free file-recovery download?

vigeo

# + ! = ?
Registered
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good, free file-recovery download? I had one a few years ago. It took hours before the recovery.
If I select one type of file at a time (documents only) will that speed up the process?

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
I use the pay version of Mozy and it worked very well when my computer died. They also have a free version (for fewer files).

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. Are you looking for a free file recovery website (such as Mozy or Dropbox), or are you asking about file recovery software?

vigeo

# + ! = ?
Registered
Reaction score
"I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. Are you looking for a free file recovery website (such as Mozy or Dropbox), or are you asking about file recovery software?"

I am looking for something I can download and use offline.

Geoff Mehl

Registered
Reaction score
I've had good luck with Recuva (recuva.com) which can do a fast grab of deleted files or a slower really-go-through-the-disk. As with any recovery app, it will not work well if a file has been overwritten. Otherwise, it's great -- very intuitive and free.

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
Also, make absolutely sure you save the recovered data to a different drive! Cuz otherwise, the new files are liable to overwrite some of the data you're trying to recover.

vigeo

# + ! = ?
Registered
Reaction score
OK, I'll soon give it a try.

kenebaker

Master of Meh!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kenebaker.com
You can also try Glary Utilities. There is a module to recover previously deleted files. Used it before and it was 100% effective. I can't remember if you can set it for individual file types, but rather let it do a comprehensive search to make sure you get everything.