Do you celebrate fictional birthdays?

thebloodfiend

Cory
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thebooklantern.com
I DON'T GET IT BUT MY BIRTHDAY IS OCTOBER 10TH AND I THOUGHT YOU SHOULD KNOW IT'S A GREAT DAY TO BE BORN. THIS IS INFORMATION I AM GIVING YOU TO HELP AS RESEARCH OKAY GOOD.

October 10th — 10/10
Feb 2nd — 2/2
May 5th — 5/5

I'm a lazy ass. It helps me remember so I don't fuck up the dates when I'm writing. I figure real people have real birthdays, so if I'm ever in a JKR situation (hah) I can throw it out there.

(And I'm lazy when it comes to reading, too. I'm almost done with your MS, I swear.)

Emmet Cameron

Registered
Reaction score
October 10th — 10/10
Feb 2nd — 2/2
May 5th — 5/5

I'm a lazy ass. It helps me remember so I don't fuck up the dates when I'm writing. I figure real people have real birthdays, so if I'm ever in a JKR situation (hah) I can throw it out there.

(And I'm lazy when it comes to reading, too. I'm almost done with your MS, I swear.)

1. Ooooh, got it. Yeah, it's super convenient to have as your real birthday too. I really suck at getting d/m/y format dates mixed up because the most common one I have to put in that format is my date of birth, for which I only have to remember that the year goes last. BAM.

2. Haha, no worries, it's a bit of a monster, I know. Looking forward to your feedback, but totally understand if it takes time.

CaseyMcG

Registered
Reaction score
I tend to make my character's birthdays the same birthdays of friends and family I have in real life. So I suppose in a way I do celebrate them.

Elenma

Registered
Reaction score
I usually have a feeling what month my characters must have been born, and often I decide on a specific date, too, though they don't always come up in a story and I don't know them all by heart anymore.

I've never celebrated one, but it sounds like a GREAT idea. I would love to do that!

Though I have been writing stuff for about 17 years, and I am very character-driven, AND for many of those years most of what I did was come up with one to five characters, write two to three pages about them and then move on to something else... A lot of my old characters do feel like old friends to me, but if I celebrated all their birthdays, I'd be very busy... ;)

On the other hand, excuses to have chocolate and/or cake every week? That can't be bad. :D

teacherwelden

Registered
Reaction score
I have a rough idea of when my characters birthdays are. I don't ever intend on celebrating them....I guess I am run ragged as it is baking cakes for the 3 (very real) children I already have. No doubt my son would think this is a super idea since he just loves all things sweet.

teacherwelden

Registered
Reaction score
Having said this, I need to kill off one of my characters in a few chapters. I feel quite sad about saying goodbye to him. I might even shed a small tear for him.....am I alone in this?