Books with Naughty Main Characters

Bookmama

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for examples of books for ages 4 - 8 with naughty main characters. Not evil ones, just ones who go get into trouble, such as Curious George, or Harold and the Purple Crayon (even though he doesn't get into trouble, his parents couldn't have been too happy with him drawing on the wall).

Most of the examples I've thought of, such as those two (Curious George and Harold) are books that were written a while ago. I wonder whether editors no longer buy a book that they think might make a child more likely to misbehave.

What books can you think of for fairly young kids where the main character is mischievous?

Thanks in advance,
Anne

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Horrid Henry

The 'No, David!' series...

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
I wonder whether editors no longer buy a book that they think might make a child more likely to misbehave.

Not in my experience - editors tend to be less worried than parents about that sort of stuff. I quite often see reviews of certain picture books we and others publish that suggest they don't have a moral. (People attack The Gruffalo for promoting lying!) The American picture book market does seem more interested in moralising than the UK one.

Horrid Henry is a good example of a big recent UK series about a mischievous kid.

ArachnePhobia

Registered
Reaction score
Not recent, but it does have a pretty naughty MC and was my dad's favorite book when he was a child: Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
One of my childhood favorites was Zeee, by Elizabeth Enright. Zeee was a little bad fairy whose beautiful homes kept getting trashed by oblivious humans and she would take revenge on them in various creative ways.

Morrell

Registered
Reaction score
One of my childhood favorites was Zeee, by Elizabeth Enright. Zeee was a little bad fairy whose beautiful homes kept getting trashed by oblivious humans and she would take revenge on them in various creative ways.

Oh, yes, Zeee! I loved her, too.

And there's Rotten Ralph. Did anyone mention Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus?

My nephew, who is 6, is addicted to Ivy & Bean, and his favorite parts are when they misbehave and get in trouble. Clementine is mischievous, too. Actually, I think a naughty, misbehaving, rebellious, or nonconforming main character is practically obligatory in kid lit, from PB through MG (and YA, too, I suspect). The more outrageous, the better. Who wants to read about The Perfect Child? Readers relate to characters who make mistakes or make wrong choices.

Last edited by a moderator:

Britwriter

Registered
Reaction score
I agree. Horrid Henry is a huge hit in the UK, with a TV series, stage show etc. My kids love it.

I know some parents are anti poor Henry, saying that he promotes bad behaviour, but I think they underestimate their children. Kids know what is fiction and what is real. Where's the interest in books about perfect kids? Perfect Peter, Henry's brother, is only interesting because of Henry's antics.

A lot of lower MG fiction has 'naughtiness' as a main theme. Roscoe Riley starts every book sitting in time out, then he tells the story of how he got there.

Britwriter

Registered
Reaction score
I'm smiling to myself, hoping we're right. My current MG DORKBOY has a younger brother, Flea, who is unconventional to the extreme, doing his art project on the dog and giving the cat a mohawk........... naughty, much?

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score
I remember Enid Blyton had a few - the 'Amelia Jane' books, and 'The Naughtiest Girl in the School' books. Also there's the Dorothy Edwards 'My Naughty Little Sister' books, the Jennings books by Anthony Buckeridge, and the famous 'Just William' books. All of these are UK books and pretty darn elderly!

Bookmama

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, these are GREAT. I had forgotten about No, David! and never heard of Horrid Henry. I read the Inside this Book just now for one of the Horrid Henry titles and was hooked. What a great concept.

Can anyone else think of more?

Britwriter

Registered
Reaction score
OMG, Horrid Henry's Nits is about the funniest kids' story I've ever read. I read it aloud to my gang regularly, and can't stop laughing as I read. I love all HH stories, but that one is by far the best.

The audio CDs are fabulous too. I can listen to them over and over, unlike most audios.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Judy Moody books and the Clementine books are my favorites. The Time Warp Trio books are also lots of fun.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
Olivia, recent and naughty. She does paint on the wall as I recall.
Lilly and the Purple Plastic Purse by Kevin Henkes. Lilly gets in trouble in school.
The How Do Dinosaurs... books contain some naughtiness to start, but then show the correct behavior.
Add Horrible Harry to the chapter books. There's some naughtiness between Harry and Sid. Those boys do not like each other.

DavidBrett

Alas, poor Yorick, he fed me 'nanas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidbrettandrews.wordpress.com
Horrid Henry is a brilliant series - sometimes the books get repetitive, but that's only to be expected when you've written so many shorts in the same vein.

In my younger days I also devoured the classic JUST WILLIAM and the probably lesser known (but no less hilarious) JENNINGS books. Obviously not modern by today's standards, never underestimate the power of reading and extrapolating for a modern audience.

Best of luck,

Dave

Britwriter

Registered
Reaction score
Oh gosh, I'm going to look up Just William for my kids. I loved those books when I was a kid. Wasn't there a TV series too?

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Actually, I think a naughty, misbehaving, rebellious, or nonconforming main character is practically obligatory in kid lit, from PB through MG (and YA, too, I suspect). The more outrageous, the better. Who wants to read about The Perfect Child? Readers relate to characters who make mistakes or make wrong choices.

This, exactly. I'm having trouble thinking of any books that don't celebrate resistance or non-conformity in some way.

Some others not yet mentioned:
Junie B. Jones
Emmy and the Incredible Shrinking Rat (she isn't particularly naughty, but the whole plot is about her resisting what she's supposed to do, in order to save her family)

Bookmama

Registered
Reaction score
I'm starting to think my children's book reading is not nearly as extensive as I once thought. Just William is another popular series that I was entirely unaware of. I just downloaded an audio version from Audible.com. Thanks!

DavidBrett

Alas, poor Yorick, he fed me 'nanas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidbrettandrews.wordpress.com
There were only three books, but if you want a funny little series, try AGENT Z.

Also great for those yearning for non-conformity/resistance based MCs, another popular but old series: THE DEMON HEADMASTER. Sure, the kids are actually the good guys, but they're still rebelling...

Dave

Laura J

Odessa Quinn
Registered
Reaction score
Eloise is always getting into trouble. My friend wouldn't let her daughter watch the movies because she was afraid she would be a bad influence :Shrug: My MC has a bit of a naughty streak. Kind of like I was at that age. Nothing terrible, but not well behaved.

Last edited:

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Ramona the Pest--though I guess you were looking for more recent examples.