• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

POV question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
A book I read recently that did this was Elizabeth Moon's Speed of Dark. The scenes in the main protagonist's pov was in first person present tense, while the scenes from the pov of other characters were in third limited past tense.

The protagonist had a very distinct and unusual voice, however, and most of the novel was seen through the eyes of this character. She did is pretty seamlessly, though. I didn't even notice the first time she made the switch.

Millenniumfalsehood

Registered
Reaction score
The big question is why, and one good reason I can think of is mystery. If you're trying to keep the main antagonist a secret, it can be a good mechanic to make all of the writing surrounding him and his actions keep his identity a secret while also providing an interesting insight into his character. It also works to distance him from the protagonists by making the style of his sections different from the protagonists. I don't recall exactly where I saw this, but it was probably a mystery novel (obviously).

Status
Not open for further replies.