McAfee VS Avast

Deleted member 42

The only things I use are no script and https everywhere. I have my own email service as well. My use does not warrant antivirus, I also use a very secure search engine. I haven't ran antivirus in about a year. If I ever were to see anything happen, I would dban the hard drive and reinstall. I also do monthly backups. I used to have a regular user account as my main, and this point is very valid. I will take away my admin privileges today.

Dude I am so freaked out, I'm going to go check your avatar.

Malware can hide in cookies, in registry entries, in image files . . . some of it is tracking data, some of it is much more malicious.

I'm deeply deeply squicked.

Were you a user on a network I owned, I'd kick you.

You're a vector. Even if you're all right and tight, you can still pass on malware.

And I realize that there are likely a thousand AW members just like you—which is why I check the server constantly.

People have accidentally and not so accidentally linked to infected sites. I scan and remove those links by hand, but . . .

Last edited by a moderator:

ChristinaLayton

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I don't use anything and my pc runs wicked fast ...just don't pirate software and everything should be fine.

You cannot be serious. You're the first person I've seen online or in real life that's ever declared they have no anti-malware protection on their computers whatsoever.

I use Microsoft Security Essentials. I used it on a Windows 7 computer I had last year and now I'm using it on this Dell Mini with Windows XP. So far I haven't had any malware attack my computer, and I've been using this computer since Jan. 1, 2012, a year ago. I got it as a late Xmas present. :)

Charles Farley

Bango Skank
Registered
Reaction score
For what it's worth to Reg I believe Panda Cloud Antivirus is the best thing going right now.

Yeah . . I don't usually fall for all the "cloud" hype but this program will surprise you. It's real time protection from Panda's servers . .up to date almost as soon as a virus is discovered . . no drain on the computer . .

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I can't even use the age-old taunt "buy a Mac!" any longer. Granted, your chances of getting infected have gone from .00005% to .1%* but I'd still recommend something.

*from the Bureau of Pulling Statistics Out of My Ass

Paperback Writer

Learning the craft
Registered
Reaction score
It's like I went back in a time machine to the 60'
Dude I am so freaked out, I'm going to go check your avatar.

Malware can hide in cookies, in registry entries, in image files . . . some of it is tracking data, some of it is much more malicious.

I'm deeply deeply squicked.

Were you a user on a network I owned, I'd kick you.

You're a vector. Even if you're all right and tight, you can still pass on malware.

And I realize that there are likely a thousand AW members just like you—which is why I check the server constantly.

People have accidentally and not so accidentally linked to infected sites. I scan and remove those links by hand, but . . .
LOL I don't usually venture beyond a few favorite sites out on to the bigger internet. So lets assume I am a vector, how would I go about checking for it?

I looked up the whole meaning of vector, I can see why you're paranoid http://cybercoyote.org/security/av-top.htm

Last edited:

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
I'm not Medievalist, and my knowledge is far lesser, but I'll give you my thoughts anyway.

Scanning your PC is a good start. I'm going to recommend downloading Malwarebytes as well though, just in case Microsoft Security Essentials misses something.

Here's the thing, though: if you're already infected, a seriously clever (and seriously common) tactic for viruses is to hide from your scanners. They will make sure any scanning software you download after your infected fails. Keep an eye out for any weird behavior during or after your scan.

A clean reinstall of Windows is better if you might already be infected. Is this an option for you?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Paperback, Medievalist is not being paranoid--you are way too sure of yourself about not needing security.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
I looked up the whole meaning of vector, I can see why you're paranoid http://cybercoyote.org/security/av-top.htm

Missed this in my last reply because it was added in an edit.

As alleycat said, it's not paranoia. It's experience. Medievalist's been working in IT since 1992 (info via her site), she knows how easy it is for someone to become a major security threat without even knowing it.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
My personal preference is Kaspersky without a doubt. McAfee pissed me off last time I used it, and don't get me started on Avast. :D

I'd forgotten about Kapersky, also a good recommendation. Also I think there's a consumer version of NOD32 (the enterprise product is reportedly very good).

What issues are you seeing with Avast?

I haven't trusted McAfee since 1) back about 1994 one of their free versions failed to find about half the specimens in my virus "zoo" (including one that is plainly visible with a hex viewer and the naked eye) and 2) since I read an interview with John McAfee (done back in 1988 but I saw it some years later) where he expressed some rather... unethical ...thoughts about the, ah, duties of the AV industry.

Last edited:

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
I was kinda joking. ;) It's more personal preference, but I will say that Avast messed with some of my PC games that connected to Steam.

Oh... yeah, that would make it an unpreference real quick. Nothing pisses me off more than a program that messes with what ain't its business.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Malwarebytes is designed to pick up malware and spyware. It's not great at picking up viruses.
Avast is designed to pick up viruses. It's not great at picking up malware or spyware.

They're different programs for different purposes. Malwarebytes isn't actually an anti-virus program, just anti-malware.

Malwarebytes will play nicely with most antivirus, so I'd suggest the OP install Malwarebytes + [antivirus of your choice].
Good thing I kept Avast too then. Thanks. :)

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
*facepalm* Viruses are a type of malware.

And FWIW, I've had generally excellent luck, on a very large number of computers over many years, with MalwareBytes finding them, enough that it's a regular part of my arsenal.

ETA: do notice, though, that I said "part". There are no one-stop solutions in computer security, and as I said earlier, who's king of the mountain changes on a near-daily basis.

Last edited:

Deleted member 42

There are no one-stop solutions in computer security, and as I said earlier, who's king of the mountain changes on a near-daily basis.

I really really mean it when I say:

1. Don't run as Admin.

2. Use a resident up-to-date background scanning program that's installed on your computer. Don't use more than one; they'll step on each other.

3. Keep various scanning utilities (many are free and quite good) that live on a USB drive, and which you keep updated and which you regularly use to scan and clean your computer.

Charles Farley

Bango Skank
Registered
Reaction score
One other cool thing about MalwareBytes . .

run the scan in safe mode . . its alot quicker . . and you will get more hits

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
You're either engaging in poorly presented sarcasm or you shouldn't be allowed near a computer.

I'm on a Mac, running a non-admin account, and I run anti-virus.

I'm likely fine, but I do receive email and visit Web sites that may infect me with malware designed for Windows. I can be a vector.

Not using anti malware software is like having anonymous unprotected coitus.

You cannot be serious. You're the first person I've seen online or in real life that's ever declared they have no anti-malware protection on their computers whatsoever.

Yeah, I can't even use the age-old taunt "buy a Mac!" any longer. Granted, your chances of getting infected have gone from .00005% to .1%* but I'd still recommend something.

Meh. I don't use any anti-malware, and don't really plan to unless I need to get on a network that won't let me otherwise.

I used ClamXav about five years ago, but didn't feel the need to keep it around.

I don't have any on my phone or iPad either, anyway.

I wonder if Windows RT will even be able to run antivirus software.

Last edited:

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
*facepalm* Viruses are a type of malware.

You're absolutely right. I'm sorry for the poor wording.

I believe that my advice still stands, though: Malwarebytes is designed to complement an antivirus scanner, and not to replace one. The manufacture recommends than you run it with AV software and their current slogan is "Because your Antivirus alone is not enough". It doesn't seem to be designed as a fully-fledged virus scanner.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Malwarebytes is designed to complement an antivirus scanner, and not to replace one. The manufacture recommends than you run it with AV software and their current slogan is "Because your Antivirus alone is not enough". It doesn't seem to be designed as a fully-fledged virus scanner.

OTOH, it's way better at finding viruses than McAfee.

As I (think I) said upthread, I use a regular AV package that's always running, and use a secondary product like MalwareBytes once a week or so to catch things that fell through the first one. So I am not really contradicting your advice either, just the supposition that MalwareBytes is bad at finding viruses.

IOW, we mostly agree. *Offers chocolate-chip cookies of peace.*

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Just wanted to update... The full scan Security Essentials came out ok...it took like 7 hours, I'm running Malwarebytes right now to see what happens. I'm glad I'm not the only one not running AV as kuwi is doing the same.

If I were Windows, I'd keep around Microsoft Security Essentials. I probably wouldn't run anything on Linux, though. But all of that's just about self-protection.

For your own safety, I hope you're at least not still using XP or something.