The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Moon Rose Publishing

practical experience, FTW kelliewallace's Avatar

Moon Rose Publishing

I came across these guys for my urban fantasy. Most of the books out have been written by the owner. Is that normal?
    http://kelliewallacebooks.com
    When our Worlds Collide - Limitless Publishing 2017

but appreciated anyway... Unimportant's Avatar
    Well, it's normal for self-publishers who try to branch out into being a small press. You'll find quite a few outfits like this. But they usually have little editing or distribution; the owner-author(s) have little or no industry experience; the books have minimal sales. So I wouldn't recommend them.

What Unimportant said.

It's a way of making their books look as though they're from a publisher instead of self-published on Amazon.
    Current WIPs
    Horror Novel: 20,000 of 90,000 words.
    Various weird short stories.

Back in the black, & staying there! Marian Perera's Avatar
    Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
    The website needs some editing.

We are a small indie publishers
    find that perfect book to curl up with and get lost between it's pages...
    We are not a vanity publishers

"The novel has a dark, eerie, fairy-tale feel." Washington Post's review of The Beast Prince

AmazonWebsite

Wilde about Oscar aliceshortcake's Avatar
    Your book should be thoroughly edited before you submit to us. We want to see polished manuscripts that have strong conflicts, colourful characters, and a well-developed plot! Our editors can then work with you to perfect your manuscript even further.
    http://www.moonrosepublishing.com/#!submissions/cc52
    We aren't told who these editors are or how much previous experience they've had. From an Amazon review of one of MRP's books:

I found this book disjointed in the story as if in need of a good editor. The grammatical errors became annoying and some parts of the story line seemed to repeat themselves.
    I can't see much evidence of perfection in any of the MRP books I looked inside - clunky writing, cliches, typos including the ever-popular poured instead of pored and eccentric punctuation abound.
    ​
    Last edited by aliceshortcake; 01-17-2013 at 04:32 PM.
    "There is only one thing worse than being obliged to sit cross-legged on the grass, and that is being obliged to sit cross-legged on the grass near an ant colony"
    Oscar Wilde (citation needed)

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    Just saying "We are not a vanity publisher" raises the question of "Why might people think you are?"

You don't see "We are not a vanity publisher" on Bantam/Doubleday/Dell's web site, do you?

Somewhat like ranting 'I am not a witch' - it's bound to raise questions.

M/M/M contemporary erotic romance novella out now from NineStar Press!

Blog: Blue Night(blog back up, mwhahaha!)
    My art and jewelry online at SaatchiArt.
    My collected Filigree's Rule posts for would-be writers (learn from my mistakes!)

The cake is a lie. But still cake. shaldna's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kelliewallace View Post
    I came across these guys for my urban fantasy. Most of the books out have been written by the owner. Is that normal?
    I agree with Unimportant - you'll see a number of these presses which were started with the sole intention of making a self published book not look self published. Sometimes they do develop into sucessful small presses and sometimes they implode horribly.

One of the main issues with these sort of operations is that you are competing for time and attention with the owner/owners spouse and no matter how great your book, you will always come second because they have a more vested interest in making sure that their own work sells.

One press that comes to mind for this kind of senario is Ridan as this is pretty much what happened with them - self publishing the spouse led to signing other authors led to spouse becoming more successful which led to signing with bigger publisher which led to owners completely losing interest in all of their other authors which led to lots of angry, frustrated and disapointed authors left in limbo when the publisher stopped responding to emails.

It's certainly a warning tale when dealing with these publisher/writer presses.
    TORCHWOOD - where the slash is canon

Yes, I read Twilight. Yes, I hate it. No, I don't have to give you a reason why.

Here be snark : www.clairewriteswords.wordpress.com

I've seen this in the art world, too - they're called 'vanity galleries', and are started up by artists to showcase their own work. Sometimes they are viable, sometimes not. When I research them, I double-check on the owner's art, their online presence, and their business background. If the owner's art isn't up to standard quality, if they are reactionary prima donnas online, and they have no applicable business background - I never even bother to query them about art.

I've also turned down vanity galleries for the same reason (though I give more diplomatic responses.) I'm not raising someone else's low profile with my work.

M/M/M contemporary erotic romance novella out now from NineStar Press!

Blog: Blue Night(blog back up, mwhahaha!)
    My art and jewelry online at SaatchiArt.
    My collected Filigree's Rule posts for would-be writers (learn from my mistakes!)

practical experience, FTW kelliewallace's Avatar
    Like Fable Press, I think they may have closed. Their social media is still active but site is down.
    http://kelliewallacebooks.com
    When our Worlds Collide - Limitless Publishing 2017

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Was in fact acquired by SideStreet Cookie Publishing effective Jan '15: http://www.sidestreetcookiepublishing.com/
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: