Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How many times have you read your novel?

How many times have you read your novel?

Cover-to-cover, like reading any other story. Just curious. I'm in the revision phase, so it feels like I've read the thing a million times. Even though it's probably closer to... three.

Or are you a random-attack-editor that goes after disconnected sections of the manuscript?

Misbehaving and stuff Beachgirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JLBrady View Post
    Cover-to-cover, like reading any other story. Just curious. I'm in the revision phase, so it feels like I've read the thing a million times. Even though it's probably closer to... three.

Or are you a random-attack-editor that goes after disconnected sections of the manuscript?
    I typically read it through that way twice, before I submit it to my publisher. And I never read them again after they're published. I don't want to take the risk of finding some random error and stressing about it after the fact.

BookStrand Amazon Blog Twitter AW Library

WIP: Tangled (Shifter Sanctuary 3)

So many times that I've lost count. Probably dozens. Each time I read it, it's from beginning to end, tweaking little things as I go along. I find that's the most logical way for me.

So Goth That I Was Born Black AW Moderator Kitty27's Avatar
    I have reread to the point I am sick of my own work!

I go over the novels in a very obsessive manner. I've chopped and screwed them to death. I still find something to worry over.

I also like the flow of my words *arrogant face*

I go through the MS one chapter at a time and make notes for each one. Then I look at the notes and try to see if any problems are emerging. Then I make corrections and leave it alone for awhile. I go back with fresh eyes and repeat the process.
    Tupac Shakur,the greatest rapper of all time,is now in the National Recording Registry

NIGHT CALLS(Finally have a title! )YA Paranormal Romance/YA Novel Coming 2015.(FINALLY.)
    Chocolate&Coffee are necessary for a happy life.

"You've got to stop with this rap crap,Kitty. Put on some blues,gal! Feel that pain,soul and a good old time. Get with some Howling Wolf,Denise LaSalle and Johnny Taylor. Not that Snoopy boy or whatever his name is."
    RC Wilcox,RIP

Oooh look at the pretty pony! goldhorse's Avatar
    So many I get a little nauseous when I pick it up again. Got to keep plugging away though. I'll be 125 before I finish if I don't.

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue Snowstorm's Avatar
    Lost in the Wyoming mountains. Don't try to rescue me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitty27 View Post
    I have reread to the point I am sick of my own work!
    This. I don't know how many times I've read it. It seems like a million times.

Blood Atonement, a historical mystery, and Clear and Convincing Evidence, a contemporary mystery

WIP: Tarnished Gold, a historical mystery

Blog Twitter Facebook

Banned
    Until my eyes bleed and I'm so sick and tired of reading my same novel that even someone mentioning the title at random makes me Seriously, editing is crucial, absolutely necessary, but you can only read the same thing so many times without getting sick of it, but I usually do it, while I'm editing, till I can't take it anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Beachgirl View Post
    And I never read them again after they're published. I don't want to take the risk of finding some random error and stressing about it after the fact.
    That's some damn good advice, Beachgirl.
    Current WIPs
    Horror Novel: 20,000 of 90,000 words.
    Various weird short stories.

practical experience, FTW rwm4768's Avatar
    Too many.

practical experience, FTW Sunflowerrei's Avatar
    I'm more like you, JL Brady. I'm revising too, going into another draft. I have some distance from it and I finally read it cover-to-cover about a month or two ago on hard copy. It was probably the second time I read it all the way through--the last was when I finished the first draft. I made my notes all the way through, but I edit and revise in chunks.
    Pearl is now available on Amazon.

Current Projects: Novel, Victorian London/modern day New York.

Blog: The Sunflower's Scribbles | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads

Yeah, I usually have to read it on something other than my laptop screen to feel properly disconnected from it. I usually load it up onto my kindle and read it that way.

My poor printer has seen better days. That, and my dog has an overwhelming fear of it. So no paper for me.

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred Chris P's Avatar
    While writing, I read it lots of times, as other people said, until I get sick of it. I read it looking for errors, or when stuck looking for inspiration to continue on.

But once it's published? Never. I'll sometimes read a short story right after it comes out, but for the most part I'm so focused on the next project I don't go back.
    Short Fiction in the AW Library

Click here to see a video of my two years in Uganda with the Peace Corps

Resingled Needs another round of betas. Interested?
    Nyasaland Undergoing major repairs.
    WIP: Cloak of Iron. WWI Sci-fi. It's got tanks. And holograms. 43,000 words.

Yeah, I usually have to read it on something other than my laptop screen to feel properly disconnected from it.
    Same here, except I print it and do it that way.

I usually do two full read throughs, just to make sure I haven't missed anything in edits, before I send it off. But I read it countless times, bit by bit.
    Current WIPs
    Horror Novel: 20,000 of 90,000 words.
    Various weird short stories.

Writing my way off the B Ark Becky Black's Avatar
    5,452,830 times.

Okay, no. I have no clue how many times I read my books in the editing, but it's a lot. When I add them to my shelves on Goodreads there's a field for "how many times have you read this book?" I just laugh hysterically.
    Writer of m/m and f/f romance. My books and stories are available from Loose Id, JMS Books and Dreamspinner Press. See more details in my Absolute Write Library thread.

If my writing is going smoothly, I'll generally read the previous cpt. before continuing on, just to get myself in the groove.

But if I'm stuck, I tend to reread the thing in its entirety, hoping that seeing the big picture will spur some damn thing.

Meaning, I reread the thing in its entirety a lot.
    From TWINK:
    Iíll be dead by the time anybody reads this thing--making a big assumption there, I know--so humor me, all right?
    /my blog/

Rep'd by Brent Taylor @ TriadaUS Lit. Agency

resident curmudgeon
    Once when I finish, and then whatever reading is required during the editing stage after it sells.

practical experience, FTW aikigypsy's Avatar
    It feels like a lot, but I don't think I read it straight through very often at all, maybe once before each rewrite or major edit, and then right before sending it out. Each of those times, I make some notes and minor edits even if I'm 95% in "reader mode." If you count the times I go through each scene, though? I dunno, 50,000 times?

I haven't published much, but by the time something's out there, I never want to look at it again!

Rock-licker
    I like to read it through on the Kindle and have my laptop open as I do it, so I can correct as I go. Funny how the simple things, like printing it out, make you see it completely differently!

I've read this one, hmm, maybe 3 or 4 times in total. Certain parts I've read close to a hundred times, I'm sure. I know it so well that if I'm searching for a certain scene in my Word document I can type a distinct word or phrase from that scene in Ctrl-F and find it easily...

Too many times. Far too many friggin' times.
    Website/Blog- Twitter

WIP: Mecha and Monsters Project, Draft 5

I typically don't read mine.
    "Iím putting this book right up there alongside Laurie Halse Andersonís, TWISTED, and John Greenís, LOOKING FOR ALASKA. Not to be missed. Highly recommended!" ~ From a review of BURN BABY BURN BABY.

Click on the cover images below to go to my Amazon page:

I blog

I Tweet

"I'll have no truck with plots." ~ Sheldon Cooper

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg Putputt's Avatar
    For my first book, enough times such that I Pavlov-ed myself into wanting to puke every time someone mentions "edit" and the title of the book.

I'm hoping I won't need to read this one that many times...
    corny: This is the way of the future. Nonsensical fragments and oozingly gross weeping sores of language spilling over the keyboard.

I feel like corny needs to have a book review site, really.

Hippo Cartoons
    Twitter

Repped by M&O

I haven't read them yet.

Haha. Seriously though. Each one varies. I think the average for me is between 8 to 12 times. The thing I cringe about is when I JUST read it and someone asks for a revision.

And I too(for the same reasons) don't read it after it's published and everything's said and done.

Heh, here I am being contrary again...

I try not to look at it too much. I write lists of changes I need to make, as I think of them, and when I sit down to revise it's an intensive process. But in between, no fiddling, no "fine-tuning", I slap my hand away.

Partly it's because I have an over-polishing urge. Too much second-guessing can lead me toward editing everything down to bland phrases and vagueness, so I try to protect those raw images that came to me in the moment of writing.

Four full drafts, five tops.

On the down side, I find I tend to remember earlier drafts more clearly than late ones. Sometimes I'll be revising and get to a scene that makes me say "When did this happen? Oh, right, this was because of..."

Available at all major e-retailers ē H&R published by Dreamspinner Press

Writing blog: Notes from the Jovian frontier ē Twitter: LBlankenship_sf
    Creative Services for self-publishers: covers, ebook formatting, and more

I'm in the middle of revisions, so I reckon I must have read the entire thing about five times now. Curiously I'm not sick of it yet though, a first for me in the editing process - I guess I must really love this one.

writer, rider, reader...ex-pat! BethS's Avatar

I haven't finished it yet, but since I revise as I go, I've read through each scene literally dozens of times.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast