Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: I need some help finding a small Christian publisher.

I need some help finding a small Christian publisher.

Hey guys. I have a co-worker who self-pubbed a book with Tate in 2010. She isn't very happy with her results, but she's not totally dissatisfied with Tate either.

I recommended AW to her. We checked out some of the Bewares and Background checks, and of course found Tate there.

Anyway, I told her I would search AW to see if there are any small Christian publishing houses for her. She's finished the second book as a companion to the first, and is starting a third. Is it even possible to publish the other two traditionally?

Shiny new cover! AW Moderator Calla Lily's Avatar
    Greta, there's a thread in this subforum called Christian Markets.

Deb Kinnard is our resident expert on Christian presses. I believe a few will take unagented subs. To crack the bigger Christian pubs she'll need an agent.

Good luck to her!

but appreciated anyway... Unimportant's Avatar
    If they stand alone and are good enough, there's no reason she can't find a commercial press for them.

She can check out my current publisher, White Rose, if it's Christian romance. The sister company, Harborlight, publishes Christian mysteries. What genre?

It happened at his concert... Deb Kinnard's Avatar
    Desert Breeze is a publisher of sweet (G and PG rated) romance including Christian. I've been very happy with them.

There's also Mountain View, but I'm not sure how caught up Lee is right now. Other names that come to mind (barring, of course, their having been skarphed up by conglomerates and I just haven't heard yet): Whitaker House, DeWard Publishing, OakTara.

That's all I can think of at the moment.
    WIP: "IF I BUT LOVED", 1375, Cornwall

"City Lights" series (indie)
    LOVE ONLY KNOWS, Book 1
    FALLING SLOWLY, Book 2
    A HOME FOR THE HEART, Book 3, all now available for Kindle

An inspiration... ...I have a serious case of Grobanosis

Quote Originally Posted by Deb Kinnard View Post
    There's also Mountain View, but I'm not sure how caught up Lee is right now. nt.
    Unfortunately, Lee announced a week or so ago she would be closing the company and retiring.

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred Chris P's Avatar
    A friend of mine had a book published with Father's Press and was satisfied. I looked over their website, and it looks like the author will have to do a lot of the marketing legwork. At least they're honest about it. I don't know if they are a vanity press. My friend's other works were with iUniverse, a vanity, and Treble Heart, which seems to require a minimum purchase of your own book, so this might be of the same ilk.
    Short Fiction in the AW Library

Click here to see a video of my two years in Uganda with the Peace Corps

Resingled Needs another round of betas. Interested?
    Nyasaland Undergoing major repairs.
    WIP: Cloak of Iron. WWI Sci-fi. It's got tanks. And holograms. 43,000 words.

Christian publishers

Hi Gretad08. The only ones I found were West Bow (Self-publishing division of Nelson and not small), Baker Book House for religious related fiction in Grand Rapids MI and Broadman Holman Publishers in Nashville. I hope you find one. JB Clemmens

In Time-Out For My Sins
    Quote Originally Posted by JBClemmens View Post
    Hi Gretad08. The only ones I found were West Bow (Self-publishing division of Nelson and not small), Baker Book House for religious related fiction in Grand Rapids MI and Broadman Holman Publishers in Nashville. I hope you find one. JB Clemmens
    I have heard good things about West Bow. A lot of the Bible studys book I buy are from Thomas Nelson

Shiny new cover! AW Moderator Calla Lily's Avatar
    Thomas Nelson and WestBow are two different things. Nelson is the commercial division--they pay the author to publish the book. WestBow is the vanity division--the author pays them.

There's a long discussion about the two in the BR&BC room.

It happened at his concert... Deb Kinnard's Avatar
    If your buddy is not okay with Tate, IMO she will not be okay with WestBow. Pay-to-play, not actually affiliated with Nelson though they claim to be, and publishing through Author Solutions (which is what WestBow basically is), is extremely expensive. She can self-pub on her own on much better terms.
    WIP: "IF I BUT LOVED", 1375, Cornwall

"City Lights" series (indie)
    LOVE ONLY KNOWS, Book 1
    FALLING SLOWLY, Book 2
    A HOME FOR THE HEART, Book 3, all now available for Kindle

An inspiration... ...I have a serious case of Grobanosis

In Time-Out For My Sins
    Quote Originally Posted by callalily61 View Post
    Greta, there's a thread in this subforum called Christian Markets.
    I know this is a somewhat older thread, but still wanted to say thanks for this!