What Subgenre?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
of Romance are you working on?

(contemporary, historical, regency, paranormal, suspense, etc)

I'm working on a single title contemporary.

Beachgirl

Not easily managed
Registered
Reaction score
I write paranormal and some futuristic/sci-fi. Mostly paranormal, though. I tried writing a contemporary, but then my male MC changed into a panther and I was like WTH??? So yeah, mostly paranormal.

Ann_Mayburn

Smutty McTitters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annmayburn.com
Everything. Seriously. If a plot strikes and the muse is insistent I write it. The way I figure it is that I'm in the author business for the long haul. As long as I let me muse play however she wants, I'll never be bored with what I do. While writing in one genre is great for some people, the thought of only writing paranormal romance or BDSM romance for the next twenty years is depressing. ;) On the flip side, some say that not sticking to one type hurts your readership. I have no idea about that.

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
LOL, Beachgirl I could see it being just a bit disconcerting to have the boy next door turn into a panther ;)

That's interesting, Ann. I don't think I've met anyone else who writes regularly in more than two or three subgenres.

I also write short lit fic and mainstream, but I've never so much as had a werewolf twitch a whisker when writing romance.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
contemporary

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
Mainly fantasy in non-Earth settings, though I occasionally venture into sci-fi or superhero. Pregnancy is one of my major themes, and incest between consenting adults is another. Specifically erotic romance, either m/m or m/m/f or mherm/mherm or m/mherm.

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for posting! There's a real spectrum of romance here. :)

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
Historical, mostly. Just got the edits back on the 14th C. Cornwall piece, and am working on a first draft of the 15th C. England piece that will follow it. My contemporary's on hold for going direct-to-reader until I get my contracted work done.

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
Mostly contemporary, mostly m/m, but I've done m/f, and I've done suspense, paranormal and sci-fi. I see myself doing more in the paranormal/sci-fi direction in the future - there's just so much more potential to REALLY mess with the characters without making them seem like permanent victims!

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
m/m - contemporary, historical and one sci-fi.

ebbrown

Easily Amused
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ebbrown.net
I dabble in a few genres. Current projects include the sequels in my Time Travel romance series and a fantasy romance stand-alone.
I also write contemporary romance.
Love historical romances, and I suppose the Time Travel romance is historical as well.

Satori1977

Listening to the Voices In My Head
Registered
Reaction score
Right now, it is contemporary m/m erotic romance. But I have done (and will plan on more in the future), sci-fi and fantasy. I don't see sticking to one genre (or subgenre). Too much fun to be had!

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
LOL, Beachgirl I could see it being just a bit disconcerting to have the boy next door turn into a panther ;)

That's interesting, Ann. I don't think I've met anyone else who writes regularly in more than two or three subgenres.

I also write short lit fic and mainstream, but I've never so much as had a werewolf twitch a whisker when writing romance.
I know of loads of people who write in several romance sub-genres.
Most everything I've had published has been paranormal/fairy tale erotic romance although I have a novella that is paranormal historical erotic romance and one 4000 word short story that is pure historical erotica.
Wicked Wonderland is paranormal set in present day and is an erotic menage romance.

Last edited:

julie_a_w

Registered
Reaction score
Contemporary, but I have a couple of paranormal ideas I've thought about trying out eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.