Approaching an agent with a different genre

Anna Spargo-Ryan

Just pokin' about
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.annaspargoryan.com
This is a ways off for me, as you can see from my sig, but I'm curious as to how others would approach this.

Last year a well respected and very experienced agent contacted me via my blog to ask if I had any plans to write a memoir (they're hugely popular in Australia at the moment), and that if I ever did, she'd love to read a few chapters. I was thrilled to hear from her, but although I like reading memoir I'm not planning to write one of my own.

My fiction WIP is very much around the same subject matter as my blog. Obviously it's a long way from completed, but when/if it comes time to query it, this agent is one I would have approached anyway due to her reputation and expertise.

Being that she's shown an interest in my work already, but in a different genre, and we've had a few minor connections since then (tweeting and LinkedIn, mostly), how would I query her? "I didn't write the stuff you asked about, but I did do THIS and it's not that dissimilar." or start as though we don't have an existing relationship?

Edit: Sorry, I should have mentioned that she does represent the genre I'm writing in, it's just not the same as the original reason she approached me.

Last edited:

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Always make sure the agent represents the genre you want to submit.

If the agent asked about memoirs and you want to submit a historical fiction, she may not represent that genre.

Me, I would send her a little note, asking what other genre's she is interested in and if she replies with that which you want to submit, then send her another note asking if you could send her a query.

When you do, keep it professional, leaving out the chit chat stuff from previous conversations...

But others may have different opinions so do whatever you think works for you...

Anna Spargo-Ryan

Just pokin' about
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.annaspargoryan.com
Thanks for your thoughts :) She does represent the genre I'm writing in (mainstream fiction with a women's fiction bent). Your idea is a good one - a little familiar, but still professional. Thank you!

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I see no problem in doing so. Agents want good writers, and she's clearly impressed by your work.

First, though, you might want to do a little research and find out if she's a good agent, and if there are others you'd prefer to work with. You might find that there are better agents out there for you.