah, just from the trailer, it does look a little cartoonish. Too bad, a good cast. I think Ryan Gosling is good, too. I was watching that Oprah/Armstrong thing last night, and wondering how many screenwriters were rushing to their keyboards, and who could play the lead. Ryan Gosling was one guy I saw.

The trailer was unintentionally funny, at least for my audience. I think I'll wait for Netflix.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin tpolen's Avatar
    We saw it last weekend - knew the reviews weren't very good, but we all enjoyed it. I agree Sean Penn is one of the best actors out there, but the facial prosthetics looked comic-bookish. Always Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone fans - that girl is going places.
    Books & Such
    www.teripolen.com

Is it summer yet??? BeatrixKiddo's Avatar
    I enjoyed it, but a friend told me the movie is completely inaccurate as far as actual history.
    Do not look here...there is nothing to see.

practical experience, FTW
    I enjoyed the movie, but it was just average.

practical experience, FTW StevenHarvey1990's Avatar
    Was certainly engaging but like lefty23 said, it was a bit topsy turvy in tone and style. Cheap thrill.
    "Movies don't create psycho's, movies make psycho's more creative"