Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Subgenre?

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Historical. I like the variety that different times and places offer.

This will all make sense tomorrow
    Regency historical. Just love the time period.
    Wicked Historical Romance
    ---
    Web: www.nicola-davidson.com
    FB: Nicola Davidson - Author
    Twitter: @NicolaMDavidson
    ---
    His Forbidden Lady (Tudor) available now from Entangled Publishing.
    A Midsummer Night's Kiss anthology (Regency) OUT NOW!
    To Love a Hellion (Regency rom sus) August 2015
    One Forbidden Knight (Tudor) October 2015

Hopeful romantic/hopeless pedant ARoyce's Avatar
    Historical romance...Victorian Britain.

Also considering contemporary...at some unknown point in the future. Maybe.
    Living my Happily Ever After and writing imaginary ones

Web site ~ Twitter ~ Facebook

Wicked Safari release date March 17 gingerwoman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ebbrown View Post
    Yes I kind of want to write everything. I have about 10 books trying to write themselves making it hard to focus on the one at hand. I dream of writing a time travel novel one day but I have so many other ideas it seems pretty far down the track. One of the books I'm reading right now is the novelisation of the movie "The Butterfly Effect" (the movie had Ashton Kucher in it if you've seen it.) I have a Sci Fi erotic romance in my head that I want to write and a gay BD/SM story that is probably contemp, an erotic sci fi. a ghost menage and various other plot bunnies attacking me. Help!
    Paranormal Romance -Menage - Erotic Romance from Samhain Publishing 4th place for Best Published Paranormal in the Passionate Plume award.

Read the blurb for Wicked Safari and buy it here.

To find actively acquiring publishers and agents visit my blog
    http://lisawhitefern.wordpress.com/

In search of my marbles ElaineA's Avatar
    I would love to know! Mine has a modern beginning and end, time-travel to ancient Pompeii in the middle, with the time travel instigated by a devil. What is that? Paranormal? Time Travel? Historical?

In search of my marbles ElaineA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gingerwoman View Post
    Yes I kind of want to write everything. I have about 10 books trying to write themselves making it hard to focus on the one at hand. I dream of writing a time travel novel one day but I have so many other ideas it seems pretty far down the track. One of the books I'm reading right now is the novelisation of the movie "The Butterfly Effect" (the movie had Ashton Kucher in it if you've seen it.) I have a Sci Fi erotic romance in my head that I want to write and a gay BD/SM story that is probably contemp, an erotic sci fi. a ghost menage and various other plot bunnies attacking me. Help!
    Gay, erotic, ghost bunnies? AWESOME!

Superpowers: Making babies, writing MeganJoWrites's Avatar
    I like to write contemporary and for some reason, my gravitation is toward the New Adult subgenre. I love the college-age time period in our lives, when we are trying to figure everything out. I love how intense relationships are at that age.

I actually started writing the series I'm working on before I knew "New Adult" existed. Glad it does, since that's what I wrote!
    NA contemporary romance coming June 2014 from William Morrow/Harper Collins

Website/blog: meganerickson.org

Quote Originally Posted by Ann_Mayburn View Post
    Everything. Seriously. If a plot strikes and the muse is insistent I write it.

I just had to say: I LOVE your book covers!!

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineA View Post
    Mine has a modern beginning and end, time-travel to ancient Pompeii in the middle, with the time travel instigated by a devil. What is that? Paranormal? Time Travel? Historical?
    Contemporary - fantasy, I might say. Depends on several factors.

For instance, how much does your devil play into the story? if he's a major part of the entire story line, not just the cause of the time-travel, then maybe paranormal is correct. I wouldn't tout it as paranormal, though, unless the paranormal element encompasses the entire story.

Since you start in the present and go back to it, I would guess that your MCs are contemporary, so I wouldn't consider it a historical.

I lean toward romantic-suspense myself, but darn it if a paranormal element doesn't manage to slip itself in there!

My last MS was probably somewhere along the lines of a Jayne Ann Krentz Arcane novel feel. Romance surrounded by a mystery, with a strong paranormal element. Or perhaps spiritual is more correct since it involves Heaven and guardian angels.

My current WIP still has a strong paranormal involvement, (ghosts this time) but less so. It's more mystery and suspense that surrounds the romance, forcing the paranormal to take a back seat. Probably more along the lines of Julie Garwood's contemporary series with her hunky FBI men, although she has no paranormal elements in sight.

practical experience, FTW htrent's Avatar
    I just finished a glut of novel-length contemporaries, so I'm taking an erotic paranormal break. I expect they'll be plenty silly.

Follow your heart; take your brain SelmaW's Avatar
    Loving reading about everyone's subgenres! I write romantic suspense, for the most part

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12