Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: There is no joy in CNET-ville

Legal Authority/Public Intellectual robeiae's Avatar
    Down by the river...

There is no joy in CNET-ville

From the first:

CNET voted Dish Network Corp.'s "Hopper with Sling" the best home theater and audio product. Because CBS is in a legal fight with Dish over the Hopper's ad-skipping capabilities, CBS vetoed the selection, saying the product couldn't be considered "Best of CES." Instead, CNET's official selection was a sound bar from TV maker Vizio.
    From the second:
    CBS said Monday that its intervention was "an isolated and unique incident in which a product that was challenged as illegal was removed from consideration for an award." The broadcaster added that "in terms of covering actual news, CNET maintains 100% editorial independence, and always will."
    As our old buddy Deek correctly pointed out on FB, that final statement means that stories about stuff at electronic shows is not "actual news," according to CBS.

What a bunch of clowns.
    I put for the general inclination of all mankind, a perpetual and restless desire of power after power, that ceaseth only in death. --Thomas Hobbes

Quote Originally Posted by CassandraW
    You're a smug, sneering, ranting asshole, and yet even when I despise your position, I like you.
    Learning to run, T'ai Chi style--blogging about running and Eastern philosophy
    Ponds of Happenstance--blogging about politics, economics, and history
    Sailor on the Ponds--tweeting about everything

Nader man-splains, Yellen idiot-responds

A Charlie Brown Christmas: 50 years old, still relevant

Agorism FTW!
    Cool, I've been looking for a new sound bar, I'll have to check out that best-of-show winner from Vizio. What time is The Voice on?
    I wrote a blog.
    Between a good and a bad economist this constitutes the whole difference - the one takes account of the visible effect;
    the other takes account both of the effects which are seen, and also of those which it is necessary to foresee. ~Frederic Bastiat
    Economics puts parameters on people’s utopias. ~Peter Boettke
    The 'social contract' is to the politician what 'original sin' is to the priest. ~Don
    The vision of the helpful and protective state is the most pervasive and counter-productive ideology in the world today. ~Don

I tend to blame the Feds for Don, actually.
    If they'd get it right, we wouldn't need Don pointing out that they'd gotten it wrong.
    ~ Medievalist

The colors! THE COLORS! leahzero's Avatar
    Ah, the joys of owning a media PC and opting out of ad-saturated TV programming.
    CAMGIRL - 2015
    Untitled Book #4 - 2016-ish

My self-publishing saga, in all its gory detail, is here.

Moderator In Name Only AW Moderator Roger J Carlson's Avatar
    West Michigan
    I'll be waiting for the investigative report from 60 Minutes.
    --Roger J. Carlson

If you've received spam from me, my apologies. My gmail contact list was stolen and they spoof me every couple of months. Nothing I can do, but if you get spam from roger.j.carlsonATgmailDOTCOM, just put the address in your block list. I still receive email there, but I don't send from that address anymore.

Time to carve the turkey! Shadow_Ferret's Avatar
    In a world of my own making
    Sound bars have come a long way, baby.

I am seriously disappointed that CBS would censor news, but not surprised. Every news organization has some "sacred cows" they won't touch, mostly because money is involved. This is just another example that the Fourth Estate isn't as independent and unbiased as they want us to believe they are.
    Twitter | Pinterest | WordPress | Tumblr

“I love words but I don’t like strange ones. You don’t understand them and they don’t understand you. Old words is like old friends, you know ‘em the minute you see ‘em.” -- Will Rogers

"Blame it on my ADD, baby." -- AWOLNATION