How to turn a photo into a 3D, rotatable image?

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
So, the people over at Gallery Books made this nice banner for me for my Facebook page -

http://www.facebook.com/JamieMason.writer

I really like the way the image of the book cover is on a "book" and rotated slightly for a 3D effect.

Do you guys know how to do that? I've only got a flat image on my website, but I think the other way looks much cooler.

http://www.jamie-mason.com/

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Take a photo of your book rotated slight for a 3D effect? :)

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Since they created that image for your use, you could "steal" it and have someone familiar with Photoshop or GIMP do a little work on it so you could post it on your webpage.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
:)

Can you email somebody there and get permission to use that image (you'll want it both with and without the "Coming 2.12.13" graphic) on your FB page, or just "for promotion?"

I could probably recreate it. But it would be just that, a recreation. Not sure how legal that would be. (Yeah, it's weird to have to think about "that's my book, but not my image.")

Of course, if you have the book with the new cover we could place it on a background drop and photograph it to reasonable success.

Wonder what look we'd get if we placed it on some fresh turned earth...

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I don't have any books yet. They go to press here in a few days. Wheeeeee!

I'm sure they wouldn't care if I stole it from the Facebook banner (and I have one without the 2.12.13 sticker on it.) I'd already thought of that. But the image is a good bit smaller than I'd like on my webpage and I'm afraid I'll lose quality if I try to make it bigger.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When I said steal, I meant a simple e-mail asking permission to reuse the image they created fro you should be all that's required for something like this.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure they wouldn't care if I stole it from the Facebook banner (and I have one without the 2.12.13 sticker on it.) I'd already thought of that. But the image is a good bit smaller than I'd like on my webpage and I'm afraid I'll lose quality if I try to make it bigger.

You could try a mock version. Steal that image, do a simple crop, re-size it, and see how it looks.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
When I said steal, I meant a simple e-mail asking permission to reuse the image they created fro you should be all that's required for something like this.
Sure. I can do that. I'm sure they'll say yes. They'd probably make me an image like that in any size I wanted, but I hate bothering them if it's something I can do myself --- which, maybe I can't.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The 3D image on FB is about 160x266. The image on your webpage is about 225x339.

I just did a rough test. I would say re-sizing it loses about 15% of the image sharpness to the average viewer.

It would probably be better to get an original copy from the people who did the one for your FB page. The original is probably much larger. If you had the original size you could reduce the size yourself.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
The 3D image on FB is about 160x266. The image on your webpage is about 225x339.

I just did a rough test. I would say re-sizing it loses about 15% of the image sharpness to the average viewer.

It would probably be better to get an original copy from the people who did the one for your FB page. The original is probably much larger. If you had the original size you could reduce the size yourself.
I do have the original. It's enormous. I can am adpet at resizing it, but I just don't know how to get that turned, 3D effect and book-cover look.

You guys are right. I should probably just get them to do it.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Whoever did the 3D one probably has a much larger image of it. Ask for that (and if they don't have a larger one . . . smile sweetly and ask them if they would mind making you one).

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
There are photoshop plugins that make doing what you want a snap.

Photoshop, not Photoshop Elements.

I'd ask in the Design forum. I'll come back and post the name of the plugin I know about. Gotta go look it up . . .

ETA: See this post http://www.indiadrummond.com/2012/12/29/how-to-create-3-d-book-images/
Ah.I see. I think my best bet will be asking the Gallery people then. I don't have Photoshop - just a couple of more minor picture manipulating programs.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Somewhat off-topic . . .

I don't have Photoshop either, but I have GIMP. If you ever need a free graphics program that does a lot, GIMP works well. PS is still better for professionals.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Where did Medievalist go? Did she get distracted writing another wonderful FAQ, I wonder.

Al Stevens

Registered
Reaction score
In GIMP or PS, use the rotate tool to rotate the cover image a bit and the perspective tool to slant it. For the book body, make a copy of the modifed cover layer then fill in the white page surfaces.

That's about how I made the cover on this site, although my book isn't as turned away as yours. The Hardcover icon is a little more so. The perspective tool is what gives that illusion.

http://www.theshadowonthegrassyknoll.com/

Perks, if you'd like me to make one from your cover image, send a PM. No charge.