Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Un-Valentine's Day Challenge

I guess we'll once again be using a password-protected subforum? Thing is, if I can get this story to work, I'd also like to submit it somewhere. Considering whether its use in our Un-Valentine's Day Challenge would count as first publication.
    Fiction blog as Manuel Royal: Donnetown Today or Recently (or a Long Time Ago)

Fiction column under my real name: Welcome to Smyrnings ; continued as Spland of the Splost

Six-minute YouTube video produced by SandJack from my short script (NSFW): Make The Baby

'Twas but a dream of thee El Jefe MacAllister's Avatar
    Yep - the passworded forum again, and I'll pull anyone's stories they'd like pulled, too -- just drop me a note after the vote closes.

SPEAKING of stories, I've been plain swamped and haven't had a chance to post anyone's Christmas stories -- since the season has well passed, but it's not at all a bad time of year to be subbing seasonal stories to appropriate markets, consider all rights to those stories available and officially reverted to you, as far as AW is concerned.

If Caleb posted your stories on his site, though, that's a separate matter between the writer and him.
    AW on FaceBook
    AW on Twitter!
    About.Me

Sofa Monkeys - Pop Culture for the Short Attention Span | Creating Home - Living well, creating a home, and cooking with Mom! | Stones In the Field - Random notes and maunderings

Thanks, Mac.

Fiction column under my real name: Welcome to Smyrnings ; continued as Spland of the Splost

Six-minute YouTube video produced by SandJack from my short script (NSFW): Make The Baby

Now available (see sig for link)! Cliff Face's Avatar
    Who's Caleb? And what site?

*confused*
    Buy my comedic urban fantasy novel on Kindle today!
    I now have a blog.
    (Updated 21 May 2015)
    I also have a website where I can be hired as an editor! How exciting!

Main WIPs

The Black Book That Went 'Thud' (waiting to be edited)
    From De-cluttering To Minimalism: A Journey (is it finished yet?)
    The Little House of Flames (writing)

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Face View Post

*confused*
    Cliff Face, that's most definitely Classified Information, and even then, it's parcelled on a Need To Know basis, which you do not.

Need to know, I mean.

Do not worry. Your government has everything under control. Just go about your daily business, Cliff Face. Do not concern yourself further.

That is not a suggestion, btw.

On a lighter note, the deadline for this Valentine's Day Contest thingie looms. Let's recalculate (Cliff Face, you may want to join in, take your mind off things): Today is Feb. 12 which means, I do believe, that the deadline is TOMORROW EVENING at what, 11 p.m.?

I'm asking you a question, Cliff Face.

From CHERRY:
    Poor fucker, rode hard and put up wet.

*confused*
    Seriously, though: Caleb (CJacobo on AW) got the ball rolling on the Short Fiction Competition we had back in September, and put some of the stories on his site, here: http://calebjacobo.com/ Haven't seen him around lately, though.

Back to our regularly-scheduled programming. ETA to Valentine's Day Contest: T minus 38.5 hours (I think, don't quote me, I suck at math as well as spellign) give or take.
    Last edited by kkbe; 02-13-2013 at 12:54 AM. Reason: oh crud. Stick to the damn point of the damn thread, kkbe.

Thanks Manuel.

And kk - there's 14.5 hours to go for me, but I've submitted already. (Yes, I'm in the future down here in Australia. )
    I now have a blog.
    (Updated 21 May 2015)

Main WIPs

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Just to check in, should we be getting an email back saying "Yep, I received it," or should I shoot it off again?

Or perhaps, did it tickle the region of bad where one's memory refuses to transcribe the event?

Thanks Manuel.

And kk - there's 14.5 hours to go for me, but I've submitted already. (Yes, I'm in the future down here in Australia. )
    And less now, C.F., but still more for me than you, not that it matters from your standpoint, being as you already submitted, which I must surely do, because ETA is now something like hang on, getting tiny calculator 25.5 hours from now--11 p.m. tomorrow--not that it matters from your standpoint, being as it's already tomorrow there, from here I mean. . .

From CHERRY:

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Aziz View Post
    Just to check in, should we be getting an email back saying "Yep, I received it," or should I shoot it off again?

Or perhaps, did it tickle the region of bad where one's memory refuses to transcribe the event?
    Generally I just post 'em -- then if you don't see yours there, you PM me and resend it until I get it. There was one Christmas story that we had to try three or four different emails and dropbox methods with, before it came through (still dunno why).

We've had a pretty good number of stories already turned in, so this should be a really fun round.
    AW on FaceBook
    AW on Twitter!
    About.Me

Sofa Monkeys - Pop Culture for the Short Attention Span | Creating Home - Living well, creating a home, and cooking with Mom! | Stones In the Field - Random notes and maunderings

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Quote Originally Posted by MacAllister View Post
    Generally I just post 'em -- then if you don't see yours there, you PM me and resend it until I get it. There was one Christmas story that we had to try three or four different emails and dropbox methods with, before it came through (still dunno why).

We've had a pretty good number of stories already turned in, so this should be a really fun round.
    Looking forward to reading them then.

Mac, I remember the email (submissions AT absolutewrite DOT com), but -- are there are any special formatting requirements?

ETA: Sent it. Maybe someday I'll finish something well before deadline.
    Last edited by Manuel Royal; 02-14-2013 at 03:30 AM.

Stories are up! I'll put a poll up later tonight.

Happy reading, all!

(And if you don't see your story there, PM me and we'll track it down!)
    AW on FaceBook
    AW on Twitter!
    About.Me

I just finished my first read -- very romantic enjoyable.

Now to read again and make my first cut. *Smileywithscissorssmiley*

Free crosswords and crossword solving guide - www.hoskinscrosswords.com

Free Android app on Google Play with 5 'easy' xwds by Hoskins - Cryptic Crosswords: ACE Vol #1

Quite a variety! Nice to see some poetry in there.

practical experience, FTW Seraph's Avatar
    Variety, indeed. Some novel stuff. Didn't enter myself this time but really enjoying the reads. Gonna be a tricky vote.
    Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Okay, I'm excited! The ol' fingers are itchin' to get to at it now, so. . .

Not that, mr. smarty pants.
    From CHERRY:

Finished my second scissor read - cut the 9 down to 5. Last read and final cut tomorrow. Some funny stuff in there.

Free Android app on Google Play with 5 'easy' xwds by Hoskins - Cryptic Crosswords: ACE Vol #1

figuring it all out
    Read the first two stories and the poems.

Pretty enjoyable tales, nice!
    Last edited by Cernex; 02-19-2013 at 06:56 AM. Reason: Like always, first draft sucked!

Have read the first 5 entries. Methinks the second 5 will take a mite longer to read.

I now have a blog.
    (Updated 21 May 2015)

Main WIPs

Read 'em all. Indeed, they did subvert, twist, parody, and otherwise mess with the regular romance/Valentine's Day tropes, motifs, and themes. I found the entries blackly humorous, decidedly off-kilter, more than a tad askew. Some, more than others. Some, a lot more. . .
    As Mac said, it's all good.
    From CHERRY:

Last cut cut and the votes from the United Kingdom are in.

Good job everyone.

Okay, Harry, time to scoot over. . .

Hey, Haiku person is kicking butt and that ain't no surprise! Come see! There's an eclectic assortment of twisted Valentine goodness just waiting for you, so take you pick -- There's an Asshole Jar, a wink and a kink, Cupie Boopie, el cheapo gifto (it's the thought that counts!), Hideous Beastie and True Love Tex, Miguel the Venereologist, sweet love poison, Jim Good's crotch and one really long-ass turd.

I hope I didn't forget anybody!!! If I did, a pox on. . .

HarryHoskins.

Enjoy, and don't forget to do your civic doody!
    Last edited by kkbe; 02-23-2013 at 05:45 AM.
    From CHERRY:

Fact: My submission is pretty much tanking.
    Fact: Everybody who submitted an entry is a winner!
    Extrapolation: I submitted an entry, ergo. . .

Aw, man, my submission is getting spanked! But it's okay! We're all winners!

And this winner bows to Haiku!
    Last edited by kkbe; 02-24-2013 at 09:07 PM. Reason: We're, not W're. Ugh, can you fix it, Putputt???
    From CHERRY:

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast