Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: John Dies at the End

John Dies at the End

The adaptation of David Wong's mash-up of Lovecraft and Douglas Adams is crazy good. A new drug is in town, the kids call it soy sauce, and it gives out-of-body experiences like nobody's business, but it changes people, and it is an interdimensional invasion that can only be stopped by slackers Dave and John. Those are fake names. You should probably change yours too. I loved this movie. Go see it.

Clever and downright funny.

Boldly going nowhere in particular. Jess Haines's Avatar
    I loved the book, but I haven't had a chance to see the movie yet. Possibly this weekend, if it's up on Netflix Instant.
    Jess Haines
    The Official Antichrist of Pie
    www.jesshaines.com / Twitter / Facebook

"It doesn't get much better for pure urban fantasy than Jess Haines." --All Things Urban Fantasy

Latest Title: Enslaved by the Others:

I never read the novel, but the movie is a real whacked-out send-up of the horror genre and the acting is really good. Surprised to see Clancy Brown (Lex Luthor) in a very funny role and Paul Giametti is a standout, as always.

Were there any lizards in the book, Diana?

The book is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by J.S.F. View Post
    I never read the novel, but the movie is a real whacked-out send-up of the horror genre and the acting is really good. Surprised to see Clancy Brown (Lex Luthor) in a very funny role and Paul Giametti is a standout, as always.

Were there any lizards in the book, Diana?
    Don't know. I have the book on order, it should arrive today. No lizards in the movie. The book's sequel is entitled, This Book is Full of Spiders, Seriously, Dude, Don't Touch It.

Quote Originally Posted by Parametric View Post
    The book is amazing.
    I'm looking forward to it, very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Diana Hignutt View Post
    Don't know. I have the book on order, it should arrive today. No lizards in the movie. The book's sequel is entitled, This Book is Full of Spiders, Seriously, Dude, Don't Touch It.
    ---

I'll have to take a run up to Umeda (central Osaka) one of these days. The local bookstore carries very few novels in English (mostly textbooks on TOIEC and whatnot) so I'll check it out, as well as its predecessor.

I sorta miss the lizards, though...

Quote Originally Posted by Diana Hignutt View Post
    I read it and I can confirm that it is indeed full of spiders.

Sounds like fun.
    Fiction blog as Manuel Royal: Donnetown Today or Recently (or a Long Time Ago)

Fiction column under my real name: Welcome to Smyrnings ; continued as Spland of the Splost

Six-minute YouTube video produced by SandJack from my short script (NSFW): Make The Baby

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    John Dies at the End was the last movie I watched in 2012, and it just so happened to be one of my favorites of 2012 also -- and probably my favorite comedy/horror ever.

It's that good. A solid 8.5 all around except for when they enter the portal to when they return. That section is only a 5.5

I plan to read the novel in the near future, which I've heard is even better.