Status
Not open for further replies.

JustinlDew

Shortest Query Winner.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justinldew.blogspot.com
The urban fantasy I'm currently working on is going to be 100k words, and thats barebones plot, with world building I figure it's going to run roughly 125k words, give or take a thousand.
My question is two fold.
One, is this two high a word count and two what is the average word count for adult urban fantasy?

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
I'd say about 80-120K (UF likes to be on the shorter side)
But fantasy allows for longer stories, it's just the limit of vocabulary and keeping the reader on board.
If the story needs it, allow it to be longer or shorter.

Justin, remember, it's still your first draft. Most likely, you'll get to cutting in the next draft.

Reaction score
Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
I'd say about 80-120K (UF likes to be on the shorter side)
But fantasy allows for longer stories, it's just the limit of vocabulary and keeping the reader on board.
If the story needs it, allow it to be longer or shorter.

Justin, remember, it's still your first draft. Most likely, you'll get to cutting in the next draft.

^This.

CAMueller

Part-time ninja
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vampirebookclub.net
Most UF tend to clock in around 90-100K, but WillSauger is 100 percent correct that the range is as wide as 80-120K, though I have heard agents prefer shorter for UF versus traditional fantasy.

Like the others, I'd suggest not worrying about word count until you've finished and edited (and edited and edited some more) the manuscript. That word count can change drastically from draft to finished product. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.