Artist's Tablets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 42

I'm starting to wonder if you're my drawing prof from way back when!

I can't even draw a box.

But I've worked at a lot of places where I was involved with or responsible for hiring decisions, and I got to work with some really amazing artists and designers.

I learned a lot.

JustinlDew

Shortest Query Winner.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justinldew.blogspot.com
Please note, I am an ethusiast, not a professioanle. But I use a used Wacom Cintiq, and an ipad 3 with retina display. As for styluses I've found I like the Bamboo stylus duo, the jot stylus and the sansu capactivtie touch paintbrush. I use sketchbook pro, paper(the app, not the dead tree), and a 3d modeling app I forget the name of. But I also carry around a small unlined notebook for quicksketches/notes. As soon as I find the funds I'm switching over to a iPad Mini.

Dorky

Registered
Reaction score
This thread is a bit older, but I’ll throw in my two cents anyway. Basically, get a Wacom tablet. Even an older Intuos3 in good condition is still a really good drawing tablet. They’re also considerably cheaper than their newer brethren, the 4’s and the 5’s. However, the feeling of drawing on a 3 compared to a 4 or 5 is very different due to the latter two’s different drawing surfaces.

Drawing software is a completely different matter, but still very important. Personally, I use Corel Painter, Adobe Photoshop, and OpenCanvas. They're each very different, and I use them to draw different things. Painter gives me my most traditional-looking art (pencil, oils, etc). Photoshop is what I use when I want to go for a digital look. I use OC when I don't want to pull up PS, since it's a more lightweight program, but it also has this really cool feature where you can download someone's files and see how they drew it. It’s pretty much like playing back a video.

Nearly all graphics programs have a trial version somewhere. I suggest grabbing lots of trials and seeing which one you like best.

chris ell

Registered
Reaction score
You need to ask yourself how serious are you about this. It won't take dozens or hundreds of drawings before you get good....try thousands :). Get a couple of pencils, cheap printer paper and eraser and start drawing what you see. Classes are good, great even, but I think more important it's to just draw. Draw every day. The difference between a good painter/graphic artist and the others it's not talent or what tools they use...it's the amount of time they spend in front of a sheet of paper/canvas/screen.
And another vote for a small Wacom. It's cheap and when you move up to bigger&better you can just give it away to the young ones in your family. If you don't wanna invest in professional software there are some decent, free ones out there.

ETA...and don't be afraid to experiment and try everything you can think of.

Status
Not open for further replies.