Why would growers associations throw a corporate party?

rosehips

Mr. Boo is watching you.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.upwork.com
Hi all,

I am writing a scene that takes place during a fancy corporate party, and I realized I don't know why these parties happen. The party is being thrown by three growers associations. Representatives of big corporations involved in agriculture and related industries are there. There are also a few individuals from more indirectly related industries, like Nestle Waters. I won't be spending a lot of time explaining what this party or the businesses involved are all about in the novel, but I do need to understand, at least for myself, why they are there.

Help?

Many thanks in advance.

Rockweaver

Registered
Reaction score
this type of event usually is to 1 celebrate some milestone and or to be used as a meet and greet with different vendors and customers.

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
Annual USDA conventions? Vendor Expos. Holiday Meet & Greet. City-based Food Show. I've been to all of these types of parties, both super fancy and some a little less fancy. PM me if you have any questions as I work in the food - research industry :)

quickWit

Totally Ninja!
Registered
Reaction score
Rosehips, don't let the posters above fool you. The single reason for fancy corporate parties is lingerie model jello wrestling.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
Associations are poor. Companies are rich.

John Deere is launching a new series of 'green' agricultural machinery. Those sport bio-fuel and electric engines that are way below California's already stringent pollution norms.

Cargill / Del Monte is opening a new processing plant in Merced.

The governor is announcing subsidies to growers who use no insecticides nor fertilizers, and follow the newly adopted 'Grown Naturally in California' logo requirements. Or some other marketing ploy.

Anything that would be a major press headline across the state, really.

-cb

rosehips

Mr. Boo is watching you.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.upwork.com
Thanks, everyone!

When and where is it set?

Sacramento, CA, current day.

Thanks again, all. You've given me many things to think about, not the least of which is that I have to change it so the associations are invited and the companies are throwing the party, instead of the other way around (thanks again, cbenoi).

If it was the logo/governor subsidy option, would the state government be footing the bill?

I want the party to be very fancy--this is meant to be a scene in which my mc, a lowly high school teacher, is truly out of her element.

Sarita, thanks, I'm going to pm you.

JournoWriter

Just the facts, please
Registered
Reaction score
John Deere is launching a new series of 'green' agricultural machinery. Those sport bio-fuel and electric engines that are way below California's already stringent pollution norms.

Cargill / Del Monte is opening a new processing plant in Merced.

The governor is announcing subsidies to growers who use no insecticides nor fertilizers, and follow the newly adopted 'Grown Naturally in California' logo requirements. Or some other marketing ploy.

Anything that would be a major press headline across the state, really.

Nope. A major press announcement would decidedly not take place at a party, despite what moviemakers and novelists think. You'd call a press conference for that, during the morning or early afternoon to give TV and print time to file by the evening.

The kind of party rosehips wants could take place at a Farm Bureau or state Agriculture Association annual conference. It could be a special reception in honor or the U.S. Secretary of Agriculture, who's speaking about a major administration initiative on biofuels or foreign trade or rural development. The companies could be named co-sponsors, contributing money to underwrite the costs of the shindig.

The state or federal governments would NOT, in this political climate, be paying for the party. And if, for some reason, you want reporters present, keep in mind many are governed by ethics policies barring them from attending events without paying their own way (you don't accept anything, especially a free event ticket, from an entity or person you cover) - and their employers are highly unlikely to shell out the big bucks for a fancy party without a guaranteed story. Reporters don't schmooze at parties just for the sake of it, and are too impoverished to pay for a ticket to such an event themselves.

Last edited:

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
> A major press announcement would decidedly not take place at a party

Not during the party. It's not uncommon for companies to attend / create events at which they announce new products and then tend party tickets around afterwards.

Examples:

Consumer Electronics Show: http://cespartylist.com/
Games Developer's Conference: http://gdcparties.com/

I know because I attended quite a few company parties in the past 2 decade.

-cb

JournoWriter

Just the facts, please
Registered
Reaction score
Only the John Deere example you gave would conceivably fall into that category, and that only barely. Fancy parties would not follow the Cargill or natural growing announcements. Those are serious issues with political and economic implications, and no public official is going to announce that and immediately head off to a fancy-dress party.

The type of event you're talking about is far more common in the consumer tech world - a new iPhone, a new programmable fridge, etc. Agriculture is a different ball game.

I know this because I was a member of the working press for 10+ years.

Last edited:

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone!
Thanks again, all. You've given me many things to think about, not the least of which is that I have to change it so the associations are invited and the companies are throwing the party, instead of the other way around (thanks again, cbenoi).

If it was the logo/governor subsidy option, would the state government be footing the bill?

I want the party to be very fancy--this is meant to be a scene in which my mc, a lowly high school teacher, is truly out of her element.

You were actually right the first time from my own experience - the associations put together the major events.

Funding comes from a mix of corporate sponsorship, charging the various exhibitors and even charging an entrance fee for people who come. Browse the following websites since they are pretty detailed with everything.

Here's a Canadian example you might find useful as an example that is open to the public, and is also in the realm of agriculture: http://www.canadablooms.com

And one that is not open to the public usually (except maybe investors) for a different industry that could still give you ideas about how it all works: http://www.pdac.ca/pdac/conv/index.aspx

And wind energy: http://www.windpowerexpo.org/

Most of these will have some sort of soiree, at least on the first night...

If you need more info, PM me; I used to work in a few related areas of events marketing...

Rockweaver

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone!

Sacramento, CA, current day.

the state would prob provide the location and work with vendors to try and cover the rest. local associations work closely with business to help with social events. companies see them as advertising opps so they will send a couple of people and as long as the thing mentions them toss a few bucks into the funding.

also you can look up local web sites for grower associations etc.

this is one from a university
http://www.uvm.edu/extension/agriculture/?Page=grainconference.html

i would look around the net and find more examples and use the parts you like.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
Only the John Deere example you gave would conceivably fall into that category, and that only barely.
{...}
The type of event you're talking about is far more common in the consumer tech world - a new iPhone, a new programmable fridge, etc. Agriculture is a different ball game.
The more lavish consumer tech events seem to be more in line with what the OP has in mind and yet the agriculture world don't have that. I thought about John Deere, but even that you mention to be borderline. Anything considered high-tech in the food world? Maybe something down the food chain like posh restaurants & chefs or kitchen gear? I'm running out of ideas on this one.

-cb