Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: What font are books printed in?

Sockpuppet

What font are books printed in?

Manuscripts are preferred to be written in Serif fonts like Courier and Times New Roman, I hear, though I've never seen an actual printed book in Courier. What font are novels commonly printed in?

I don't think there is a set font although I could well be wrong.

For what it's worth, why do you ask?

The Crazy Man in the Sun. Feel me. WillSauger's Avatar
    Yeah, I've never seen a standardized typeface either.

But I do write and prefer editing in courier new, I find it easier to tear apart, but by no means would I read it for pleasure.
    Last edited by WillSauger; 01-06-2013 at 06:59 PM.
    Don't Fear Failure.

"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn" -- Alvin Toffler.

"The heights of great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they while their companions slept, were toiling upward in the night" -- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.

Sockpuppet
    Quote Originally Posted by seun View Post
    I don't think there is a set font although I could well be wrong.

For what it's worth, why do you ask?
    While I was working on my novel today, it was just a random thought that popped into my head.

My New Cat Is Too Big for Shoulders Corinne Duyvis's Avatar
    I'm pretty sure people choose the font on a book-by-book basis, though it wouldn't surprise me if books by certain imprints used the same font. For examples, mass market paperbacks in a certain genre or... I'm honestly not sure, but there's definitely no One Font to Rule Them All or anything.

I do know that Amulet Books (a YA imprint with VERY GOOD TASTE... I mean... ahem) has a page at the back of their books describing the font they use. So maybe pick up some of those and flick through.
    Website
    Twitter
    Disability in Kidlit

"Original and compelling; a stunning debut." —Kirkus ★
    "Duyvis makes ingenious use of a fascinating premise." —PW ★
    "[Its] true strength ... is in its positive portrayal of LGBT issues." —SLJ ★
    "[S]ubtle, nuanced examinations of power dynamics and privilege." —BCCB ★

OTHERBOUND—now out!

Cultus Gopherus MacAllister SuperModerator Medievalist's Avatar
    There is a fairly large category of fonts that are known as book faces, but the type chosen for a particular book has a lot to do with aesthetics and with cost; some fonts are tighter than others and save space (and paper); some fonts are easier to read in small sizes, etc.

But common book faces for body text include Garamond, Palatine, Bookman, Janson, Optima . . . there are many others.

There are also fashion issues; typefaces go in and out of fashion, especially in the digital era.

Many books today still have a colophon, a section that is typically on the very last page but may sometimes be in the frontmatter, wherein the typefaces and sizes and leading, the book designer and the editor and typesetter and publisher will be named.

AW Admin
    About.Me
    AWers On Twitter
    Lisa L. Spangenberg
    My opinions are my own. | Who else would want them?

Retired Illuminatus dangerousbill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bri Perkins View Post
    Manuscripts are preferred to be written in Serif fonts like Courier and Times New Roman, I hear, though I've never seen an actual printed book in Courier. What font are novels commonly printed in?
    There are several typefaces suitable for books. Times New Roman, Arial, and Courier are NOT suitable, and lead to eye fatigue and inattention in short order.

I prefer Bookman Old Style or Book Antigua, both of which were included with my Word 2000 package. Try printing a page of text in TNR and Bookman and see the difference. Include a few italics and bolds to get the full idea.

Line and paragraph spacing also affects the appearance of a font.
    Dangerous Bill

'Lessons for a Dominant Woman' - A woman's journey, breaking out of the abused wife trap to enslaving her college professor. Romantic realistic femdom. A prequel to 'Lessons at the Edge' CAUTION: Explicit, 18+
    http://www.amazon.com/Lessons-Domina...=william+gaius

Azarath Metrion Zinthos AshleyEpidemic's Avatar
    Based off lessons in typography, which vary a bit, but they tend to agree on blocks of text. For a blocks of text online studies have proven sans serif fonts are easier to read, ie Verdana or Arial. For blocks of texts in print serif fonts are better, ie TNR and Palatino.
    So, I have this blog. It's here
    and a book blog
    I tweet too.

That hairy-handed gent
    Quote Originally Posted by AshleyEpidemic View Post
    Based off lessons in typography, which vary a bit, but they tend to agree on blocks of text. For a blocks of text online studies have proven sans serif fonts are easier to read, ie Verdana or Arial. For blocks of texts in print serif fonts are better, ie TNR and Palatino.
    Correct on the preferred uses of serif and non-serif fonts, but you'll look long and hard to find a commercially-produced book set in TNR. Even newspapers, which gave birth to it, have largely abandoned that font. It's much harder on the eyes than Garamond or the other fonts mentioned by Medievalist.

caw
    "Badger! Badger! The weasels have stolen my motor-car!"

"Frankly, Toad, I don't give a damn."

-- Gone with the Wind in the Willows

Azarath Metrion Zinthos AshleyEpidemic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blacbird View Post
    Correct on the preferred uses of serif and non-serif fonts, but you'll look long and hard to find a commercially-produced book set in TNR. Even newspapers, which gave birth to it, have largely abandoned that font. It's much harder on the eyes than Garamond or the other fonts mentioned by Medievalist.

caw
    Of course, I was just giving examples people would likely know.
    So, I have this blog. It's here
    and a book blog
    I tweet too.

Cultus Gopherus MacAllister SuperModerator Medievalist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blacbird View Post

caw
    Five years ago TNR was pretty common in genre fiction.

Right now, I'm seeing lots of Caslon.

Janson is still favored for books that need to be set really tightly; I first met Janson when it was used for setting the longer books in The Modern Library.

I had to use it to set Les Mise, and found it very frustrating because it was so very very tight. I've not used it since for anything.

AW Admin
    About.Me
    AWers On Twitter
    Lisa L. Spangenberg
    My opinions are my own. | Who else would want them?