AW Amazon Affiliate Store

Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Approaching an agent with a different genre

Threaded View

Just pokin' about Anna Spargo-Ryan's Avatar

Approaching an agent with a different genre

This is a ways off for me, as you can see from my sig, but I'm curious as to how others would approach this.

Last year a well respected and very experienced agent contacted me via my blog to ask if I had any plans to write a memoir (they're hugely popular in Australia at the moment), and that if I ever did, she'd love to read a few chapters. I was thrilled to hear from her, but although I like reading memoir I'm not planning to write one of my own.

My fiction WIP is very much around the same subject matter as my blog. Obviously it's a long way from completed, but when/if it comes time to query it, this agent is one I would have approached anyway due to her reputation and expertise.

Being that she's shown an interest in my work already, but in a different genre, and we've had a few minor connections since then (tweeting and LinkedIn, mostly), how would I query her? "I didn't write the stuff you asked about, but I did do THIS and it's not that dissimilar." or start as though we don't have an existing relationship?

Edit: Sorry, I should have mentioned that she does represent the genre I'm writing in, it's just not the same as the original reason she approached me.
    Last edited by Anna Spargo-Ryan; 01-04-2013 at 06:00 AM.
    Books: The Paper House, The Gulf, Foundlings (WIP)
    Tweets: @