Paragraph indentations in your MS? email vs. paper

HFgal

Who wants a cup of tea?
Registered
Reaction score
Hi,
This was partially covered in another email, but I'm still confused...

If I were snail mailing paper pages of my MS, I think I am supposed to do Times Roman 12, 1 inch margins all around, paragraph indentations, no line space between paragraphs. Is this right?

But if I am emailing pages of my MS, I think I am supposed to do Times Roman 12, margins aren't an issue... but here's where I get lost. Are you supposed to do paragraph indentations? If you don't, surely you have to do line space between paragraphs, or else how will you know a new paragraph is starting?

I'm hoping it is acceptable to do para indents and no lines between paras for BOTH, so that I don't have to have two different versions, but I'll do whatever is right if there is a clear right and wrong.

Jolly-Boo

Please, call me Boo
Registered
Reaction score
Hi,
This was partially covered in another email, but I'm still confused...

If I were snail mailing paper pages of my MS, I think I am supposed to do Times Roman 12, 1 inch margins all around, paragraph indentations, no line space between paragraphs. Is this right?

But if I am emailing pages of my MS, I think I am supposed to do Times Roman 12, margins aren't an issue... but here's where I get lost. Are you supposed to do paragraph indentations? If you don't, surely you have to do line space between paragraphs, or else how will you know a new paragraph is starting?

I'm hoping it is acceptable to do para indents and no lines between paras for BOTH, so that I don't have to have two different versions, but I'll do whatever is right if there is a clear right and wrong.

I don't know about the first one because I live in Norway so I'm sure as hell ain't gonna be sending snail mail to USA. But on the email one, you don't do indents, you just need a line space between the paragraphs.

HFgal

Who wants a cup of tea?
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know about the first one because I live in Norway so I'm sure as hell ain't gonna be sending snail mail to USA. But on the email one, you don't do indents, you just need a line space between the paragraphs.

Does anyone know if no-indent-yes-line-between-paragraphs is ALSO acceptable for paper/snail mail? I would think not, which means that you would have to have two different formats if you are querying both kinds of agents.

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
That's what I do, HFgal. I have two files, one with the properly formatted snail mail version (or the attached Word doc version) and another formatted for email. It's kind of a pain to keep two, but it's much easier to read an email formatted with spaces between paragraphs.

Deleted member 42

In either case, send a test version of the email to yourself before you send it to the agent.