Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Funny book trailer

Funny book trailer

Funniest book trailer I've ever seen, by an advertising guy---no surprise there.

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter AW Moderator Ari Meermans's Avatar
    Now, that was hilarious. I empathized with that poor group leader; frustration, it burns. ROFL

Moving this over to the Roundtable, though, as it isn't your book, Barbara. Hold on for just a sec, the ride shouldn't be too shaky.

pretending to be awake onesecondglance's Avatar
    Brilliant. I've never seen a book trailer before that I didn't think was a total waste of time. That actually shows you that the format can work.
    Λrchangel: near-future SF noir
    Bleed Through: multiverse thriller with a side of vampires. | 33,500 / 100,000 (progress! sweet, sweet progress!)

I write music. | I gave in and joined twitter. | And I have a blog too.

I'm gonna give all my secrets away Spell-it-out's Avatar
    Haha that is excellent! Thanks for sharing.

Attends The School of AW Alitriona's Avatar
    It didn't appeal to me at all. Perhaps I'm not the target audience.

Quote Originally Posted by Ari Meermans View Post
    Now, that was hilarious. I empathized with that poor group leader; frustration, it burns. ROFL

Moving this over to the Roundtable, though, as it isn't your book, Barbara. Hold on for just a sec, the ride shouldn't be too shaky.
    Thanks. One of these days I'll figure out what goes where...

Quote Originally Posted by Alitriona View Post
    It didn't appeal to me at all. Perhaps I'm not the target audience.
    I have heard many PR and marketing people say that if you didn't like an ad, it probably wasn't aimed at you.
    Bleed Through: multiverse thriller with a side of vampires. | 33,500 / 100,000 (progress! sweet, sweet progress!)

practical experience, FTW
    I'm with Alitriona. I gave up halfway through, although I thought the plate being dragged across the table was modestly amusing.

It got much funnier after that.

"What do you think of the title?"
    "I don't like it because it's written in red and my mother-in-law likes red and she's a horrible person."
    "O-kay... Derek, what do you think?"
    "I agree with Katrina."
    "About what? The colour or her mother-in-law?"
    "All of it."

practical experience, FTW
    Maybe it made too many assumptions about my prior knowledge of such things. I had no expectations for them to subvert .

living in the past ishtar'sgate's Avatar
    Thought it was great. Not your usual book trailer. I'll be far more likely to remember the title and check out the book now that I've had a laugh at the clever trailer. Thanks for sharing.

Looks like it could be a funny debut too as the main character has to write a Super Bowl commercial for his diaper account.

I see an article (or rather, an unfunny first paragraph), but no trailer. Does it require registration with the New Yorker?

Wait -- is it the same as this video? Not very funny. Knowing the author of the novel wrote this video makes it less likely I'd read it.

And, one of the review quotes at the end contains the word "stunning". Prejudices me against that review, and by extension, against the novel.
    Fiction blog as Manuel Royal: Donnetown Today or Recently (or a Long Time Ago)

Fiction column under my real name: Welcome to Smyrnings ; continued as Spland of the Splost

Six-minute YouTube video produced by SandJack from my short script (NSFW): Make The Baby

practical experience, FTW benluby's Avatar
    Too stereotypical. Bored me, and just over halfway through I clicked out. I'm old, and don't have time to waste on unfunny things.

Retired Illuminatus dangerousbill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbara R. View Post
    Funniest book trailer I've ever seen, by an advertising guy---no surprise there.
    Funny is great, but selling books is more than that. This trailer covers the characters and the summary of the story, and repeats the title over and over until it's impossible to forget. So it accomplishes the unfunny commercial function, too.
    Dangerous Bill

'Lessons for a Dominant Woman' - A woman's journey, breaking out of the abused wife trap to enslaving her college professor. Romantic realistic femdom. A prequel to 'Lessons at the Edge' CAUTION: Explicit, 18+
    http://www.amazon.com/Lessons-Domina...=william+gaius

"We're all mad here" - Cheshire Cat Silver-Midnight's Avatar
    That was funny!!

The T is for Trying to Stop Lurking M.T.Logue's Avatar
    It made me chuckle a bit. Considering most book trailers make me really not want to buy the book, that's saying something. Will I go out an buy the book? Probably not. I might look into it if I finish my current reading list and still remember the title and author, though.

"Bear trumps Elephants!" colealpaugh's Avatar
    Nah. It was time to pull the plug once Carrell left.
    Facebook

Website

The Spy's Little Zonbi
    Coffeetown Press/2013

The Turtle-Girl from East Pukapuka
    Coffeetown Press/2012

The Bear in a Muddy Tutu
    Camel Press/2011

Like Burt Reynolds in Gator JayMan's Avatar
    Loved this

Current WIPs
    Horror Novel: 20,000 of 90,000 words.
    Various weird short stories.

Tonight on Mythbusters BenPanced's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by benluby View Post
    Too stereotypical. Bored me, and just over halfway through I clicked out. I'm old, and don't have time to waste on unfunny things.
    You lasted longer than I. I clicked out on "where's the bathroom?" I could see what they were doing because I've seen it done before: let's get a focus group together but focus groups never give a cohesive, coherent opinion but we need to get get the opinion of a focus group because we need to get the demographic's opinion and the only way we can do that is get a focus group but focus groups never give a cohesive, coherent opinion, etc., REPEAT UNTIL DEAD.

That, and I'm a notoriously hard sell on book trailers. Some might say impossible. I saw how long it was and my first thought was ALMOST FOUR MINUTES FOR A $#%@ING COMMERCIAL?! Then I reminded myself I've sat through Gone with the Wind in a theater twice, so what's almost four minutes watching a video online? A lot when I'm not being entertained.
    I still poop rainbows.

Kitchen Witch is now available!

I won't steal any of your ideas. I have enough of my own.

She who must be obeyed Amanda R.'s Avatar
    It started out funny, cute premise, but just dragged on way too long. The ending with the author going "this is going good" was also funny, it just took too long to get there. Gotta get to the punchline quicker.
    Amanda R.

"Literature is the most noble of professions. In fact, it is about the only one fit for man." ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Read about my adventures in China.