Xerox DocuPrint P8ex question

Stlight

ideas are floating where they will
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
where you can put sugar sprinkles on lots of thing
I know my printer is old, but I'm fond of it. I even have some more ink cartages for it. Xerox has stopped making the ink and isn't interested in support for the printer any more.

The last time I used it, as I was turning it off there was a flash of light, but no heat or flames. It seemed okay, but I didn't try it again until tonight.

The lights still come on, it whirs, the green ready light flashes, then it stops whirring and all three indicator lights (error, paper, ready) flash on and off. According to the book (which isn't really helpful) this means possible printer failure.

The book doesn't offer any suggestions for fixing it. I've had it since the mid-90s.

My question is, can it be fixed? Should I take it to a computer repair shop? Or should I get another printer?

If another printer, any suggestions for a laser, black and white will do, not interested in color printing.

Thank you for your help.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would just get another printer.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The thing is close to being twenty years old. No, I don't think it would be wise to try to repair it. Time to move on.

If this is like most electronics these day, your new one will be better, but it won't last as long.

Stlight

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I looked at some of the Samsung and it didn't appear that you had to buy the drum separately from the ink cartage. I liked the look of the ML-3312ND ink cartage price wise, cause you can really lose money with the less expensive printer and the more expensive cartage.

Does the wireless printer work with a computer on dial up? We aren't WIFI here and I don't want to buy something that won't work.

Paperback Writer

Learning the craft
Registered
Reaction score
It's like I went back in a time machine to the 60'
I didn't mean they were separate but I've been refilling the same cartridge since I got the printer. Sometimes it makes a little bit noise letting me know that it is getting old.

I assume you have a wireless router providing a wireless network. In that case yes. But maybe you're just running from your computer's modem? In that case no

Stlight

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
the computer is dial up not wireless or wifi. We do actually have a router, which we bought when it looked as though we were going to get WIFI out here, but that turned into another story. So, we can use it and we're good?

Yes, now I understand. My first computer came with an ink jet printer, pretty colors but too expensive. I was refilling the cartages with the ink and still too expensive. The laser printer was wonderful. I was getting 5K pages to the laser toner cartage on current printer, and I think I can do that with the Samsung ML - 3312ND.

Interesting point, on the Staples site, one reviewer said the ML-3312ND did not come with instructions in English and another said it wouldn't work. I'm thinking problem was with the set up disk and perhaps the card. So if I got one that didn't work, another one might well work. Yes, or did I miss the logic completely?

I don't mind missing logic, it's happened before and if I keep asking questions it usually works out.

Last edited:

Stlight

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Would I have to pay for being on the WIFI network? Which does exist out here. now... different folks.

If I do need to pay for it and I expect I do, that will increase the cost of the printer and must be considered.

No, I don't have a firm grasp of the WIFI stuff, but I do know I don't want to pay for WIFI and the regular telephone connection at the same time.

Paperback Writer

Learning the craft
Registered
Reaction score
If you just need a private network to print then no, you don't have to pay. If you want access to the internet through a provider then yes.

I would take the Staples.com reviews with a grain of salt. Often people go online to complain. Having said that, are you referring to networking the printer?

Also keep in mind you can download manuals and drivers from the www.samsung.com website. Just click on support and enter the model number http://www.samsung.com/us/support/

Stlight

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have no real idea of what networking the printer means, so maybe not. However, I was thinking my sister could send stuff from her computer to the printer directly. Not that putting it on a zip and carrying into my study was that hard to do.

Okay, let me check this, remember I am not language term up to date here. I wouldn't have to pay for printing out my stuff. But if I copied anything from the Net, I'd have to pay for the wifi? I mean when I have a website I copy it and print that out in case it crashes. I also keep a copy in Dr*pb*x and on disks.

Paperback Writer

Learning the craft
Registered
Reaction score
Basically as long as you're signed up to your dial up provider you just deal with them. If you want to sign up to the WIFI company that is a separate bill.

Lets say you're doing what you do everyday and logged into to your dial up, you save a web page and print it. In that case you just pay whatever you're paying now nothing extra.

The WIFI connected to the internet through a WIFI internet service provider (ISP) carries a bill.

A WIFI private network just for printing is free. Why? Because it's local, limited to the few computers on your network.

Last edited:

Deleted member 42

sob*

Okay, thank you guys. I know the real cost in printers is in the ink, so refills would be nice.

That's a great printer; I understand your sorrow.

I suspect, but do not know without a hands-on inspection, that the flash was the corona wire burning, and that's not going to be repairable.

Stlight

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's a great printer; I understand your sorrow.

I suspect, but do not know without a hands-on inspection, that the flash was the corona wire burning, and that's not going to be repairable.

It did look a bit fatal.

The printer is still on my desk under the cover I made for it to match the curtains. The cover was to keep the dust and cat fur and cats out of it. I think that helped it's length of life.

Xer*x quit supporting it and producing ink cartages for it two years ago. I was disappointed in them.

Deleted member 42

Xer*x quit supporting it and producing ink cartages for it two years ago. I was disappointed in them.

I do sympathize, but I also understand that they're in a bad place the last few years.

I'd look at an HP LaserJet, were I you.