The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Startup small presses

Just the facts, please

Startup small presses

I've been reading quite a few Beware threads about small publishers. Many reveal significant problems and copious red flags with the owners' practices and business models.

What I'm curious about is: What does it take to start a good small press? One that will last, survive, thrive and do a good job for readers while treating authors well. Experience, connections, capital, for sure, but how much/many of each? How much money per book should a small press be investing, for what sort of return? How does a press find a distributor and get books into stores? etc. etc. etc. ...

I know each press is different, so what I'm really hoping for are averages / anecdotal observations / lessons drawn from experience on what factors make a startup small press likelier to succeed than the average fly-by-night or vanity operation.

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    I joined one press within the first year because:
    * The owner had recent successful experience with another press
    * The owner left that press for a good reason
    * They had start up capital
    * They had great authors signed up
    * They had experienced, kick ass editors signed up
    * Their business plan made sense
    * They had distribution
    Emily Veinglory

practical experience, FTW benluby's Avatar
    One knack I would consider crucial, in addition to all veinglory's comments? You need to have the people with a nose for stories that will be popular/potential hits.

And, should the owner get sick, drop dead, skip town or find another interest, who's going to be running the place? It's not enough to hire workers, there should be a competent back-up for management.
    This seems to be a problem for a lot of one-man shows. Or, one-man and a couple of editors.

For me, distribution would be a very big factor. There are too many "Print books --> ?? --> Profit!" operations out there.
    Not doing anything with my life is surprisingly time consuming.