Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glad to be here. Not sure what's next, but it's about to get wordy...

Glad to be here. Not sure what's next, but it's about to get wordy...

Hello.

This is a cool site. It's rad to have the chance to meet some likeminded individuals and exchange ideas. The wisdom existing on these boards is apparent and I am eager to dig in.

A place to ask questions, seek advice, and cut through the nonsense is always welcomed in my world. I largely do not know how my involvement with AW will manifest itself, but my active participation will write that book. Give and take. Call and response.

I appreciate the concept of truth very much. So much so that it has become my sole constant offering. My beliefs in uncensored, yet kind, communication and sharing has evolved into an expectation of the same from others. The wonderful influence words can posses, when the situationally 'proper' choices to represent exactness of emotion are found, is quite calming. Inside that calm we find truth through deliberate word choice. Nice.

Searching through seas of synonyms soothes me. Calms me down. Allows for options, allows me to make an actual meaningful decision, allows for individual choice, and keeps me fresh. The choice and placement of a single word could affect an entire paragraph. Powerful stuff we get to play with as writers. Lol.

Within honesty exists "real." Sometimes "real" can be too much as it is bare, cuts deeply, and is not necessarily considered beautiful in the traditional sense. I consider my writing to be honest, which must then contain the rawness of the "real" that comes along. My writing becomes a true reflection of my essence, allowing readers to peer deep inside my existence. I have nothing to hide and that is partially why I write. To live in a glass house and be completely exposed frees my mind while allowing a pure signal flow to exist with the reader.

Connection.

Truth.

Words.

I'll be around. Posting. Reading. Commenting. Learning. Sharing. Thanks for getting this far!

Ryan
    Last edited by RyGuySpeaksTheTruth; 01-16-2013 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Quick fix in title.
    Beauty is truth. See beauty, learn truth.

The Art of Finding Your Place. My spot for trying to explain some stuff about life.

Peace.

Welcome Sir. A teacher once told me that I was overly enthralled with the exuberance of my own verbosity. Nice to meet a kindred spirit. *grin*
    "We do not talk - we bludgeon one another with facts and theories gleaned from cursory readings of newspapers, magazines and digests."

Henry Miller

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Welcome. I'm a newbie too, but one who happens to also enjoy "verbosity" and/or "wordiness."

Look around. Explore the site. There seems to be some very fine writing folks here.

Sunstreaker AW Moderator regdog's Avatar

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
    at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
    Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
    50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. Take some time to greet fellow newbies,
    critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
    My Blog-Updated on 10/9/14 An Open Letter To Hasbro

Help find Tracey Cooeedownunder's sister is missing

My awesome avatar is a Comic Con commission from the amazingly talented Josh Perez AKA dyemooch

Sophipygian AW Moderator Alessandra Kelley's Avatar
    Welcome and good luck.

nurturing tomorrows criminals today PorterStarrByrd's Avatar
    Welcome aboard
    http://porterstarrbyrd.blogspot.com/

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo
    The reason I spend so much time out of the box is that somebody crapped in it - Porter Starr Byrd
    Yield to temptation, it may never come again - unknown

practical experience, FTW Write_Askew's Avatar
    Hi and welcome! Its always nice to see someone with so much energy and excitement. I'm sure you'll find there are tons of people here who share your passion and love of writing and communicating.

practical experience, FTW wazzujim's Avatar
    Welcome to the Cooler Ryan.

Hello, and welcome!

Cast Your Eyes On The Ocean,
    Cast Your Soul To The Sea.
    When The Dark Night Seems Endless,
    Please Remember Me.

My Blog. You know you want to.
    My deviantART page. I draw and photograph, too.

Welcome to the Cooler, Ryan.

Welcome to AbsoluteWrite.
    Website/Blog- Twitter

WIP: Hella Fun WIP
    With Betas:
    Mecha and Monsters WIP, Draft 4 [FINALLY! BE FREE, NOVEL, BE FREEEEEE]
    Published: MG Fantasy "Dragon Tamers" & "Dragon Tamers 2: Digital Tempest"

practical experience, FTW Rockweaver's Avatar
    welcome.
    the give of using the entire English language is a truly lost art. i have on occasion used words that have fallen out of favor in the last century or so. if you wish to baffle the people around you find excuse to use words like churlish, and exasperating in your everyday chats.
    NaNo 2014
    The Jewel of Andera
    EDIT... i hate this part.

Happiness is like a bird. The damn thing keeps flying away. Next time I find it I will shoot it and have it stuffed.

Whose amusement exceeds all known standards of propriety AW Paladin
    I got to "eternal ether" and bailed.

Between dyslexia, being an old-school geek who spent a fair amount of time at Xerox . . .

I do not think that word means what he thinks.
    Please take a look at The Newbie Guide to Absolute Write.

Look! FAQs !!! OMG Eleventy

This is Medievalist in an Official Capacity. She is not Herself.

Let's see what's on special today.. Bufty's Avatar
    Welcome.

Not sure what's next but it's about to get wordy.
    Correct.
    Everything yields to treatment.

If I had a brain I'd still be dumb thehairymob's Avatar

closed for repairs AW Moderator Kylabelle's Avatar
    Welcome! I always appreciate enthusiasm. See you around the Cosmos.

practical experience, FTW Accebera's Avatar
    Welcome! =]
    WIP: Treasure Story - fantasy/adventure - drafting

Stuff your eyes with wonder. -Ray Bradbury

practical experience, FTW rwm4768's Avatar
    Welcome from another Ryan.

There is no bliss in ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by AW Admin View Post
    I got to "eternal ether" and bailed.

Between dyslexia, being an old-school geek who spent a fair amount of time at Xerox . . .

I do not think that word means what he thinks.
    Wow. There is SO much wrong with this reply -please bear with me as you read on.

Damn. Not quite the welcome I would have expected from an admin. Hmmmm.

The first seven words AW Admin typed proved said admin's possession of an ignorance that a thousand page novel would struggle to convey. Oh, behold the powers of word choice and placement.

On its own, AWA's belief that I misused "ether" in the quoted context is ridiculous at best. If AWA had argued that ether and eternal are too close in definition, or the wrong parts of speech to be used as modifiers of the other, I may have listened. If AWA had pointed to a specific rule of grammar somehow disallowing the simultaneous existence of those two words within the same sentence, hey, who can argue with the rules? Unfortunately, AWA instead lashed out blindly at a newbie, potentially causing me to bail from the site and who knows what else.

My friend, I hope you realize that the entire premise of your comment was based on a lie. You based your comment on your false belief I misused "ether," and well bud, that just isn't the case. "Eternal ether" actually seems to be as fair a combination of words today as when initially shared. We could even flip them and sound all medieval - the "ether eternal" reminds of a foggy English battleground just after the fact. Fun to play around with order and meaning, but the fun was only temporary. Damn.

It is so frustrating repeating the same thing to people over and over, but once again...

Slow the fuck down.

Your immediate decision to bail on my thread for the reason stated is weak. Jumping on the forum and immediately calling me out on my perceived mistakes is still baffling. Something in your mind allowed an immediate change in your perception of me, due to your reaction of my supposed misuse of a word. This shift in perception allowed you to then completely 'pre-dismiss' everything I may say in the future as well, killing any chance of developing a true connection.

And my goodness, you posted your reply on the wrong thread even. The thoughts you quoted my words from were in a thread on the Water Cooler page, yet you posted your reply on the newbie page. Why did you do this? Either from ignorance or for malice I suppose, but darn it all, it just might be time to dust off the admin study guide.

So, public attack warrants public discussion in my eyes and I pose an open question to all members: How real would you like real to get? Can we have tact within honesty? What about discussing the 'actual' reasons that cause this admin, or anyone, to lash out in such confusing manners? Good stuff to pick your teeth to.

An admin's responsibilities ultimately extend beyond moderating and approving comments and such. Any viewable reply with the AW Admin name is essentially speaking for the entire staff/site. A bigger responsibility than it may seem, perhaps?

I only want to become a better writer, but a guy's gotta be cautious in the meantime. Especially when there is no one watching the watchers.

Word.

The Art of Finding Your Place. My spot for trying to explain some stuff about life.

Peace.

The moving hand, having writ... AW Moderator Maryn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RyGuySpeaksTheTruth View Post
    Wow. There is SO much wrong with this reply -please bear with me as you read on.

Damn. Not quite the welcome I would have expected from an admin. Hmmmm.

The first seven words AW Admin typed proved said admin's possession of an ignorance that a thousand page novel would struggle to convey. Oh, behold the powers of word choice and placement.

On its own, AWA's belief that I misused "ether" in the quoted context is ridiculous at best. If AWA had argued that ether and eternal are too close in definition, or the wrong parts of speech to be used as modifiers of the other, I may have listened. If AWA had pointed to a specific rule of grammar somehow disallowing the simultaneous existence of those two words within the same sentence, hey, who can argue with the rules? Unfortunately, AWA instead lashed out blindly at a newbie, potentially causing me to bail from the site and who knows what else.

My friend, I hope you realize that the entire premise of your comment was based on a lie. You based your comment on your false belief I misused "ether," and well bud, that just isn't the case. "Eternal ether" actually seems to be as fair a combination of words today as when initially shared. We could even flip them and sound all medieval - the "ether eternal" reminds of a foggy English battleground just after the fact. Fun to play around with order and meaning, but the fun was only temporary. Damn.

It is so frustrating repeating the same thing to people over and over, but once again...

Slow the fuck down.

Your immediate decision to bail on my thread for the reason stated is weak. Jumping on the forum and immediately calling me out on my perceived mistakes is still baffling. Something in your mind allowed an immediate change in your perception of me, due to your reaction of my supposed misuse of a word. This shift in perception allowed you to then completely 'pre-dismiss' everything I may say in the future as well, killing any chance of developing a true connection.

And my goodness, you posted your reply on the wrong thread even. The thoughts you quoted my words from were in a thread on the Water Cooler page, yet you posted your reply on the newbie page. Why did you do this? Either from ignorance or for malice I suppose, but darn it all, it just might be time to dust off the admin study guide.

So, public attack warrants public discussion in my eyes and I pose an open question to all members: How real would you like real to get? Can we have tact within honesty? What about discussing the 'actual' reasons that cause this admin, or anyone, to lash out in such confusing manners? Good stuff to pick your teeth to.

An admin's responsibilities ultimately extend beyond moderating and approving comments and such. Any viewable reply with the AW Admin name is essentially speaking for the entire staff/site. A bigger responsibility than it may seem, perhaps?

I only want to become a better writer, but a guy's gotta be cautious in the meantime. Especially when there is no one watching the watchers.

Word.
    Oh, my. Famous last words... Anybody bring popcorn?

Maryn, watching with interest
    Last edited by Maryn; 01-16-2013 at 10:57 PM.
    Kindness. It doesn't cost a damned thing. If you're smart, you'll spread that stuff all over the place.

Brick by Brick, a ménage à trois novel
    Taming the Wilde, spotted--and striped--in the wild
    Maryn Says
    , an irregular blog
    The Occasional Tweet

Thanks much. This oughta be interesting. So many words, so little time. See you around.

Peace.

Oh. My. Lord...

*Takes seat* I got extra, Maryn. sharezis?

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    Generally you don't encourage relaxed and friendly engagement with a long angry rant.

Gone Fishing SuperModerator Haggis's Avatar
    Oh, my.

Are you, like, serious?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lavern08 View Post
    I don't care what anyone says - Haggis is HAWT!
    Stewie the Chihuey
    featuring the lovely and talented

thread stalker SuperModerator cray's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by veinglory View Post
    Generally you don't encourage relaxed and friendly engagement with a long angry rant.
    exactly.

dude, you have 5 posts all of which come off as preachy 'i know more than you' BS.

you might take some time to get to know your audience first

.. especially the ones who you tell to 'slow the fuck down.'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast