Emanuel Church has a donate button on their website, if you'd like to help.

See also the Mother Emanuel Hope Fund

 

 

 

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 81

Thread: Girls (HBO TV series)

  1. #1
    More like the queen of typos. Oops! Jehhillenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Southeastern, U.S.A.
    Posts
    13,372

    Girls (HBO TV series)

    Does anyone else watch this?

    It follows an aspiring writer, Hannah, and her friends, all 20-somethings, post-college in New York. They're not rich. They're lost. They're very much representative of a generation.


    I tuned into the show and love it now. I find it refreshingly realistic as I identify all too well with the characters and their lives at this point in my life.
    >>Writing Tumblr (NSFW)<<
    >>Get-inside-my-head! Tumblr (NSFW)<<

    "What's the most resilient parasite? An idea. A single idea from the human mind can build cities...transform the world and rewrite all the rules." - Inception

    "I don't have delusions of grandeur, I have an actual recipe for grandeur." - Limitless

  2. #2
    you didn't come and help me kuwisdelu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    where the Lilin are
    Posts
    33,419
    I've seen it. I liked it.

    The first episodes were pretty good, and I think it got better as it went along.

    Reminded me of a friend of mine who used to live in LA.
    (a blog.) ...last updated 15 June 2015

  3. #3
    More like the queen of typos. Oops! Jehhillenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Southeastern, U.S.A.
    Posts
    13,372
    Yeah the first season was good so I'm looking forward to the new episodes.
    >>Writing Tumblr (NSFW)<<
    >>Get-inside-my-head! Tumblr (NSFW)<<

    "What's the most resilient parasite? An idea. A single idea from the human mind can build cities...transform the world and rewrite all the rules." - Inception

    "I don't have delusions of grandeur, I have an actual recipe for grandeur." - Limitless

  4. #4
    Benefactor Member Manuel Royal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Posts
    4,257
    Saw the first couple of episodes, but found it annoying. The characters seemed whiny to me.
    Fiction blog as Manuel Royal: Donnetown Today or Recently (or a Long Time Ago)

    Fiction column under my real name: Welcome to Smyrnings ; continued as Spland of the Splost

    Six-minute YouTube video produced by SandJack from my short script (NSFW): Make The Baby

  5. #5
    More like the queen of typos. Oops! Jehhillenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Southeastern, U.S.A.
    Posts
    13,372
    I've heard that from some reviews too.
    >>Writing Tumblr (NSFW)<<
    >>Get-inside-my-head! Tumblr (NSFW)<<

    "What's the most resilient parasite? An idea. A single idea from the human mind can build cities...transform the world and rewrite all the rules." - Inception

    "I don't have delusions of grandeur, I have an actual recipe for grandeur." - Limitless

  6. #6
    I watched a couple episodes and loathed the characters. I can't imagine talking to my parents the way the main character does to hers, that attitude of entitlement and absolute lack of respect. I know it's not unrealistic in a larger sense, but it really put me off. Also the token virgin REALLY pissed me off.
    WIP: Cave Draconem (YA dark fantasy), 78k, revising
    Short: 100% Organic (horror), 2000, subbing (Rs--2)

    Blog: http://glitter-n-gore.livejournal.com/

  7. #7
    practical experience, FTW cornflake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    8,007
    Watched the first season, hate it deeply. I think it's badly, shallowly, written by someone who seems not to think narrative or character are important at all.

  8. #8
    Lost in the Fog rugcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    East O' The Sun & West O' The Moon
    Posts
    13,886
    I think it's brilliant.

    It's a bit like Sex and the City, one difference being that SATC was a fantasy about how women behave and talk and think -- written (albeit cleverly) mostly by gay men.

    Girls is an authentic and very funny take about what it's like to be a twentysomething growing up in today's society -- written by Lena Dunham, a twentysomething young woman -- and a hugely talented one at that.

    Just won the Golden Globes award for best comedy series, and Lena Dunham won for best actress in a comedy series -- both well deserved.
    Urban Fantasy rules:Play Dead My Website

  9. #9
    you didn't come and help me kuwisdelu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    where the Lilin are
    Posts
    33,419
    Quote Originally Posted by Manuel Royal View Post
    Saw the first couple of episodes, but found it annoying. The characters seemed whiny to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhoda Nightingale View Post
    I watched a couple episodes and loathed the characters. I can't imagine talking to my parents the way the main character does to hers, that attitude of entitlement and absolute lack of respect. I know it's not unrealistic in a larger sense, but it really put me off.
    That's what we mean when we say

    Quote Originally Posted by Jehhillenberg View Post
    They're very much representative of a generation.
    I take it ya'll aren't Brett Easton Ellis fans, either?
    (a blog.) ...last updated 15 June 2015

  10. #10
    More like the queen of typos. Oops! Jehhillenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Southeastern, U.S.A.
    Posts
    13,372
    Quote Originally Posted by rugcat View Post
    I think it's brilliant.

    It's a bit like Sex and the City, one difference being that SATC was a fantasy about how women behave and talk and think -- written (albeit cleverly) mostly by gay men.

    Girls is an authentic and very funny take about what it's like to be a twentysomething growing up in today's society -- written by Lena Dunham, a twentysomething young woman -- and a hugely talented one at that.

    Just won the Golden Globes award for best comedy series, and Lena Dunham won for best actress in a comedy series -- both well deserved.
    BAM. Exactly.

    And they have references to "Sex & the City" throughout the show also, mainly through the formerly token virgin character, Shoshana. I think it may even have a touch of "Entourage" to it as far as the pack of girls go.

    I am a new fan of Lena Dunham. I think she's doing it right.

    I shall now live vicariously through Lena...acting, directing, writing, and producing her own show.
    >>Writing Tumblr (NSFW)<<
    >>Get-inside-my-head! Tumblr (NSFW)<<

    "What's the most resilient parasite? An idea. A single idea from the human mind can build cities...transform the world and rewrite all the rules." - Inception

    "I don't have delusions of grandeur, I have an actual recipe for grandeur." - Limitless

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by kuwisdelu View Post
    I take it ya'll aren't Brett Easton Ellis fans, either?
    After all of one book I wouldn't call myself a "fan" yet, but I think he's brilliant, actually. I know why you're drawing the comparison, but honestly I can't put my finger on why this show bugs me, but American Psycho is one of my favorite books/movies ever.

    Must be the token virgin. I really, really hate the token virgin.
    WIP: Cave Draconem (YA dark fantasy), 78k, revising
    Short: 100% Organic (horror), 2000, subbing (Rs--2)

    Blog: http://glitter-n-gore.livejournal.com/

  12. #12
    Red fish, blue fish... J.S.F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Osaka
    Posts
    5,394
    I watched a few episodes. The acting is very good, very believable, which is probably why some of the characters piss me off. You know you're good at acting when the fans believe you really are that person...or so that saying goes. I wouldn't call myself a fan, but the show is generally very good in all aspects.

    As for the token virgin, we all were...once. Things like that I let go. Will the show get better? Hope so.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by J.S.F. View Post
    As for the token virgin, we all were...once. Things like that I let go. Will the show get better? Hope so.
    It's not that a token virgin exists in this show that bothers me--it's her character being depicted as a naive ditz. As a 29 year old virgin who is neither naive nor a ditz, I find that trope both insulting and unrealistic.
    WIP: Cave Draconem (YA dark fantasy), 78k, revising
    Short: 100% Organic (horror), 2000, subbing (Rs--2)

    Blog: http://glitter-n-gore.livejournal.com/

  14. #14
    More like the queen of typos. Oops! Jehhillenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Southeastern, U.S.A.
    Posts
    13,372
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhoda Nightingale View Post
    It's not that a token virgin exists in this show that bothers me--it's her character being depicted as a naive ditz. As a 29 year old virgin who is neither naive nor a ditz, I find that trope both insulting and unrealistic.
    Since you elaborated on why you don't like her character, I do agree with that. I think that is just her personality though. I'd like to believe her personality and quirks are independent of and don't necessarily exist just because she happens(ed) to be virgin.

    But that naive-quirky-odd-intelligent-sheltered trait often paired with being a virgin is getting/had gotten old. If the show took a different approach with being the token virgin or 20-something virgin in today's world, my mind would be blown to smithereens. That'd be awesome.

    Now that that ship has sailed, her quirky personality is still there and she acts the same for the most part, just less obsessive about "losing it," her virginity.
    >>Writing Tumblr (NSFW)<<
    >>Get-inside-my-head! Tumblr (NSFW)<<

    "What's the most resilient parasite? An idea. A single idea from the human mind can build cities...transform the world and rewrite all the rules." - Inception

    "I don't have delusions of grandeur, I have an actual recipe for grandeur." - Limitless

  15. #15
    avem narrans lastlittlebird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,315
    I love it, perhaps partly because most of the characters really annoy me. Those kinds of people annoy me in real life as well. But, I feel like the writers get that. It's not that they're oblivious.... the intent is to skewer that kind of self-centred behaviour.

    Plus I have an unfortunate crush on Adam. Don't tell anyone.
    Tumblr
    My Website





    Tempting the Unicorn

    If the idea is not original, at least let it be unpredictable. If it is not unpredictable, let it be beautiful. If it is not beautiful, let it be meaningful. If it is not meaningful, let it go.

  16. #16
    More like the queen of typos. Oops! Jehhillenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Southeastern, U.S.A.
    Posts
    13,372
    Quote Originally Posted by lastlittlebird View Post
    I love it, perhaps partly because most of the characters really annoy me. Those kinds of people annoy me in real life as well. But, I feel like the writers get that. It's not that they're oblivious.... the intent is to skewer that kind of self-centred behaviour.

    Plus I have an unfortunate crush on Adam. Don't tell anyone.
    He had to grow on me, because he's a straight-up douche. But as Hannah pointed out, he is charming and he did come around eventually. The guy just says whatever the hell is on his mind at the moment. He's got no filter. But I like that to an extent. I started to feel like he had some sort of mental problem. He's hilarious, strange, and has a great bod, so I'm entertained haha
    >>Writing Tumblr (NSFW)<<
    >>Get-inside-my-head! Tumblr (NSFW)<<

    "What's the most resilient parasite? An idea. A single idea from the human mind can build cities...transform the world and rewrite all the rules." - Inception

    "I don't have delusions of grandeur, I have an actual recipe for grandeur." - Limitless

  17. #17
    More like the queen of typos. Oops! Jehhillenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Southeastern, U.S.A.
    Posts
    13,372
    I also like the little variety of guys the show has so far.
    >>Writing Tumblr (NSFW)<<
    >>Get-inside-my-head! Tumblr (NSFW)<<

    "What's the most resilient parasite? An idea. A single idea from the human mind can build cities...transform the world and rewrite all the rules." - Inception

    "I don't have delusions of grandeur, I have an actual recipe for grandeur." - Limitless

  18. #18
    avem narrans lastlittlebird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,315
    Yeah I like that too. Often with a "female-centric" show I feel like the male characters are all the same character, each with a slightly different problem of the week.
    But the men of Girls are definitely individuals.
    Tumblr
    My Website





    Tempting the Unicorn

    If the idea is not original, at least let it be unpredictable. If it is not unpredictable, let it be beautiful. If it is not beautiful, let it be meaningful. If it is not meaningful, let it go.

  19. #19
    Kind of a big deal CharacterInWhite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Oop north
    Posts
    339
    Did it occur to anybody else that the "token" virgin is a virgin because she's incredibly neurotic? She probably scares her potential partners away with her chatter-boxiness (yes I just made that a word).

    I think she's neurotic first and virginal second...

    I'm only on the third episode, mind you, but her character hasn't evoked quite the same reaction as everyone else. In fact, I'm mostly just afraid of her.
    There is a 99%* chance your question about writing could be answered if you tried writing.
    *not a real statistic

    Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak because a baby can't chew it.
    - Mark Twain

  20. #20
    More like the queen of typos. Oops! Jehhillenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Southeastern, U.S.A.
    Posts
    13,372
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterInWhite View Post
    Did it occur to anybody else that the "token" virgin is a virgin because she's incredibly neurotic? She probably scares her potential partners away with her chatter-boxiness (yes I just made that a word).

    I think she's neurotic first and virginal second...

    I'm only on the third episode, mind you, but her character hasn't evoked quite the same reaction as everyone else. In fact, I'm mostly just afraid of her.
    That's basically what I meant when I mentioned her personality. I think that is her personality and not necessarily *because* she's a virgin.

    I think Shoshanna is an acquired taste. I didn't get her in the first couple of episodes, but she's just fine with me now; as the season progressed.
    >>Writing Tumblr (NSFW)<<
    >>Get-inside-my-head! Tumblr (NSFW)<<

    "What's the most resilient parasite? An idea. A single idea from the human mind can build cities...transform the world and rewrite all the rules." - Inception

    "I don't have delusions of grandeur, I have an actual recipe for grandeur." - Limitless

  21. #21
    No, I get what you guys are saying--that personality type isn't necessarily tied to her virginity, which isn't a lasting thing. But like you said in post #14, the two traits (virginity and an excess of neuroses) are SO common they've become obnoxious, and this show isn't an exception to that. Also I'm tired of virginity being an ISSUE that must be resolved at some point in a character's development, but I guess that's too much to ask from most media, everywhere.

    Eh, token virgin aside, I'm clearly not in the target demographic here anyway. From what I did see of it, I did think it was very realistically written and gritty. I just hated all the characters. That's a dealbreaker for me, no matter how clever or nuanced any other part of a work of fiction is.
    WIP: Cave Draconem (YA dark fantasy), 78k, revising
    Short: 100% Organic (horror), 2000, subbing (Rs--2)

    Blog: http://glitter-n-gore.livejournal.com/

  22. #22
    More like the queen of typos. Oops! Jehhillenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Southeastern, U.S.A.
    Posts
    13,372
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhoda Nightingale View Post
    No, I get what you guys are saying--that personality type isn't necessarily tied to her virginity, which isn't a lasting thing. But like you said in post #14, the two traits (virginity and an excess of neuroses) are SO common they've become obnoxious, and this show isn't an exception to that. Also I'm tired of virginity being an ISSUE that must be resolved at some point in a character's development, but I guess that's too much to ask from most media, everywhere.

    Eh, token virgin aside, I'm clearly not in the target demographic here anyway. From what I did see of it, I did think it was very realistically written and gritty. I just hated all the characters. That's a dealbreaker for me, no matter how clever or nuanced any other part of a work of fiction is.
    Very valid, indeed.

    In this sex-crazed world, characters like Shoshanna (the virginal aspect) are a rare gem to come by.

    And yeah, I love that realistic, gritty writing style of the show. Dialogue ain't bad at all either.

    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Rhoda, what if a show was created based on the opposite angle of Sex & the City where the MC was a virgin and nothing was wrong with it or the person. More like Virgin in the (Sex) City
    >>Writing Tumblr (NSFW)<<
    >>Get-inside-my-head! Tumblr (NSFW)<<

    "What's the most resilient parasite? An idea. A single idea from the human mind can build cities...transform the world and rewrite all the rules." - Inception

    "I don't have delusions of grandeur, I have an actual recipe for grandeur." - Limitless

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Jehhillenberg View Post
    Rhoda, what if a show was created based on the opposite angle of Sex & the City where the MC was a virgin and nothing was wrong with it or the person. More like Virgin in the (Sex) City
    Well that right there is one of the things I love about Jon Snow from Game of Thrones--he's celibate (at least so far, I've only read the first book, seen the first two seasons of the show), and it's mentioned a couple times, but it's not an Issue--it's a footnote in his character development, and only tends to come up when some other character wants to make a Thing of it.

    Completely different genre and audience, I know, but boy, do I appreciate GRRM for giving the world that character. If he gets killed off, I will cry for days.

    It would be nice if we could see a character like that in a contemporary setting though.
    WIP: Cave Draconem (YA dark fantasy), 78k, revising
    Short: 100% Organic (horror), 2000, subbing (Rs--2)

    Blog: http://glitter-n-gore.livejournal.com/

  24. #24
    all hail zombie babies! CrastersBabies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,134
    I just caught a nice marathon of this on HBO (free for the weekend!). The pilot was a bit shaky, but it really grew into its own. Adam makes me laugh out loud.
    "That is hoity-toity nonsense." ~ Bufty

  25. #25
    More like the queen of typos. Oops! Jehhillenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Southeastern, U.S.A.
    Posts
    13,372
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhoda Nightingale View Post
    Well that right there is one of the things I love about Jon Snow from Game of Thrones--he's celibate (at least so far, I've only read the first book, seen the first two seasons of the show), and it's mentioned a couple times, but it's not an Issue--it's a footnote in his character development, and only tends to come up when some other character wants to make a Thing of it.

    Completely different genre and audience, I know, but boy, do I appreciate GRRM for giving the world that character. If he gets killed off, I will cry for days.

    It would be nice if we could see a character like that in a contemporary setting though.
    Here's hoping to that...


    That is if I don't accomplish first
    >>Writing Tumblr (NSFW)<<
    >>Get-inside-my-head! Tumblr (NSFW)<<

    "What's the most resilient parasite? An idea. A single idea from the human mind can build cities...transform the world and rewrite all the rules." - Inception

    "I don't have delusions of grandeur, I have an actual recipe for grandeur." - Limitless

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Custom Search