• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Need help with first 100 pages - YA fantasy/horror

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica_312

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I had started querying on my novel, and after a handful of partial requests that got my nowhere, I'm starting to think I need to revamp my manuscript. I feel like the first third of my story (roughly 100 pages) needs work. Whenever I read it now, I feel as though there is something missing that I can't quite put my finger on. I'm not sure if it's a pacing issue or what, but I could really use a fresh set of eyes to read through it and give me an honest opinion. I don't need line edits, or anything like that (though they are certainly welcome), mainly just someone to give me their perspective on the story, plot, characterizations...

I would greatly appreciate it. You can post here if interested, or PM me. My story is YA fantasy/horror. I had posted the query on QLH a while back, but I'll post it again here so you can get a feel for the story.

The Dead always ring three times. Seventeen-year-old Kayla Walters is the one who reluctantly answers the door. As Bonnesville’s Dead Talker, she helps the town’s deceased finish business and return to their graves, where their souls will remain until the Keeper comes for them.

Nearly 150 years ago, Bonnesville's founders agreed to a contract with a mysterious being known as the Keeper, signing away their souls and those of everyone in town in exchange for health and prosperity. Now, Bonnesville is full of lemmings who believe the Keeper plans to take their souls to paradise. But Kayla fears the Keeper’s intentions are much more malicious, and with his return now just two weeks away, she wants nothing more than to leave Bonnesville in her dust. However, no native-born resident can cross the town’s borders as long as the contract exists.

There’s only one way to leave town and keep her soul intact – find a way to break the contract before the Keeper returns.

Thanks in advance! :D

Guinea

Registered
Reaction score
I'll give it a whirl if you like. HTA I was intrigued by your QL.

Guinea

Registered
Reaction score
No problem. Love YA fantasy and I will give an honest crit as I lack the capacity of tact.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you need another set of eyes, I'd be happy to look it over. PM me if you want my email addy.

wazzujim

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Jessica, I'd love to help if you are looking for another set of eyes...

itsaplane

all the feels, ALL OF THEM
Registered
Reaction score
Woww, this sounds really interesting! If you still need another set of eyes, I'm totally down.

Jessica_312

Registered
Reaction score
Just wanted to say thank you all again so much for agreeing to help! I'm anxious to see what others have to say as far as characters (unique or cliched, interesting or annoying?), plot (can you follow it, is the pacing too slow/too fast, do any plot devices seem contrived?), and general tone (do I hit the right emotional notes at the right time? Scary when it's supposed to be scary, funny when it's supposed to be funny, sad when it's supposed to bed sad?). I still can't help but feel like something is missing, and there must be some reason I'm collecting rejections... There have even been a few days (bad days) where I almost threw my hands up and tossed the whole thing in the waste bin, but I'm sure all us writers go through that at some point or another...

Anyway, thanks again, guys! Much appreciated! :D

Guinea

Registered
Reaction score
Jessica. I have finished reading, and have sent my comments via email. Let me know if you need anything further.

breaking_burgundy

Registered
Reaction score
It sounds like a lot of people are interested, but I would be happy to give you one more opinion. (PM for email address.)

Status
Not open for further replies.